Winnipeg Outdoor Heritage Classic game could be postponed

Rich

I have nothing against wade here and I understand all sides. My point is wade expressed unhappiness with why Bettman said and then confirmed what he said was accurate.

It's simple. January is too cold. What the Bombers wanted for costs to keep Igf open for a feb date was too steep. It was November or December and the Bombers wouldn't open those dates due to grey cup.

People defend Bettman? That guy has been a complete ******* for years. Done a piss poor job as Commish too.

This is incorrect.

Now your beling deliberately obtuse.. How many failures can we lay at his feet.... Lets see..

Horrible attendance levels..

Failed expansion and contraction...

Horrible amassador for the NHL on international markets..

Im sure there is many more but im still stunned you have support for the clown..

Can understand Bombers not wanting it in December, like it or not, the Grey Cup is bigger than an Outdoor Hockey Game, it makes the bombers money, that stadium is a football stadium first and foremost also so makes sense why they wouldn't want it that close to the Grey Cup.

Not sure why the Jets didn't want it in January, that makes very little sense and not sure why the NHL didn't want it in February. 

Reality is, all 3 are at fault and nobody is at fault at the same time, THe NHL obviously is gonna play this up like they aren't at fault when in reality, the game probably could have been played in February, NHL makes all the money off this, people who aren't Bomber or Jets season ticket holders wouldn't be going, NHL would give seats away to all their sponsors so for a guy like me, no season tix to Jets or Bombers, i'd watch it on TV cuz no way i'd even get a shot at getting tickets so to me, it's not a big deal at all. 

2016, 2017 whatever really works... Just don't like the blame game the NHL was obviously playing when they themselves are at fault a little bit too. They make all the money, sounds like the bombers would make very little and the Jets very little if anything also. NHL is at fault. Quite frankly, i'm not sure why any team would want to host one of these outdoor games when it sounds like the NHL makes all the profit. 

The commissioner will always take the blame but anyone who thinks Bettman is the devil after all this time is being dense.

The commissioners job is not as easy as people think.

He drastically increased revenue which was his main mandate. He expanded the league significantly. He won cost certainty for his owners. He increased television rights contracts.

Yeah, Gary Bettman is a superstar alright.

"He drastically increased revenue which was his main mandate. He expanded the league significantly. He won cost certainty for his owners. He increased television rights contracts."

He did this by giving us teams in Columbus, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Carolina, and Florida and charged these teams ridiculous franchise fees.

He gave us an abundance of minor league players who try to move 200 feet up the ice all while trying not to look down at the puck. 

He allowed these these minor league players to earn major league wages and who cares if the average hockey fan can't afford a live game anymore?

And blessed be Bettman for giving us hockey in June.

Who doesn't want to be inside watching hockey when the warm winds are blowing outside?

Yes, thanks Gary, for even acknowledging there are hockey fans in a far north land in a city like Winnipeg.

Too bad that mean Mr. Miller had the nerve to stand up and say NO.

He's the real bad guy in this scenario.

I have nothing against wade here and I understand all sides.

Ah, the classic "No offence, but (says something incredibly offensive)."

Saying you have nothing against Wade in a preamble means very little when you have demonstrated on multiple occasions elsewhere that you do.

Wade miller seems like a bit of a ****. I like that he takes exception to what Bettman said and then confirms what Bettman said was completely correct. He's out of his league.

So that was your takeaway from reading that article?  Goodness.

All parties had agreed on a date in February, then 2 weeks ago the NHL changed it's mind.

They scrambled to find an alternative date.  Two possibilities were looked at.  One in January, one in December.

The Jets nixed the one in January.  The Bombers nixed the one in December.

Your takeaway from all of this?  Miller is a **** who is out of his league?

Give your head a shake.

Better yet, don't do anything to enhance the concussion you may be experiencing, and re-read the article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Blue-bombers-Not-our-fault-no-Heritage-Class-in-Winnipeg-289687431.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Blue bombers: Not our fault no Heritage Classic in Winnipeg

By: Ed Tait

COLUMBUS — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are weary of wearing the goat horns for the postponement of the Heritage Classic that was planned at Investors Group Field next winter.

Bomber president and CEO Wade Miller took exception to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s suggestion Saturday here at the All-Star Weekend’s festivities that the game has been delayed because the football club wouldn’t make the stadium available in December.

Bettman, in announcing a slate of three outdoor games in Boston (Canadiens vs. Bruins) on New Year’s Day, in Minnesota (Wild vs. Chicago) on Feb. 21 and Denver (Avalanche vs. Detroit) on Feb. 27, did say the league hoped to play a fourth game in Winnipeg but the three parties — including, obviously, the Jets — couldn’t agree on a date.

Since the postponement became official last week, the Bombers have been taking flak for not making the stadium available in December — a date that was too close to the 2015 Grey Cup game to be held at IGF on Nov. 29th.

"It’s unfortunate the commissioner of the NHL may not have all the facts with regards to the Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," said Bombers President Wade Miller. "All three parties had agreed on the date in February. Within the last two weeks, we were told that didn’t work for the NHL.

"There was a date in January that didn’t work for True North and a date in December that didn’t work for the Bombers. We look forward to hosting the game next year or the year after."

Bettman did promise as much in his address Saturday.

"We had hoped to have a fourth outdoor game in 2015-16 season, a Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," he said. "We were unable to agree with the Blue Bombers on a date that would make each comfortable. Hopefully we can schedule something for the following season. There are no firm plans to announce other than it’s something we’d like to do because we very much wanted an outdoor game next season in Winnipeg."

Jets governor Mark Chipman, meanwhile, said Saturday he was disappointed, but they completely understand the Bombers position on not wanting a Heritage Classic game in December and so close to the Grey Cup.

The good news for the Bombers, Jets and the NHL is this: the initially proposed game for Winnipeg in February 2016 may still happen in the same calendar year with a possible Heritage Classic in December of next year.

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

Yeah, Gary Bettman is a superstar alright.

"He drastically increased revenue which was his main mandate. He expanded the league significantly. He won cost certainty for his owners. He increased television rights contracts."

He did this by giving us teams in Columbus, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Carolina, and Florida and charged these teams ridiculous franchise fees.

He gave us an abundance of minor league players who try to move 200 feet up the ice all while trying not to look down at the puck. 

He allowed these these minor league players to earn major league wages and who cares if the average hockey fan can't afford a live game anymore?

And blessed be Bettman for giving us hockey in June.

Who doesn't want to be inside watching hockey when the warm winds are blowing outside?

Yes, thanks Gary, for even acknowledging there are hockey fans in a far north land in a city like Winnipeg.

Too bad that mean Mr. Miller had the nerve to stand up and say NO.

He's the real bad guy in this scenario.

Why so mad bro?  I didnt realise Bettman was responsible for training the next generation of NHL players.  You realise if you were commissioner when there were, what 24 teams, and you told the owners your plan was to keep 24 teams and make the on ice quality that much better, they would immediately fire you.

Bettman works for the owners.  His job is to increase revenue and expand the league.  Not every expansion franchise was a mistake and the idea only the southern expansion franchises were trouble is a myth.  Winnipeg Jets 1.0 were on the verge of bankruptcy (bailed out by the government), Ottawa went bankrupt.  Buffalo went bankrupt.  Edmonton almost moved.

But keep telling yourself that Bettman is the devil. Without that devil you wouldnt be watching the Winnipeg Jets right now.

I have nothing against wade here and I understand all sides.

Ah, the classic "No offence, but (says something incredibly offensive)."

Saying you have nothing against Wade in a preamble means very little when you have demonstrated on multiple occasions elsewhere that you do.

Wade miller seems like a bit of a ****. I like that he takes exception to what Bettman said and then confirms what Bettman said was completely correct. He's out of his league.

So that was your takeaway from reading that article?  Goodness.

All parties had agreed on a date in February, then 2 weeks ago the NHL changed it's mind.

They scrambled to find an alternative date.  Two possibilities were looked at.  One in January, one in December.

The Jets nixed the one in January.  The Bombers nixed the one in December.

Your takeaway from all of this?  Miller is a **** who is out of his league?

Give your head a shake.

Better yet, don't do anything to enhance the concussion you may be experiencing, and re-read the article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Blue-bombers-Not-our-fault-no-Heritage-Class-in-Winnipeg-289687431.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Blue bombers: Not our fault no Heritage Classic in Winnipeg

By: Ed Tait

COLUMBUS — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are weary of wearing the goat horns for the postponement of the Heritage Classic that was planned at Investors Group Field next winter.

Bomber president and CEO Wade Miller took exception to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s suggestion Saturday here at the All-Star Weekend’s festivities that the game has been delayed because the football club wouldn’t make the stadium available in December.

Bettman, in announcing a slate of three outdoor games in Boston (Canadiens vs. Bruins) on New Year’s Day, in Minnesota (Wild vs. Chicago) on Feb. 21 and Denver (Avalanche vs. Detroit) on Feb. 27, did say the league hoped to play a fourth game in Winnipeg but the three parties — including, obviously, the Jets — couldn’t agree on a date.

Since the postponement became official last week, the Bombers have been taking flak for not making the stadium available in December — a date that was too close to the 2015 Grey Cup game to be held at IGF on Nov. 29th.

"It’s unfortunate the commissioner of the NHL may not have all the facts with regards to the Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," said Bombers President Wade Miller. "All three parties had agreed on the date in February. Within the last two weeks, we were told that didn’t work for the NHL.

"There was a date in January that didn’t work for True North and a date in December that didn’t work for the Bombers. We look forward to hosting the game next year or the year after."

Bettman did promise as much in his address Saturday.

"We had hoped to have a fourth outdoor game in 2015-16 season, a Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," he said. "We were unable to agree with the Blue Bombers on a date that would make each comfortable. Hopefully we can schedule something for the following season. There are no firm plans to announce other than it’s something we’d like to do because we very much wanted an outdoor game next season in Winnipeg."

Jets governor Mark Chipman, meanwhile, said Saturday he was disappointed, but they completely understand the Bombers position on not wanting a Heritage Classic game in December and so close to the Grey Cup.

The good news for the Bombers, Jets and the NHL is this: the initially proposed game for Winnipeg in February 2016 may still happen in the same calendar year with a possible Heritage Classic in December of next year.

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

Yes, thank you for reiterating my point that waht Bettman said was 100% true and what Wade said was not.  Wade took exception to Bettman's 100% accurate comments and then proved them true by what he said.

Regardless of the Feb date, the NHL then asked for December and the Bombers said no.  Thats what Bettman said.  That was true.

Maybe get your head out of your ass, it makes reading easier.

Why so mad bro?  I didnt realise Bettman was responsible for training the next generation of NHL players.  You realise if you were commissioner when there were, what 24 teams, and you told the owners your plan was to keep 24 teams and make the on ice quality that much better, they would immediately fire you.

Bettman works for the owners.  His job is to increase revenue and expand the league.  Not every expansion franchise was a mistake and the idea only the southern expansion franchises were trouble is a myth.  Winnipeg Jets 1.0 were on the verge of bankruptcy (bailed out by the government), Ottawa went bankrupt.  Buffalo went bankrupt.  Edmonton almost moved.

But keep telling yourself that Bettman is the devil. Without that devil you wouldnt be watching the Winnipeg Jets right now.

Nah, I'm pretty sure I know who Bettman is, and  I'd even have a beer with him,

But trust him? or believe he has hockey's best interest in mind?

No way.

But - you keep telling yourself - that he doesn't talk double-speak, and that the only thing he cares about is the hockey for hockey's sake - if that makes you feel bettman better.

Nah, I'm pretty sure I know who Bettman is, and  I'd even have a beer with him,

But trust him? or believe he has hockey's best interest in mind?

No way.

But - you keep telling yourself - that he doesn't talk double-speak, and that the only thing he cares about is the hockey for hockey's sake - if that makes you feel bettman better.

Ofcourse he talks in double speak.  This is the guy who said the Thrashers were not moving, were not in trouble and everything was fine up to the very moment he appeared at a presser in Winnipeg to announce the relocation.  Thats his job.

He has the best interests of the NHL and the owners in mind.  That's his job.  And the NHL as an organization is bigger and richer than it was before he came along.  So he's been very successful at his job.

Ofcourse he talks in double speak.  This is the guy who said the Thrashers were not moving, were not in trouble and everything was fine up to the very moment he appeared at a presser in Winnipeg to announce the relocation.  Thats his job.

He has the best interests of the NHL and the owners in mind.  That's his job.  And the NHL as an organization is bigger and richer than it was before he came along.  So he's been very successful at his job.

Thank you for proving my point.

I'll just edit out your temper tantrum and get to the meat:

Yes, thank you for reiterating my point that waht Bettman said was 100% true

Yes, the 30% of the facts he presented was 100% true.

and what Wade said was not.  Wade took exception to Bettman's 100% accurate comments

Wade took exception to Bettman leaving out the other 70% of the truth to paint them as the bad guy in this situation.  Which seems to have worked on you.

and then proved them true by what he said.

Funny, my kids know that deliberate omission isn't the same thing as telling the truth.  You and Bettman, well, I guess my children could teach you some maturity.

I'll just edit out your temper tantrum and get to the meat:

Yes, thank you for reiterating my point that waht Bettman said was 100% true

Yes, the 30% of the facts he presented was 100% true.

and what Wade said was not.  Wade took exception to Bettman's 100% accurate comments

Wade took exception to Bettman leaving out the other 70% of the truth to paint them as the bad guy in this situation.  Which seems to have worked on you.

and then proved them true by what he said.

Funny, my kids know that deliberate omission isn't the same thing as telling the truth.  You and Bettman, well, I guess my children could teach you some maturity.

You're being deliberately obtuse when you knew my statement was factual.  NHL wanted December.  Bombers said no.  End of story.  Not sure why you're getting your panties so knotted about that.  Is Wade your brother? (kidding, I know Wade's brother).

Seems someone is missing the part where it said all 3 agreed on the February date until 2 weeks ago when the NHL said no. So really a deal was in place but NHL changed their mind last minute really. Is it ok for NHL to pull out last minute but it's not ok for bombers to say no to December? NHL is at fault really cuz all 3 agreed to February up until 2 weeks ago when NHL said it doesn't work for them. Get this they wanted December out of your head cuz they all agreed on February but then at the last minute NHL said no.

December didn't work for bombers. January didn't work for true north. February worked for all 3 until 2 weeks ago when NHL decided it didn't work. Why blaming the bombers exactly? I don't really get that at all. It's obviously the NHL who pulled out last minute. Why? Probably because they didn't want it to interfere with the American one which in the NHL mind is more important obviously. Simple solution really. Colo in December. Wpg in February. But nope

I was just thinking about all the times people have complained about how cold it could be for Grey Cup and saying the league should start the season earlier so the GC isn't played at the end of November. It's funny how no one is talking about how cold it can be in mid-December. 

Yeah its much warmer in February :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about all the times people have complained about how cold it could be for Grey Cup and saying the league should start the season earlier so the GC isn't played at the end of November. It's funny how no one is talking about how cold it can be in mid-December.

Actually. Historically speaking. It's more similar than people realize. December on avg = -9 high. February = -12 high. Not a huge difference

Actually. Historically speaking. It's more similar than people realize. December on avg = -9 high. February = -12 high. Not a huge difference

Uh yeah, that's my point.  The temperature argument is irrelevant if we are talking about December vs. February.  It's going to be cold for a Heritage Classic in Winnipeg, that's a given.

It will be cold for sure or it could be -2 like right now or plus 4 like it was Friday. Really don't know what to expect but ya regardless of December or February it will be chilly to sit outside for 3 or 4 hours and very expensive. Honestly not being a season tix holder I'd probably just watch on TV. I don't see all the fuss about an outdoor game and I don't even mind the cold. I just am not sure how good the sight lines would be. I dunno. These games to me have been over done. Plus sounds like the local teams get screwed over profit wise. Not sure why jets would want one even