Bellefeuille: Burke decides QB on Saturday

Mike

As per Bob Irving via Twitter, Bellefeuille told the media today that Burke will pick the starting QB on Saturday.

Welcome back, Buck Pierce.

Awesome, now we know we can keep it relatively close with Ham, lose by 124235233424 to the Riders (twice), all while not gaining a shred of valuable information moving forward.

Once Buck goes down, who do they go to?

Really interesting presser. Offensive staff will have a meeting and give their recommendation on QB to  Burke, who will have the final decision by game time, tho Burke said they'll likely know tomorrow as whoever gets 1st team reps will likely start.

Sounds like MB really didn't think much of Crow's offense. Said it was an American -style that just doesn't fit the Canadian game. They tried to re-shape an American offense for Canada, but it just doesn't work that way. CFL is such a unique game, and requires a unique mindset.

Will be really interesting to see what MB can do just by switching the play calling a bit...

The biggest thing Crowton struggled with was his playcalling more than his schemes, in my opinion.

The schemes weren't always the greatest but I thought he brought some interesting looks to our offense. It's just too bad that ultimately, he could never get over the hump where he acknowledged he only had two downs to move the chains.

And Bellefeuille did also say there were some really good things in the offense too, but sounds like a lot of simplification and just letting athletes be athletes rather than having to think on the fly all the time. 

I'll say this too, it is a real sad day when Bellefeuille is seen as the saviour of the offense. yuck. 

And Bellefeuille did also say there were some really good things in the offense too, but sounds like a lot of simplification and just letting athletes be athletes rather than having to think on the fly all the time. 

I'll say this too, it is a real sad day when Bellefeuille is seen as the saviour of the offense. yuck. 

He sure talks a good game, though. Sounds a lot like LaPolice actually.

Assume we go with Buck.  Makes sense.  Changes to the offense, short week to get it done, new OC.  Better to have the veteran in there.  WHomever you like at QB, I think we can agree the veteran is likely to have a better understanding of a revamped offence. 

I think it somewhat eliminates a distraction too.  Sure, the QB position will be a distraction until we have a bonafide starter but putting Buck back in almost seems like a calming move at this point.  The QB controversey and switching from guy to guy is closely related to the upheavel of the Mack era.  That is behind us now.  Best to reset things, go with the veteran, calm the issue down and get back to playing.  If Buck struggles, then Goltz goes in, just as he would have at any point in the season.

Assume we go with Buck.  Makes sense.  Changes to the offense, short week to get it done, new OC.  Better to have the veteran in there.  WHomever you like at QB, I think we can agree the veteran is likely to have a better understanding of a revamped offence. 

I think it somewhat eliminates a distraction too.  Sure, the QB position will be a distraction until we have a bonafide starter but putting Buck back in almost seems like a calming move at this point.  The QB controversey and switching from guy to guy is closely related to the upheavel of the Mack era.  That is behind us now.  Best to reset things, go with the veteran, calm the issue down and get back to playing.  If Buck struggles, then Goltz goes in, just as he would have at any point in the season.

How is it going to eliminate a distraction? For the entire time he's been here, Buck has been the distraction.

It's not so much that he is seen as the saviour, as simply put he was the best, available person with the most knowledge of CFL offences. I wouldn't read much into his current position having much bearing heading into 2014, if Miller is true to his words as it relates to an "exhaustive" search for a GM, who will obviously want his own head coach, and said head coach will want his own OC.

I think the issue is the distraction.

I dont think this season has been fair to any of the three QB's, to be fair.  The O has looked bad no matter who is there.  We just fired the OC.  It's been acknowledged that his system didnt fit the CFL.

We can't point to Buck's injury history as an issue this season because he hasn't missed a game due to injury. 

If he starts this week and plays well, then what?  it's entirely possible.  It's also possible Goltz would play better under Marcel.  But all things being equal (and they arent anyway), I'd go with the only QB we have with CFL experience and the only QB we have that has ever won anything.

I dont think this season has been fair to any of the three QB's, to be fair.  The O has looked bad no matter who is there.  We just fired the OC.  It's been acknowledged that his system didnt fit the CFL.

We can't point to Buck's injury history as an issue this season because he hasn't missed a game due to injury. 

If he starts this week and plays well, then what?  it's entirely possible.  It's also possible Goltz would play better under Marcel.  But all things being equal (and they arent anyway), I'd go with the only QB we have with CFL experience and the only QB we have that has ever won anything.

Yes he has ...

'There are ways to keep a developed quarterback sharp, as in Bucks case'

Said MB about practices, sounds like Buck won't be starting if that's the case.

I didnt watch the presser so I dont know the context.  Could he have meant they have done things to keep Buck sharp?  ie. "how can you consider starting Buck this week when he's had no playing time?"  "Because there are ways to keep him sharp".  ie. He IS sharp and ready to play.

Yes he has ...

Which game did he miss?  I dont recall any game where he was not dressed and ready to play.

Bellefeuille did say this wasn't an ideal situation for himself professionally and that he didn't want to take on the OC role. He did say thought that, when he joined the organization, said he'd do whatever it took to help us be successful .. this turned out to be whatever.

fans might not be smart enough to appreciate the situation he is in but I'm sure in the cfl community there is little he can do to tarnish his reputation with the last half of this season.

Yes he has ...

Which game did he miss?  I dont recall any game where he was not dressed and ready to play.

He was listed as the #3 QB because we had to dress three but he would not have played.