Non-Jets Playoff Action

Why didn't Subban get penalized in the first for the high stick? They had him in the box and everything? Is there something in the rules about being allowed to whack someone in the head if the puck is in the air?

And the 5 + game was the right call. But I don't see the need for more from the league.

My biggest fear is Buff does something similar.

That sure as hell looked like a deliberate attempt to injure by Subban as far as I'm concerned....And they gave Buff four games for his transgression. Something wrong with that picture. What a load.

I only watched the clip once but I thought it was a fairly light tap and a heck of a performance by the Sens player.  If a Jets player did it, sure he's probably gone for two games but they arent going to suspend Subban and I really dont think he deserves a suspension as much as I dislike him.

That sure as hell looked like a deliberate attempt to injure by Subban as far as I'm concerned....And they gave Buff four games for his transgression. Something wrong with that picture. What a load.

I only watched the clip once but I thought it was a fairly light tap and a heck of a performance by the Sens player.  . P

Micro fracture in his wrist. Possibly out for the rest of the series

I only watched the clip once but I thought it was a fairly light tap and a heck of a performance by the Sens player.  . P

Micro fracture in his wrist. Possibly out for the rest of the series

Really???  Hmmm, well that does change things.  Injury on the play should always factor into discipline in my opinion.  This injury was a direct result of an illegal play on the part of Subban.  Therefore he should be suspended.  See, new facts changed my mind!  And people say I never do that. :-)

The slash by Subban was definitely intentional. He changed the positioning of his hands on the stick to give him more leverage. Stone wasn't even involved in the action.

The 5 min. was warranted, as was the game misconduct.

To me, Subban should be out for as long as Stone is..in that series. No Stone - no Subban.

There was no respect there for his 'fellow' hockey player, but I fear the NHL will not step in and do the right thing.

He will get nothing.

Guess I grew up in a time where a 2-hander to the wrists, shins, and wherever else happened 20 times a game during the playoffs - for both teams.  Without the theatrics from Stone I doubt it gets called at all.

good old days ?

Do you long for more boarding, cross checking, hooking, holding and slow players hacking at the legs of the faster guys?

That's what made me stop watching hockey. I'm really glad to see that they stopped that stuff.

Firstly, I don't believe injury severity/status should impact supplemental discipline. For every case where you can say, "well that guy's out 2 months, now throw the book at him!" there's just as many cheap/stupid/selfish plays that DON'T result in injury, and therefore aren't punished adequately.

Regardless of your stance on ^^^, the bigger issue is simply as wildly inconsistent the league is when it comes to penalties in the game and their resulting discipline, if any.

How does Carcillo get away with 2 min minor in a REGULAR season game for the Perreault crosscheck when Subban's results in a game misconduct?

This league has different interpretations of the rulebook depending on the crew calling the game. This league makes calls differently in October, January and April. This league has zero grasp of how to properly and fairly issue punishment...and lastly, there certainly seems to be different ways of calling penalties/suspensions if star players/big market teams are involved.

Best sport, worst league.

I do think injury factors in.  Although I agree that some guys are victims of dirty plays and they aren't injured.  But in "real life" if you assault someone, the severity of the injury can be a factor at sentencing.  I think it's reasonable. 

Listening to the radio analyze this, it appears Subban switched hand position for extra leverage and snapped the stick with more ferocity near the point of contact.  Clearly intentional.  Subban admitted as much when he said today that he didnt know where he would strike when he chose to slash.  The fact he admitted it should be the end of discussion as far as debating it.  It was WAY away from the place.  If there is any evidence that he did threaten Stone prior, then they should throw the book at him.

As it is, no action means the Sens will have to take their own action.  Officials will be calling everything next game.  So what, get your lowest minute player to two-hand Price across some very sensitive area.  Not that Im condoning that, but when the league turns a blind eye, thats what potentially happens.

I do think injury factors in.  Although I agree that some guys are victims of dirty plays and they aren't injured.  But in "real life" if you assault someone, the severity of the injury can be a factor at sentencing.  I think it's reasonable. 

Listening to the radio analyze this, it appears Subban switched hand position for extra leverage and snapped the stick with more ferocity near the point of contact.  Clearly intentional.  Subban admitted as much when he said today that he didnt know where he would strike when he chose to slash.  The fact he admitted it should be the end of discussion as far as debating it.  It was WAY away from the place.  If there is any evidence that he did threaten Stone prior, then they should throw the book at him.

As it is, no action means the Sens will have to take their own action.  Officials will be calling everything next game.  So what, get your lowest minute player to two-hand Price across some very sensitive area.  Not that Im condoning that, but when the league turns a blind eye, thats what potentially happens.

I think game 2 is going to be a gong show, subban should have got suspended, he's not going to be so the sens will take matters in to their own hands really.

Not suspending subban was probably the dumbest thing the league could do, cuz now if/when game 2 gets out of control, since you didn't suspend subban, how could you suspend another player for doing something similar. This is on the league, Quintal was a former montreal player, surely that didn't play a role in the non suspension did it? 

Guess I grew up in a time where a 2-hander to the wrists, shins, and wherever else happened 20 times a game during the playoffs - for both teams.  Without the theatrics from Stone I doubt it gets called at all.

good old days ?

Nope.

Do you long for more boarding, cross checking, hooking, holding and slow players hacking at the legs of the faster guys?

Nope.

That's what made me stop watching hockey.

I had kids.

I'm really glad to see that they stopped that stuff.

They did?  Somehow I see it every shift of every game.

If the NHL unveiled a new secret policy of slashing gets 5 and a game just in time for the playoffs, I'm fine with that.  They didn't.  The ref bit hard on a rather silly sell job from Stone.  5% of the time that slash gets 2 minutes.  The other 95% of the time, there's no call at all.

What will happen now is sometime in the next 7 days or so, one other player will get 5 and a game for a similar slash.  That way the NHL will be able to say the call made last night was totally normal.  And then no slash will get 5 and a game for the rest of the playoffs, because of course that's not normal.

Interesting explanation of the call from Kerry Fraser.

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-calls-on-subban-were-correct-1.258699

The major penalty and game misconduct assessed to P.K. Subban for slashing the wrist of Mark Stone was, in my mind, purely an academic judgement. Based on the parameters and guidelines contained in rule 61, Referee Steve Kozari had virtually no other option than to impose the major and game misconduct. The referee made the correct call and let me explain why.

Slashing is any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent's body, or on or near the opponent's hands, that in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck. Based on the severity of the contact, the referee can judge the slash to be worthy of a minor, a major or in the most severe case, a match penalty where he determines that the player deliberately attempted to injure his opponent. Beyond the severity of the slash, it is extremely important for you to understand that when injury occurs a major penalty MUST be assessed by the Referee under this rule. Whenever a major penalty is assessed for slashing, a game misconduct MUST also be imposed!

These three distinct options provide a graduated scale for the referee to differentiate between the various degrees of both the severity and the location of the contact on the player struck. The location of the contact can be factored into the referee's judgment as to whether an opponent is struck on a protected part of the body (such as pants or shin pads), versus a non-protected part of the body.

As Mark Stone was moving to establish a position outside Carey Price's goal crease, Subban drew his lower hand up the shaft of his stick commonly used to chop wood, brought his stick up and delivered a two-handed slash that struck Stone on an unprotected part of his wrist. Given the separation between the two players at the time, Subban had to bring his stick in an extended up and down motion which exerted some power and force through contact. Subban's stick accelerated distinctly through the lower portion of the delivery. As such, it was not a short chop in close quarters that might have resulted in a minor penalty. All this information would be have been factored into the Referee's perception of the infraction.

The fact that Stone was struck on an unprotected part of his wrist resulted in the immediate appearance by Referee Kozari that an apparent injury had been sustained by the Senators forward. Given the degree of the contact and the appearance of some form of injury to Stone, the referee did not hesitate to elevate the slash to a major and automatic game misconduct as per rule 61.

Given the fact that Stone returned to the game, I don't want to hear that the slash wasn't that hard or even worse that Stone embellished the contact. Stone's return was a credit to the determination all player's exhibit at this important time of the season. Stone was not close to 100 per cent upon his return and his ice time was greatly diminished. A bone does not have to be poking through a player's skin to determine the presence of injury for the purpose of rule 61.3 (slashing major)! Mark Stone clearly sustained an injury as a result of the force and location of the slash delivered by P.K. Subban.

Firstly, I don't believe injury severity/status should impact supplemental discipline. For every case where you can say, "well that guy's out 2 months, now throw the book at him!" there's just as many cheap/stupid/selfish plays that DON'T result in injury, and therefore aren't punished adequately.

Regardless of your stance on ^^^, the bigger issue is simply as wildly inconsistent the league is when it comes to penalties in the game and their resulting discipline, if any.

How does Carcillo get away with 2 min minor in a REGULAR season game for the Perreault crosscheck when Subban's results in a game misconduct?

This league has different interpretations of the rulebook depending on the crew calling the game. This league makes calls differently in October, January and April. This league has zero grasp of how to properly and fairly issue punishment...and lastly, there certainly seems to be different ways of calling penalties/suspensions if star players/big market teams are involved.

Best sport, worst league.

It can't be the only factor (e.g., video, players history, rules, etc.) but has to be ONE of the factors impacting severity of supplemental discipline. Then, it would control for minimizing a cheap shot with no injury not being appropriately assessed.