CFL top 15 breakout players for 2015

gbill2004

15 for '15: Next season's top breakout candidates

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- Every season many new big names emerge, and 2014 was no different. With many first-year starting quarterbacks entering the spotlight and the breakout of rookie linebacker Dexter McCoil, last season may have been a once in a decade year for new talent breaking into the league.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of candidates primed for big things in 2015, especially as some veterans move teams and spots vacate. Younger players are ready to move into bigger roles, which means we can expect to see some big new emerging stars.

Here are the top 15 players we think could step into stardom next season:

15. Frederic Plesius

Plesius took on a bigger role on the Ticats’ defence in 2014, his second season in the league, and should be ready to take the next step in year three. Above him on the depth chart is Taylor Reed, currently unsigned through 2015, and if he doesn’t return to Hamilton then Plesius will see a spike in playing time.

Either way, expect his role to increase next season and if it does, he’s certainly got the ability to make shockwaves on a fast-rising defence.

14. Deon Lacey

While last year was all about Dexter McCoil on the Eskimos’ defence, next year could be the year another young talented linebacker emerges. Deon Lacey was the CFL’s leading tackler on special teams in his rookie year, and with Rennie Curran possibly ready to venture south, the 24-year-old could be ready to get his shot.

Lacey is big and versatile, having lined up at both middle linebacker and defensive end through the 2014 campaign. He brings all the tools to play in Chris Jones’ defence, making him a perfect breakout candidate for next year.

13. Derek Walker

A less known member of the league’s most vicious defensive line, Derek Walker was an active participant on the Riders’ front four last season. He picked up five sacks and 32 tackles in 14 games lining up at defensive tackle, and could be primed for more next year.

Having George back under contract will only help his cause, while the team now waits on only Ricky Foley to return all starters on the D-line next season.

12. Mardy Gilyard

Just like teammate Bear Woods, the start of Gilyard’s CFL career has been derailed by injuries. The speedster showed what he’s capable of as a key piece in the Als’ Eastern Final matchup with the Ticats, though, and should be ready to carry that into 2015.

With Carter likely out and S.J. Green also potentially leaving through free agency, Gilyard’s role next season could be a vital one in the Alouettes’ offence.

11. Matthias Goossen

Goossen was a highly-touted draft pick and earned a role in the Bombers’ starting lineup last season under rookie head coach Mike O’Shea. A rookie starting on the offensive line is hard to find in the CFL, but Goossen didn’t seem in over his head.

Expect him to build on a promising rookie season as he provides a potential anchor for this O-line heading into the future.

10. Devon Bailey

Bailey only picked up 219 yards on 17 catches in just over half a season of action, but started to play a larger role as the season came to an end, especially with Shamawd Chambers out of the lineup.

With Fred Stamps possibly headed out of town, expect Bailey to make a significant impact next season. Bailey may have the highest ceiling of any Esks receiver other than Adarius Bowman, and could make a formidable duo with last year’s leading receiver.

Stay up to date with the 2015 Free Agent Tracker

9. Khalil Paden

Pundits have circled the receiver position as one the REDBLACKS need to improve, but some players already on the roster could fill the need with another year of development. Paden is one of those players, as the 25-year-old offers a combination of size and speed that could lead to many big plays.

He had four catches of 20 yards or more, including a 77-yard grab in last year’s season finale against the Argos. Paden will face plenty of competition in camp, but he appeared to learn the game fast for a rookie and should be much more polished with another camp under his belt.

8. Kenny Stafford

Stafford came into the CFL high on potential, but never quite climbed the depth chart enough to make a major impact on the Als’ offence. With both Duron Carter and S.J. Green possibly on the way out as free agents, is 2015 the year Stafford breaks out?

We know the Alouettes like their big targets, and Stafford at six-foot-four has had two years to learn the game and hone his craft. It’s a matter of now or never for the 24-year-old, and we’re leaning towards now.

7. Anthony Coombs

Converted from running back to slotback, Coombs has taken the same path in the Argo offence that current star slotback Andre Durie once took. It turned out well for Durie and Coombs could be headed towards the same fate.

His season ended prematurely on a shoulder injury, but Coombs picked up 214 yards on 22 catches. His ability as a runner to pick up yards after the catch and excel in open space makes him a perfect fit for the Argo offence, and it should come to fruition in 2015.

6. Shamawd Chambers

Chambers was making his biggest impact yet in the Eskimo offence in 2014, until an injury put an early end to his season. He seemingly won the favour of rookie head coach Chris Jones last year, earning more playing time and just recently, a contract extension.

The Eskimos are deep at receiver and outside of Adarius Bowman tend to spread the ball evenly, but Chambers could be in line for a big season now heading into his fourth CFL season.

5. Jeff Fuller

The Stampeders are loaded at receiver, especially with the recent breakthrough of Eric Rogers, but Fuller is an exceptional talent and has had no issue breaking through in the past. At six-four, he’s a dominant possession receiver that can seemingly out-duel any defender in a jump-ball situation.

He’ll likely have to battle with Maurice Price and Joe West in training camp for a spot in the starting lineup, but with his physical upside we won’t expect him to be left out next year. The biggest question will be whether he can stay healthy.

4. Pierre Lavertu

Last year’s first overall pick played in 15 games in 2014, mostly backing up standout centre Brett Jones. With Jones possibly headed south for an NFL tryout, Lavertu could look to follow in Jones’ footsteps as a dominant young anchor for Calgary’s league-leading offensive line.

The Stampeders surrendered the fewest sacks in the league last season and should Jones leave, the departure would be difficult to overcome. But John Hufnagel and co. seem to know how to build success on the O-line, and Lavertu should be next to step in and star among Calgary’s big men.

3. Matt Walter

He’s the only free agent on this list and one of the least-talked about free agents this year, but a team could score a big touchdown should it pry the Calgary native out of the Stampeders’ hands. Walter is an elusive back with a powerful build but plenty of speed to burn, and has shown he can be a premier back in filling in periodically for Jon Cornish.

Cornish and Edmonton’s John White are the top runners in the league right now, but with uncertainty everywhere else, Walter could secure a starting spot in someone’s backfield and become a star in 2015 – something that’s sure to be on his mind entering free agency.

2. Paris Cotton

Everyone was shocked when the Bombers sat and eventually released rookie running back Nic Grigsby, but within a few weeks it was quickly understood why. The Bombers’ run game started to struggle with Grigsby in there, and the injection of Cotton late in the season provided a significant boost.

Cotton rushed for 361 yards and a 5.5-yard average on 66 carries, mostly over the final four-game stretch of the season. He helped the Bombers stay competitive in their late-season games, including a victory over Calgary to close out the season.

1. Eric Rogers

This is one of the more obvious choices on the list, as Rogers was already a breakout star in the Grey Cup Playoffs. But after playing in only two regular season games, the 23-year-old rookie caught eight passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns in wins over Edmonton and Hamilton to capture the 102nd Grey Cup.

Rogers is big at six-foot-three, 210 pounds, while he’s also displayed speed, flashiness and good hands. Most impressive about him though is how quickly he’s picked up the game. Scariest is how much better he could get. Two words for 2015: look out.

Interesting list. Walker from the Riders is definitely going to have a great year now that he is platooning with Guyton. The Rider front 4 is going to be even better than last year. With Emry locking down the middle, more heat from up front is definitely coming. I'm excited to see things unfold.

Other player on list that grabs my attention is Cotton. He looked solid last year and locked down the starting spot IMO. I posted on here before that you guys had found the guy you were looking for, With the improvements on the OLine he could be the x factor and have a huge year IMO.

I still can't believe that the redblacks cut Rogers. Wow. 

It was a shrewd maneuver by GM Desjardins. The guy he really wanted was Price. All he had to do was get a better receiver, cut him, allow him to to go to Calgary, prove himself better than Price, then, and this is the good part, trade a good defensive player in order to get him. I mean, who else could have thought of such strategy?

I think Cotton is going to be a good one, but I am looking to Goossen and Graig Newman to be impact players this year. I keep getting this nagging feeling that Willy is not going to live up to expectations this year, and I hope that our backups are as good as we think.

I just hope Cotton is not hurt again like he was in TC last year, that really set him back. And I still maintain that one game he wasn't sober. No way, he dropped two passes right to him (that were no more than a little pitch) because he was slow to react and fumbled a punt. My bet he was playing hurt and on pain killers and took too many, as that did not look even remotely normal to me. I think we cut Grigsby once he (Cotton) was finally healthy and free from pain killers. Grigsby though, looked great in Hamilton after the first couple of weeks. He's no where near as bad as the folks here like to think he was. 

I just hope Cotton is not hurt again like he was in TC last year, that really set him back. And I still maintain that one game he wasn't sober. No way, he dropped two passes right to him (that were no more than a little pitch) because he was slow to react and fumbled a punt. My bet he was playing hurt and on pain killers and took too many, as that did not look even remotely normal to me. I think we cut Grigsby once he (Cotton) was finally healthy and free from pain killers. Grigsby though, looked great in Hamilton after the first couple of weeks. He's no where near as bad as the folks here like to think he was. 

Grigsby in the open... No one can touch him. He... could.... go.... all... the... way. Oh, he's brought down by a slight gust of wind. Outta nowhere.

A) insinuating cotton was high or drunk on the field is asinine.. Guy could have bad anxiety for all you know or had the flu.. Not sober tho, douchy comment..

B) Hamilton's oline and mobile QB made grigsby look better there then here.. If he was so good, why is he unsigned?

Smh.

A) insinuating cotton was high or drunk on the field is asinine.. Guy could have bad anxiety for all you know or had the flu.. Not sober tho, douchy comment..

B) Hamilton's oline and mobile QB made grigsby look better there then here.. If he was so good, why is he unsigned?

Smh.

I agree. Not the best thing to say about a player.

Grigsby in the open... No one can touch him. He... could.... go.... all... the... way. Oh, he's brought down by a slight gust of wind. Outta nowhere.

If you mean all the way sideline to sideline, I would agree. But sudden gusts would still be a problem. I don't think he will be in the league this year.