BREAKING: Moose Returning to MTSC Next Season

I saw in an article about this story that True North stated that a WHL franchise coming to Winnipeg didn't test well in polls they did back in 2012.  That really surprised me since nearly every hockey fan friend I have in Winnipeg would love to have a WHL team back in Winnipeg.  Wouldn't it make more sense if Thunder Bay falls through to put our AHL team in a place like Regina or Saskatoon and get a WHL team in Winnipeg?  Regina or Saskatoon could support an AHL franchise quite easily (make their unis green lol) and I gotta think a WHL team would be more affordable than even an AHL team.  I say this assuming that having the Moose back in Winnipeg wouldn't be permanent.  I just can't see Winnipeg supporting both the Jets and the Moose longterm.  But I've been wrong before.

Quick poll then..... WHL team or AHL team (Jets affiliate) for the longterm.  I'm curious what you all think.

I'm sure I heard the opposite. I could be wrong but I thought their market research was positive and they have been actively trying to buy a WHL team since. I remember there were rumours of them buying Regina I think it was and I heard on the radio people say it's no secret that every team that comes up for potential sale, TN talks to.

I'm sure I heard the opposite. I could be wrong but I thought their market research was positive and they have been actively trying to buy a WHL team since. I remember there were rumours of them buying Regina I think it was and I heard on the radio people say it's no secret that every team that comes up for potential sale, TN talks to.

Up until the article I saw (can't seem to track it down at the moment) I heard exactly what you had too.  Hence my surprise when I read it since it really makes no sense.  I just hope TN continues to try to bring the WHL back to Winnipeg.  It's unlikely the Pats or Blades will relocate since they both have new owners. The front runners at this time appear to be Kootenay and Lethbridge (although Lethbridge may finally be turning a corner).  

Wouldn't it make more sense if Thunder Bay falls through to put our AHL team in a place like Regina or Saskatoon and get a WHL team in Winnipeg?  Regina or Saskatoon could support an AHL franchise quite easily (make their unis green lol) and I gotta think a WHL team would be more affordable than even an AHL team.  

Someone tweeted a question to Lawless about the team playing in Saskatoon and his response was "no - can't see them trying to push the Blades out of business".  Same would go for Regina.

With the number of events held at the MTS Centre, the AHL schedule makers are going to have a fun time making up a schedule for the Moose.

There are lots of busy two-tenant NBA/NHL arenas, and you'd figure it'd be easier for an arena to host two hockey teams than a hockey & basketball team because you don't have to spend time and money continuously re-laying out the basketball floor.

With the number of events held at the MTS Centre, the AHL schedule makers are going to have a fun time making up a schedule for the Moose.

There are lots of busy two-tenant NBA/NHL arenas, and you'd figure it'd be easier for an arena to host two hockey teams than a hockey & basketball team because you don't have to spend time and money continuously re-laying out the basketball floor.
The Jets ice is Jets/NHL specific with the logos etc. Would the NHL allow the same ice to be used for an AHL team and would the AHL want NHL logos on thier ice?

The AHL probably just cares about having a team that might make some good money. Their games are rarely to never on TV so, doubt they would care too much. The NHL, well, who cares really what they think, they don't own the arena, Changing Logos probabaly isn't that difficult really in the scheme of things. Changing the center ice logo tho might be a bit of an issue. 

I would if board advertising would have to be changed. Not a problem if the sponsors buy ads for both teams but not all of them may want to do that.

The AHL probably just cares about having a team that might make some good money. Their games are rarely to never on TV so, doubt they would care too much. The NHL, well, who cares really what they think, they don't own the arena, Changing Logos probabaly isn't that difficult really in the scheme of things. Changing the center ice logo tho might be a bit of an issue.

A number of AHL games are shown on Sportsnet. Teams also have local broadcasts and there is an AHL Game Centre just like the NHL has.

I don't see this working too well long term. 

Most of my friends and colleagues who had Moose season tickets are now Jet season ticket holders.  Most have sold off portions of their tickets to other friends because it is difficult and expensive to go to 40+ games per year.   I don't see any of them stepping up to buy Moose tickets, as they are tapped out. 

On the positive side, there is renewed interest in hockey in this market, and there is some interest in the young guns in the AHL that we may be calling up to the big team in the next couple of years.  Tickets to the Moose would be significantly cheaper than NHL tickets.   Unfortunately, all of these factors would be consistent with casual ticket buyers, not with season ticket buyers.   A team needs a strong season ticket base to survive long term in a market.

I hope the issues in T-Bay get resolved.

I think we could handle the Moose for a year or so, but not much longer.

Great timing though, because the influx of talent coming through the affiliate (wherever it is) is going to be insane. Morrissey, Armia, Petan, Copp, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Glover, de Leo, etc etc

I think we could handle the Moose for a year or so, but not much longer.

Great timing though, because the influx of talent coming through the affiliate (wherever it is) is going to be insane. Morrissey, Armia, Petan, Copp, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Glover, de Leo, etc etc

This is exactly my point.  The AHL team now means something whereas it meant nothing before, unless you were a diehard Vancouver fan.  And I know a lot of NHL fans rejected the Moose for several reasons.  Either because they wanted NHL or nothing or because the idea of seeing "tomorrow's stars today" was offensive to a fanbase that lost the major league franchise.  It was always a different crowd at Moose games then Jets games.  The one Moose game I went to, I could not believe how quiet it was.  I could have had a conversation with someone seated on the opposite side of the arena.

This will be very different.  Without lifting a finger, True North has direct marketing to thousands and thousands and thousands of hockey fans.  Surely they will give current season ticket holders dibs, then waiting list members.  That will serve to ramp up anticipation and demand like it did for the Jets.  Sure, not to the same extent, but it will to a degree.  The players you mentioned will be players fans will WANT to see.

There are so many hockey fans in this city.  There will be some cross-over of Jets tickets holders buying Moose tickets but even taking into account the many fans who can barely afford their Jets tickets, there is a huge segment of hockey fans who cant afford Jets tickets at all that will be happy to watch a talented, young team.

They will do fine.  And the local coverage will be a lot better too.

It will depend on ticket prices, i wouldn't be surprised tho if theres some deals there where you buy jets tickets and get "moose" tickets for free. Or something along those lines, buy 2 get 1 free stuff. I went to a few moose games and the only one that was quiet was the first one, first time i went to MTS centre too, it was an odd environment but... went to a playoff game a couple times and it was pretty darn loud for sure. Did know lots of people who didn't like the idea of cheering on the canucks prospects tho, now that it will be our own prospects, who knows. Not sure why they don't just go check out grand forks or fargo or something, I'll bet those places would draw pretty well too. 

If they are still planning to move to Tbay, they likely can't put the team in a lame duck town.  I know when there was talk of Tbay, there was a lot of chatter of people in Winnipeg saying they'd love to go see some games.  I think the Jets prospects, especially with the team having more of OUR picks, will be a big draw.

If the Tbay deal goes ahead in not sure Hamilton would want a lame duck team.

Not lame, perm move. Just forget ThunBay.

Well they've got a vote on money for the development by the end of this month I think.  So it might be time for Plan B.  But obviously True North sees the Tbay development as an investment.  If I recall it was going to be like a mini-MTSC deal where they would have developed properties around the arena and end up owning half of Tbay.  Good for TN.

Isn't TN a partner in trying to get that building in TBay built? Like they are throwing in their own money, I mean, i know it's silly but.. you know what.. Selkirk has a nice arena lol, It's not 5700 seats but with a bit of an expansion it could be lol. Just saying but if that arena in TBAY is gonna be 5700 seats (it will get done), I don't think theres any doubt that for a year or 2, the "moosecaps" can draw at least that to a game here. At least. Probably more, i'd suspect around 7500. 

WINNIPEG – True North Sports and Entertainment, the owner of the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets, has plans on the drawing board to move its American Hockey League farm team to Thunder Bay, Ont.

The Ice Caps currently play in St. John’s, N.L., but could move as part of a potential deal announced Tuesday to build a new arena in the northwestern Ontario city.

“This is a real preliminary step,” True North owner Mark Chipman said Tuesday on Jets TV from Anaheim, Calif., answering questions about the potential move of his AHL team. “We’ve been in contact with our partners in St. John’s from the moment this became a possibility, and it’s something that we’re going to explore.”

tbay_downtown_01-lg.jpg?w=1200&h=667&cro

An artist’s drawing of proposed event centre/arena in Thunder Bay that could become the home of True North Entertainment’s AHL franchise.

Handout

The City of Thunder Bay announced in a news release Tuesday it found a “potential partner” to develop its event centre to include a 5,700-seat arena.

“As part of its submission, Thunder Bay LIVE proposes to bring an American Hockey League franchise to the city along with the Lakehead University Thunderwolves as anchor tenants,” the news release says. Thunder Bay LIVE! includes Stadium Consultants International, Global Spectrum Facility Management, True North Sports and Entertainment and others.

The St. John’s Ice Caps currently play in the 7,000-seat Mile One Centre in the Newfoundland capital. The AHL team is the former Manitoba Moose franchise, which moved to St. John’s in fall 2011 when the new Jets franchise began playing in Winnipeg. The AHL club is used by the Jets to develop new talent; players are frequently called up from St. John’s to fill the roster in Winnipeg if the Jets have a vacancy due to injuries or for other reasons.

Chipman says True North is committed to keeping the team there through next season.

They'll work something out in TBay, and if not there, they'll find another place relatively close to Wpg. Keeping them at the MTSC is extremely temporary and I'm sure would work fine for a couple of years.