One or two unannounced signings (update 1/21)

Mike

Getting to that point of the off-season now ... free agent camps and scouting will be starting to pay some dividends in the form of roster additions.

Jarrid Bryant, DB, South Dakota

6'4" (!) DB ... Had a short visit to training camp with St. Louis last year (same time as Deantre Harlan)

Khasif Montgomery, WR/DB, Virginia University of Lynchburg

6'2" / 210 ... not really sure what this guy's situation is but he had a long weird road to finally get to pro football. He's already 28 with zero NFL experience and nothing but a Hamilton tryout a few years ago. Athletic testing is pretty impressive and he's held his own at pro days, but never got a shot. Seems like a reach. Not sure if this guy actually has a contract to come to training camp or if he's a mini camp invite though.

Speaking of unannounced signings, is there any news related to Kurt Goodrich?  I was give the impression by people who seem to understand the eligibility rules that if he wasn't signed by Dec 20th (or sometime like that) that the territorial exemption period ended and he became part of the draft class.

Speaking of unannounced signings, is there any news related to Kurt Goodrich?  I was give the impression by people who seem to understand the eligibility rules that if he wasn't signed by Dec 20th (or sometime like that) that the territorial exemption period ended and he became part of the draft class.

Good question.

Where would you be looking to put Bryant? Corner likely. Nice size at 6'4" 195lbs. Seems athletic by his pro day results. 11 reps and a 4.71 40yard dash. Might be a interesting signing for you guys, he may be a hybrid linebacker type. 

I would guess that IF he survive the mini-camp and main TC he will be ideal in SAM because of his size.

2013 ALL-MAC THIRD TEAM: Inside Linebacker - Shamari Benton, Central Michigan...Benton, a team captain for the 2013 season, combined with Justin Cherocci to provide the Central Michigan defense with one of the nation’s top tackling tandems. In the past 25 games, they have combined for 490 tackles, an average of nearly 20 tackles per game (19.6).

Benton recorded 100-plus tackles for the second consecutive season, totaling 111, which ranked third in the MAC. Benton also led CMU and ranked seventh in the MAC with 10.5 tackles for loss. He reached double digits in tackles in seven games, including tying a career-high with 14 stops twice. Benton also recorded 2.0 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. - Central Michigan football

I liked Bryant when I heard about him earlier, he's not the fastest guy but he's LONG. Huge wingspan.

But wow, Benton ... never seen or heard anything about him but if I'm forming an opinion off one set of highlights, he looks like a keeper.

Bombers add LB and DB

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added International linebacker Shamari Benton, and International defensive back Jarrid Bryant.

Benton (5-11, 231, Central Michigan, May 9, 1991, Detroit, Michigan) played his collegiate football at Central Michigan from 2010-2013. He finished there with career total of 307 tackles, two sacks, and one interception. He was 5th in the MAC in tackles in his final season of 2013. Benton was signed by the Detroit Lions but was released prior to the start of the season.

Bryant (6-4, 195, South Dakota, April 2, 1990 in Corona, California) played four years at Arizona State, the first three as a receiver, before transferring to South Dakota for his final year of NCAA football (2013). At defensive back that season, he had 39 tackles and 2 interceptions as a senior. After going undrafted, he signed with the St. Louis Rams.

Smith eh? was he rostered by the Cowboys? Or was he on their PR? if he was on the PR, i'd suspect it's just a matter of time before he is let go, Thought we let him go because of injury concerns the Cowboys were having, Thought they brought Smith in as an injury replacement, Not sure tho, Don't really care for the Cowboys too much. 

Excellent! Some news tidbits worth excitement :) Benton looks legit.. Bryant could be a monster if he's able to adjust to the bigger field.. Find it odd a guy of that stature can't stick on a PR in the nfl tho..

Montgomery, unfortunately with his natural attributes, will probably not make it.. Shame cuz he too has good size. Wonder if maybe we bring him in as a DB?

12/14/13 - 2013 ALL-MAC THIRD TEAM: Inside Linebacker - Shamari Benton, Central Michigan...Benton, a team captain for the 2013 season, combined with Cherocci to provide the Central Michigan defense with one of the nation’s top tackling tandems. In the past 25 games, they have combined for 490 tackles, an average of nearly 20 tackles per game (19.6).

Benton recorded 100-plus tackles for the second consecutive season, totaling 111, which ranked third in the MAC. Benton also led CMU and ranked seventh in the MAC with 10.5 tackles for loss. He reached double digits in tackles in seven games, including tying a career-high with 14 stops twice. Benton also recorded 2.0 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. - Central Michigan football

His 40 yard dash is 4.64.

PFZ Draft Q&A: Central Michigan linebacker Shamari Benton, January 2, 2014

I had the pleasure of asking Central Michigan linebacker Shamari Benton some questions as he prepares for the 2014 NFL draft.

What did you learning during your time at Central Michigan?

During the transition from high school to collegiate athletics one of the most important lessons I learned was being consistent. As a competitor everyday has to be 100% and the coaching staff at CMU expected nothing less. Whether it was film study, practice or late in the fourth quarter the same amount of effort and attention to detail had to executed.

What was the highlight of your college career?

After fighting our way back from a losing record in 2012 our team was able to make it to the Little Caesar Bowl where we faced a talented Western Kentucky team. We battled hard and eventually won the game. After I was named Defensive MVP at the award ceremony. Then in 2013 during two-a-days I was elected team captain for the season by my teammates which was the highlight of my senior year.

What are your goals going forward?

I recently graduated from Central Michigan University with over a 3.0 GPA and now I am completely dedicated to the sport I love. I plan to train for my pro day on March 3rd and perform at a high level when the times arrives. My goal is to make a NFL team and contribute in anyway that they can utilize my talents.

How can you help an NFL team?

I have a great combination of speed and size that can allow me to play both inside and outside linebacker. Throughout my collegiate career I have had the opportunity to play a lot of games at both positions and have proven with consistent stats that I can produce at a high level.  I also have the intellect to play linebacker and identify offensive formation and strategy. During my three years as a starter I set our defensive fronts and made the necessary audibles. I also have played on every special team throughout my career even as a senior captain because I am team guy that is willing to make sacrifices for success.

How can you improve as a football player?

I plan to improve in my Tampa 2 coverage ability this off season. Although at CMU we had it in our package we rarely ran it. I hope to master the necessary drops in order to make plays in that coverage.

What is your greatest attribute as a person and as a football player?

My greatest attribute as a person has to be that I am a loyal person. That’s a difficult attribute to find in most people and one that I am proud to be able to say that I have.  As a football player the combination of my work ethic and ability really sets me apart.

How do you plan on preparing for the NFL?

I will be training with former NFL players in preparation for the pro day and team workouts in the future. I also plan to have speed development training and weight training as well.

The six foot, 235 pound Benton recorded 111 tackles this season, 2 sacks and one interception this past season.

Sears is 6'1 193 pounds so this guy is 3 inches taller and 2 pounds heavier... Sears makes it work. Light? Maybe but.. it's all about how athletic he is, I hear Bryant is a bit slow tho, not fast... not the quickest player in the world... That would be the more concerning part than how tall or how heavy he is. Needs to be able to keep up with these speedy receivers up here, can he? 

Benton seems like a beast tho. Definitely a MLB candidate there.

Also interesting to note but on the Official Bomber site, Quinn Everett, OL is listed on the roster.