Game 69 : Jets @ Lighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4lB9WT2C4

Anyone think Kucherov will get any extra discipline for the hit on Enstrom ... I mean Engstrom ... Watched it a bunch and while Toby turns to see him coming, Kucherov is taking a bee line for his back the whole time, knocks him into the board from at least 3 feet out and leaves his feet as he pushes him into the boards.

Dangerous hit ... should get 3 - 5 games IMO

I was trying to remember - was that TB goalie the one that stood on his head for Latvia against Canada at the Olympics?

That was Kristers Gudlevskis.  He's with their AHL franchise right now. Vasilevskiy came from Russia and was in the World Juniors a couple years ago. Highly touted if I recall.

oh ok thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4lB9WT2C4

Anyone think Kucherov will get any extra discipline for the hit on Enstrom ... I mean Engstrom ... Watched it a bunch and while Toby turns to see him coming, Kucherov is taking a bee line for his back the whole time, knocks him into the board from at least 3 feet out and leaves his feet as he pushes him into the boards.

Dangerous hit ... should get 3 - 5 games IMO

Disagree.  He was skating fast, right on Enstrom's tail, and trying to get the puck.  Switch the jerseys up - if that was Lowry I'd want him to be doing exactly the same thing, skating as hard as he can after the puck carrier.  Then Enstrom decides to get cute and hit the brakes, cut back to shake him rather than continue in the direction he was heading.  Time between Enstrom doing that and Kucherov hitting him is what?  About a third of a second?  There is no reasonable way to avoid that hit once Enstrom makes his decision to cut back.

Kucherov was lining Enstrom up for a hit the whole time.  It was going to happen about 10 feet further down the boards, halfway between where they were and behind the net, and Enstrom was going to get absolutely wallpapered.  Enstrom thinks his chances of not getting hit are better if he cuts back.  He is incredibly wrong and steps right into the path of the player coming to crush him.  Switch the jerseys around, pretend that was Lowry hitting a Lightning player who made a similar bad decision in his corner and we end up getting 5 min and eventually losing the game.  People here would be losing their minds about how bad a call that was.

I don't hate the penalty call, it was made by the back ref (who was closer to the red line than the blue) and he couldn't gauge how little distance there was between the two players from where he was on the ice.  I'd be happy if all incidents like that were removed from the game, and if mistakes are made with incidents like that I'd prefer they be too harsh rather than too lenient, but 2 minutes for boarding would better reflect how Enstrom did more to cause that collision than Kucherov.  Supplemental discipline for a player who was forechecking exactly the way I'd want him to if he played for us?  I disagree.

Probably no suspension but I think I was against Lowry getting suspended too.  Dirty hit though.  Not specifically for malicious intent to injure (which is why it wont be a suspension), but when you're going into the boards like that, there is no reason to plaster the guy from behind.  I do think in the heat of the moment, he drove into Enstrom and part of that was Enstrom's size.

Good penalty.  No suspension.

For what it's worth, I was at Shark Club with a buddy who is not a hockey fan and doesnt understand anything about the game and he was beside himself on that hit.  He thought the guy should have been drawn & quartered.

No suspension for Kucherov, NHL didn't even review it actually.

Postma no out for probably the season with a significant lower body injury. When did that happen? 

Wow.  Jets are friggen snakebit.  Has any team lost as many man-games to injuries as the Jets?

Yes like 14 more teams including the ducks who have lost the most man games due to injuries. Jets are middle of the pack in terms of man games lost, the only "significant injury" really has been to perreault, the rest were, to be honest, somewhat short term injuries, just they all seem to happen around the same time. 

Postma no out for probably the season with a significant lower body injury. When did that happen? 

Probably around the same time Buff and Myers got healthy, Postma suffered a sprained roster management joint.

Probably around the same time Buff and Myers got healthy, Postma suffered a sprained roster management joint.

If it was just a roster move Maurice wouldn't have said it was a significant injury.

According to reports on Twitter, he was injured during the 2nd period but was able to finish the game. Amazing what adrenalin can do.

#NHLJets Maurice showed his sense of humour, sort of, when asked about TB coach Jon Cooper blaming Enstrom for Kucherov hit. Quote to come.

Maurice on blaming Enstrom: You really shouldn’t bang your face off the dasher when you get run from behind. We’ll talk to him about it.