Winnipeg Outdoor Heritage Classic game could be postponed

Rich

Seems someone is missing the part where it said all 3 agreed on the February date until 2 weeks ago when the NHL said no. So really a deal was in place but NHL changed their mind last minute really. Is it ok for NHL to pull out last minute but it's not ok for bombers to say no to December? NHL is at fault really cuz all 3 agreed to February up until 2 weeks ago when NHL said it doesn't work for them. Get this they wanted December out of your head cuz they all agreed on February but then at the last minute NHL said no.

December didn't work for bombers. January didn't work for true north. February worked for all 3 until 2 weeks ago when NHL decided it didn't work. Why blaming the bombers exactly? I don't really get that at all. It's obviously the NHL who pulled out last minute. Why? Probably because they didn't want it to interfere with the American one which in the NHL mind is more important obviously. Simple solution really. Colo in December. Wpg in February. But nope

Me personally, I dont blame either side for either decision.  They didnt have a concrete deal to play in February or they'd be playing in February.  They all agreed on a date in february and when the details came back (namely how much the Bombers wanted to keep IGF open all winter), the NHL balked and asked for a December date, which True North agreed on and the Bombers said.  Nothing in what Bettman said was untrue.  Nothing that Wade said was untrue either.  I simply took exception to him trying to frame Bettman as being disingenuous when all Wade did was confirm that what Bettman said was true - namely that the NHL and Jets agreed on a December date and the Bombers said no.

I was just thinking about all the times people have complained about how cold it could be for Grey Cup and saying the league should start the season earlier so the GC isn't played at the end of November. It's funny how no one is talking about how cold it can be in mid-December. 

Yeah its much warmer in February :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about December-May. I was talking about November-December.

I simply took exception to him trying to frame Bettman as being disingenuous when all Wade did was confirm that what Bettman said was true - namely that the NHL and Jets agreed on a December date and the Bombers said no.

I don't recall seeing it anywhere that the Jets had agreed on the December date.

How is that different than the Jets and Bombers agreed on a Feb. date and the NHL said no?

It isn't. But Bettman didn't get pissy about wade's remarks and then confirm everything he said was true.

This is Bettman's statement: 

“I was disappointed (the Blue Bombers) wouldn't make the stadium available to us. That's really what it comes down to,”  “We wanted to play the game in December and we were told we couldn't have the stadium. That was disappointing."

You don't consider that statement as not "getting pissy about it"?

He could easily have said - The 3 three parties couldn't reach an agreement to use the stadium on a date that worked for all parties involved.

But no, he was being Bettman.

How is that different than the Jets and Bombers agreed on a Feb. date and the NHL said no?

It isn't. But Bettman didn't get pissy about wade's remarks and then confirm everything he said was true.

This is Bettman's statement: 

“I was disappointed (the Blue Bombers) wouldn't make the stadium available to us. That's really what it comes down to,”  “We wanted to play the game in December and we were told we couldn't have the stadium. That was disappointing."

You don't consider that statement as not "getting pissy about it"?

He could easily have said - The 3 three parties couldn't reach an agreement to use the stadium on a date that worked for all parties involved.

But no, he was being Bettman.

Yes, correct, those remarks are *not* Bettman getting pissy at Wade's comments.  Wade's comments were in response to those statements by Bettman.  Unless Bettman has a time machine, he was not being pissy as a result of Wade's remarks, which is what I stated.

Bettman is very very smart.  He roped Wade into looking bush league in my humble opinion.  Wade should have simply said "Gary is correct that the December date didnt work for us but this will be a fantastic even for IGF and Winnipeg and we're anxious to confirm a date for the following season."  But guys at this level on both sides usually have to get out the rulers and start measuring dicks first.

I really have no problem with what Wade said, I don’t think it is bush league at all.  The truth is what Wade said wasn’t a pissing match back at Gary Bettman, I’m sure Gary doesn’t care what Wade said if he was even told of the quote at all.  What Wade did was because of the Winnipeg sports fan backlash at the Bombers.  The Bombers were coming off looking like the bad guys in this, and as CEO he needed to move to change that perception. Let’s look at the two quotes from the Winnipeg Free Press article

Bettman:

"We had hoped to have a fourth outdoor game in 2015-16 season, a Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," he said. "We were unable to agree with the Blue Bombers on a date that would make each comfortable. Hopefully we can schedule something for the following season. There are no firm plans to announce other than it’s something we’d like to do because we very much wanted an outdoor game next season in Winnipeg."

Miller:

"It’s unfortunate the commissioner of the NHL may not have all the facts with regards to the Heritage Classic in Winnipeg," said Bombers President Wade Miller. "All three parties had agreed on the date in February. Within the last two weeks, we were told that didn’t work for the NHL.

"There was a date in January that didn’t work for True North and a date in December that didn’t work for the Bombers. We look forward to hosting the game next year or the year after."

Sure Wade could have left the first part out taking a shot at Bettman, but if what Wade is saying is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn’t since February was what the rumors have been saying for a long time), then there was an agreement, but the NHL changed its mind.    Maybe Bettman himself didn’t rubber stamp it, but someone in the NHL did, and they were going by those dates. 

If the November date was being bandied about a year ago when these talks first started, then Miller could have said no, lets delay a year back then.  News of this wouldn’t have leaked out, and the Winnipeg sports fan wouldn’t have been up in arms at losing something they never had or knew about. 

Wade has a right to be mad at the fact that the date was changed on him two weeks ago, and he is the one who is being blamed by the Winnipeg sports fan anger.  

Your proposed statement wouldn't have addressed that at all.   And that is really what Wade's words are about ... not about pulling out a ruler.

Gary Bettman gets off the phone with the Brick - "I finally nailed down a delivery date for that new furniture.  Wife was getting on my case about that.  The Cindy Crawford collection will look great by the fireplace, and the Sophia Vegara pieces will be really comfy in the basement."

Bettman chatting with his friends - "I finally nailed down a delivery date for that new furniture.  Wife was getting on my case about that.  The Cindy Crawford collection will look great by the fireplace, and the Sophia Vegara pieces will be really comfy in the basement."

TUP - Everything Bettman said was 100% accurate!

Gary Bettman gets off the phone with the Brick - "I finally nailed down a delivery date for that new furniture.  Wife was getting on my case about that.  The Cindy Crawford collection will look great by the fireplace, and the Sophia Vegara pieces will be really comfy in the basement."

Bettman chatting with his friends - "I finally nailed down a delivery date for that new furniture.  Wife was getting on my case about that.  The Cindy Crawford collection will look great by the fireplace, and the Sophia Vegara pieces will be really comfy in the basement."

Your example isnt even close to a fair comparison and the humour is a 5 out of 10 at best.  But good try!

Your example isnt even close to a fair comparison and the humour is a 5 out of 10 at best.  But good try!

I give the humour a solid 7.

I give the humour a solid 7.

at least...was well played.