BREAKING: Moose Returning to MTSC Next Season

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ahl/Manitoba-Moose-20-in-the-works-295455711.html?device=mobile

There's a strong chance the Winnipeg Jets will move their AHL affiliate to the MTS Centre this fall for the 2015-16 hockey season.

True North Sports & Entertainment had granted the group operating the St. John’s IceCaps a one-year extension last September, taking them through the 2015-16 season in the Newfoundland and Labrador capital.

The extension had been given, in part, to afford the group headed by former N.L premier Danny Williams some extra time to find another NHL affiliation agreement to take the place of the Jets-IceCaps deal.

It appears that has happened. The St. John’s group is believed to have struck an arrangement with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens, who currently operate their AHL affiliate in Hamilton, Ont.

The AHL’s board of governors could approve the new St. John’s deal and the shift of the IceCaps back to Winnipeg at a governors meeting later next week.

It’s not known if True North would return its AHL franchise name to the Manitoba Moose, but it seems likely.

The Moose were members of the AHL from 2001 to 2011.

True North began operating the team, first in the IHL and then in the AHL, when the original Winnipeg Jets franchise left for Phoenix in 1996.

When True North purchased the NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers and relocated the team to Winnipeg in 2011, it moved its AHL affiliation to St. John’s. True North maintained ownership of the AHL franchise but leased its business operation to the St. John’s group headed by Williams, to play in the Mile One Centre.

A three-year agreement was struck then, and then extended twice by one year.

Last January, the Jets said that try though they did, the geography had become too problematic, especially in the case of recalling players, and they were looking for a more workable base for their AHL base.

At that time, True North had also confirmed it joined forces with several groups with a proposal to build a new 5,700-seat arena in downtown Thunder Bay, Ont. True North’s part of the deal was that it had agreed to provide a full-time hockey tenant for that facility, hoping to relocate its AHL team there, much closer to home.

But no ground has been broken on the Thunder Bay project and funding for the proposed $106-million arena has still not been announced. It had been reported that the project — hoping to be open in September, 2017 — had a funding deadline at the end of this month or it might die.

All the way back to confirmation of its involvement in the Thunder Bay proposal, and likely earlier, True North has been exploring many options to bring its AHL affiliate into a more geographically friendly location, including Winnipeg on a temporary basis.

That seemed a possibility last summer but then in September, another extension for the IceCaps in St. John’s was announced.

The AHL would draw flies here. There is a real push to have an AHL West Division based mostly out of California so maybe a Jets AHL team ends up there.

Well obviously it would be temporary but what makes you think it would draw flies? Werent the Moose one of the best drawing teams in the league? And I'll be honest, I have way more interest in the Caps then I did the Moose because it's OUR players.

Add in the draft picks that are "home grown" and I think the Moose playing one or two years in Winnipeg would draw very well.

You now have way more interest in hockey then when the jets were gone. You have all the cross promotional opportunities. There should be significantly more AHL level fans now than before

The people that can afford NHL tickets bought NHL tickets or bought portions. There is a ton of people that are priced out or can only afford a few games that could still see their two jets games and now for the same price watch six moose games (or whatever).

Not to mention the 8000 waiting list that will surely be direct marketed for Moose tickets. I think they will do very well. Look at the interest level of the rookie camp every year. There is a huge interest in the "kids".

I'm sure TN's desire is not to have this happen permanently because it fills up dates at mtsc. And they probably received a guarantee money from their lease agreement with Danny but this could be very profitable in the short term.

And honestly I neger supported the moose. Saw one game as a work function. I felt emotionally blocked from being able to embrace them. There never was a real farewell to the moose or a thanks for how tjay franchise allowed for the return of the NHL. I think there will be some nostalgia too

The AHL would draw flies here. There is a real push to have an AHL West Division based mostly out of California so maybe a Jets AHL team ends up there.

Highly doubt the team wouldn't draw in Winnipeg considering we now have an NHL team, especially with the prospects we have. The Moose were at or near the top in AHL attendance even without the NHL.

Had a mini pack with the Moose so used to go to about 10 games per year.

The Moose were huge with kids and families. A family of four could actually afford to go to a game.

That is one of the biggest differences I've noticed between the Jets and Moose. The percentage of kids in the stands.

Throw in the affiliation with the Jets and I think they could do okay for a couple of years. I don't think they will draw as high as when the Jets weren't here.

I definitely think the Moose would draw very well possibly even more then what they had before.      If the prices are the same as the old Moose I can see the placed packed with families.   

The town is much more interested in hockey and so many people cannot even consider going to a Jets game because of the high prices this would be a much better alternative.  

Absolutely they will draw more than before. I think they will likely keep the upper deck closed other than for special occasions but 12,000 a game isn't out of the question. They will do a lot of marketing to get tickets out there there.

Those games will actually mean something and I think you will see a lot of the wait list people snap them up plus I'd assume they will offer a discount to jets season ticket holders.

I believe the Moose averages 7500-8000 over the 7 years they spent at MTS Centre.  I think the Ice Caps can draw a similar number provided the ticket prices are more or less comparable to 4 years ago when the Moose were last here.  Cheaper prices also need to extend to the concessions if they really want to cater to the AHL fanbase.  That means knocking a buck or two off soft drinks, beers and various food items.  They can't claim to market to families and those with middle and lower incomes if the pricing for  EVERYTHING doesn't reflect that.

I can't see them changing concession prices. It would be much too time consuming changing the pricing in the cash registers and any pricing displays depending on who is playing. It would also garner way too many complaints from Jets ticket holders and from ticket holders of non-hockey events.

I believe the Moose averages 7500-8000 over the 7 years they spent at MTS Centre. I think the Ice Caps can draw a similar number provided the ticket prices are more or less comparable to 4 years ago when the Moose were last here. Cheaper prices also need to extend to the concessions if they really want to cater to the AHL fanbase. That means knocking a buck or two off soft drinks, beers and various food items. They can't claim to market to families and those with middle and lower incomes if the pricing for EVERYTHING doesn't reflect that.

I'd be very surprised if they changed the concession prices. At least not until they know what kind of crowds they can draw.

I believe the Moose averages 7500-8000 over the 7 years they spent at MTS Centre.  I think the Ice Caps can draw a similar number provided the ticket prices are more or less comparable to 4 years ago when the Moose were last here.  Cheaper prices also need to extend to the concessions if they really want to cater to the AHL fanbase.  That means knocking a buck or two off soft drinks, beers and various food items.  They can't claim to market to families and those with middle and lower incomes if the pricing for  EVERYTHING doesn't reflect that.

That was when they were the only hockey in town. There was no NHL team. I think a WHL team could make a go of it but not an AHL team. What might happen is what some NHL teams have done. Put their farm team on ice (pardon the pun) until they find a suitable home & share their roster with another NHL team. The Flames did that for a complete season. Not the best situation but for a year it can be a workable situation. 

ISO think about it. Cheap alternative. Cross marketing. Players that matter. Baby jets. They will sell 10,000 plus

I really don't think if it will draw 10,000 plus.    They'd have to open the upper deck for that and the Moose only ever did that for playoffs.

A lot of the Moose core ticket base have Jets tickets now, and I can't see a lot of them getting tickets to both.  It is a huge time investment aside from the financial cost.

I think they can be successful for a year or two, but I don't think they will even draw what the Moose did when the Jets weren't here.