CM Punk Signs with UFC

Punk is actually a huge jerk, he will tell you that he is also. He is a prick, a son of a *****, he beats to his own drum. It's what actually made him great, all the big wrestlers had attitude problems from stone cold steve austin to shawn michaels to bret hart to hulk hogan and the list goes on. Punk is a huge prick, he let's that be known. I won't watch him in UFC but i think people writing him off might be a bit surprised at what he is able to do.

The guy has legit skills. I'm sure you will see them displayed when he gets in there and fights. 

The guy has legit skills. I'm sure you will see them displayed when he gets in there and fights. 

Without rehashing basically the entire thread... you can say this based on what?

Legit skills as a pro wrestler?  Without a doubt.  Legit skills as a mma fighter?  Remains to be seen.

I could be a wrestler but never fight in the UFC. It's way tougher. One kick to the head & it's lights out.

Lol you are comparing them as though you stepped into either tomorrow? Because if you put in the required trading for both then your statement would be different. And without the required training no you could not be a wrestler tomorrow.

I don't have to train to know the difference. Okay, so WHY.... does the WWE call itself that with the word ENTERTAINMENT at the end of its name? Because that's what it is. Entertainment. Not a sport. The outcomes are scripted. The wrestlers in the ring communicate what next move should be done between them. Guys get hurt, yes but they try not to have that happen. Bumps occur but mostly accidental. In MMA guys are trying to knock each other out or submit. No wrestler gets hit like UFC fighters do when they're on the mat being pummeled by punches or elbow shots. Sorry but there's no comparison between what happens in UFC & WWE. 

I could be a wrestler but never fight in the UFC. It's way tougher. One kick to the head & it's lights out.

Lol you are comparing them as though you stepped into either tomorrow? Because if you put in the required trading for both then your statement would be different. And without the required training no you could not be a wrestler tomorrow.

I don't have to train to know the difference. Okay, so WHY.... does the WWE call itself that with the word ENTERTAINMENT at the end of its name? Because that's what it is. Entertainment. Not a sport. The outcomes are scripted. The wrestlers in the ring communicate what next move should be done between them. Guys get hurt, yes but they try not to have that happen. Bumps occur but mostly accidental. In MMA guys are trying to knock each other out or submit. No wrestler gets hit like UFC fighters do when they're on the mat being pummeled by punches or elbow shots. Sorry but there's no comparison between what happens in UFC & WWE. 

You're not honestly going to tell me you can get in the ring and wrestle tomorrow and dont need to train to understand what goes into it are you?  You think you know wrestling.  You're telling me how wrestling works...dude, Im in the wrestling business. 

You're not honestly going to tell me you can get in the ring and wrestle tomorrow and dont need to train to understand what goes into it are you?  You think you know wrestling.  You're telling me how wrestling works...dude, Im in the wrestling business. 

I didn't say I could wrestle or fight in UFC. What has that got to do with anything? I never said anything like that. So, you deny that wrestling isn't scripted? That the wrestlers don't communicate what moves they want each other to do as  a match goes along? I've been watching wrestling my entire life. I may not be an insider like you but I know what goes on. You can actually see the wrestlers talking as they wrestle. It's entertainment, not a sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvsmWnwaN4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGYCF1mhqQ

You could be a wrestler at a local show,  hell during the Ringmasters shows I went to I remember seeing drunk ladies in the crowd jumping in the ring.....   

You could be a mma fighter probably at a reserve show or in the crappier parts of the States... tonnes of times they had guys fighting out of the audience against trained fighters.   I remember also seeing So You Think You Are Tough ghetto shows on the fight network several years back... not impossible to get into either or.  

WWE/WCW fighters off the top of my head who did real MMA.....

Giant Silva... was destroyed and was a huge joke

Bam Bam ....  went into the fight thinking it was a work... it was not and was beaten badly despite having a reputation of being a bad man while in ECW.

Ludvig Borga.... his lone fight was against a debuting Randy Couture.... did not do well.  Apparently had a previous background in boxing... was legit crazy... think he went to jail and then killed himself....

Dan Severen.... see previous post about him fighting against people from the audience...

Ken Shamrock.... probably the 2nd best after Brock for success... did mostly Pancrase I thought before his pro wrestling.

Bart Gunn.... despite being KO'd by butterbean... had a few fights in Japan and didn't totally embarass himself.

Sean O'Haire... had some kind of martial arts background...  was embarassed by Butterbean.

Batista beat a tomato can and realized that he can make much more money doing movies....

Dos Caras Jr.... mostly known for getting destroyed by Crocop... he at least won a few fights though

Bobby Lashley... couldnt' even beat James Thompson...... the guy is way to roided and has horrid cardio... has a lot of fights but nowhere near the skills of Brock.

Akebono... only wwe match was the sumo match with Big Show.... was embarassed frequently in K-1 / Pride....

Nathan Jones.... only fight was I think in Pride 1.... embarassed himself against a sumo and stuck to doing movies....

Tank Abbott... sucked majorly once he quit wrestling and embarassed himself frequently in fights....

Sylvester Terkay.... actually had decent outings... decisioned Remy Bonjasky in K-1 and I think he beat at least B level guys in MMA

Ron Waterman... has some good wins in his career...  didn't do much in wcw though

Craig Pitbull Pittman.... sucked also

Jushin Liger... lost in his only match....

Daniel Puder... tapped Kurt Angle and won 10 fights and for some reason quit MMA?

So for the most part... most pro wrestlers did not do well getting into MMA....   

ISO - in not sure what your point is. I would hope you "get" wrestling by now but that doesn't dininish the risk of injury.

Brandon - believe me what you saw at an RME show wasn't wrestling. Like any entertainment or sport enterprise there exists various levels. A drunk woman hopping in the ring does not equate to anyone being able to wrestle. To be a wrestler requires a lot of training. That's why there is an awful lot of bad wrestlers - because they don't train like they should.

Daniel Puder... tapped Kurt Angle and won 10 fights and for some reason quit MMA?

Angle didn't tap. He probably would have had to, or had his arm broken, if the ref wasn't smart enough to make the 3 count, but he didn't tap.

Yeah and you can't use that Puder incident as any sort of indication of Angle's skills since Angle wasn't trying to fight. Angle and Brock had a take down contest one night and reportedly angle won every round. He would have been a very very good ufc participant had he gone that route.

ISO - in not sure what your point is. I would hope you "get" wrestling by now but that doesn't dininish the risk of injury.

Brandon - believe me what you saw at an RME show wasn't wrestling. Like any entertainment or sport enterprise there exists various levels. A drunk woman hopping in the ring does not equate to anyone being able to wrestle. To be a wrestler requires a lot of training. That's why there is an awful lot of bad wrestlers - because they don't train like they should.

First, I am a wrestling fan. I admire the athleticism of most of the wrestlers in pro wrestling no matter of it's ROH, TNA & WWE. But there's no  way they put up with the punishment that the UFC fighters do when they're in the ring. Having said that, the 2 wrestlers on that ladder that fell thru the table was hellacious. 

Well the level of talent that I saw was really bad and had I went in the ring I would of probably been in the top 3 shape despite not hitting a gym in years. It was really bad.

The same can be said for mma/boxing.. I went to an old Gladiator card and remember seeing an obese guy from a reserve boxing against a guy on the Canadian national team and was absolutely destroyed.

Anyone could get into the ring/cage if they want to.

Well the level of talent that I saw was really bad and had I went in the ring I would of probably been in the top 3 shape despite not hitting a gym in years. It was really bad.

The same can be said for mma/boxing.. I went to an old Gladiator card and remember seeing an obese guy from a reserve boxing against a guy on the Canadian national team and was absolutely destroyed.

Anyone could get into the ring/cage if they want to.

I cant judge for sure without knowing who you watched but there is cosmetic shape and then there is wrestling shape.  Trust me, performing in a match is a whole different level of cardio. 

RME did have a lot of lower end talent.  But you will always see that when you're watching the "grassroots" end of any entertainment or sports enterprise.  You could go watch pretty bad hockey too.  RME did have some decent guys too, to be fair.  And in my own promotion we've had great and awful.  But our job isnt exactly to only feature the 25 very best guys,.  We're trying to develop talent of all levels.  So you have the guy having his first match.  You have the guy going into his 20th year in the business.  And all points in between.  Thats just local wrestling (or local anything really).  If we didnt have enough talent to put on what I judge to be a good show, I wouldnt do it anymore (and in 13 years, we've had our fair share of bad shows...it happens).

I do agree that wrestling takes a lot of training... It was obvious watching guys botch spots one after another and it made for some ugly viewing.

And to be fair, it also makes a difference what type of show it was.  Many promotions have their main venue and then a secondary location where the trainees/rookies get ring time because you need the ring time to get better.  Hopefully guys are trained enough that its not horrific, but it is possible to see a show and have it be a "training" show.  I dont really like that from a business perspective but it happens.  Years ago we used Rookies Sports Bar for that.  it was where I first started booking (and my partner booked the main shows).  But we had a handful of rookies who didnt appear on the main shows and sprinkled in a few veterans.  A really good veteran can make a green as grass trainee look passable and still teach him how to work in front of a crowd.  That should be the goal on "training shows"

UFC fighters only fight once a month or so, maybe what 10 15 times a year? Wrestlers do that in 2 weeks. Wrestlers take way more punishment than UFC people do because wrestlers are out there getting thrown around every night of the week pretty much, what is their schedule? 5 on 2 off or something like that. maybe 4 on 3 off regardless tho it's more than once per month like UFC guys.

Few nights ago, WWE was in town at MTS centre, another crew was in sioux city, the night later they were in Minneapolis for RAW, tonight they are elsewhere for Smackdown taping. Wrestlers go night to night, drive from one town to the next, to the next to the next... they ain't flying in to vegas once a month.

Might not be the popular answer but wrestlers take way more punishment because they pretty much go out there and do it every night of the week. 

I do agree that wrestling takes a lot of training... It was obvious watching guys botch spots one after another and it made for some ugly viewing.

And to be fair, it also makes a difference what type of show it was.  Many promotions have their main venue and then a secondary location where the trainees/rookies get ring time because you need the ring time to get better.  Hopefully guys are trained enough that its not horrific, but it is possible to see a show and have it be a "training" show.  I dont really like that from a business perspective but it happens.  Years ago we used Rookies Sports Bar for that.  it was where I first started booking (and my partner booked the main shows).  But we had a handful of rookies who didnt appear on the main shows and sprinkled in a few veterans.  A really good veteran can make a green as grass trainee look passable and still teach him how to work in front of a crowd.  That should be the goal on "training shows"

It was a country show featuring The Honky Tonk Man.... I watched a decent amount of local wrestling... I know not everyone will be ripped or jacked...  but when you have a 120 lbs guy trying to be like the Ultimate Warrior or when you have guys who are so bloated and out of shape that they are huffing and puffing doing one spot.... for the sake of wrestling get out of the ring.

I had to help tear down the ring and carry the equipment because some of the skinny kids couldn't lift it!!  

Now I havn't gone to a PCW show,  but the other show (name is escaping me) where they brought in Billy Gunn a lot and used lots of former stars... the non stars at least had a physique and could actually wrestle a fair amount.   Mentallo in my books was more entertaining then guys like Teddy Hart or Gangrel.   If you are fat and out of shape... at least have a gimmick that entertains the audience.     Generic skinny little guy who falls through the ropes trying to do a lion sault,   can't peform a proper suplex,  and who struggle to even perform a basic fireman carry should not be in the ring at all.....

While the WWE Network wasn't free in Canada in November like it was in the rest of the world, Rogers Cable will put the live free stream of the WWE Network up on Sportsnet 360 on 12/25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern and again from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.  In addition, they will put the WWE Network up free on 12/26 from 6 a.m. to Noon and on 1/1 from 6 p.m. to midnight.

***The WWE Network is an Over The Top streaming service is the U.S. and everywhere else in the world it's offered, including a "live" channel feed and tons of archival content. In Canada, the rights were licensed to Rogers.  Rogers made it a regular channel which includes the "Live" stream (which includes the PPV events as they air) and a minimal amount of VOD archival content.  Canada really gets screwed in this deal other then the guarantee of no bandwidth issues when viewing the live stream.  Rogers is supposed to be making deals with other Canadian carriers but so far, none in Manitoba (and I believe only one non-Rogers carrier has it out East).

So on Christmas, we in Manitoba can see the live stream for free on 360.

Here is what looks to be the schedule that day:

10am Tribute to the Troops

12PM WWE 2K15 Roster Reveal hosted by Steve Austin (I believe this was the first appearance of Sting on WWE programming)

1PM Total Divas

2PM Total Divas

3PM Total Divas

4PM NXT (Not sure if this airs or if this is the cut off)

Not a very impressive line up for a "free preview".  Ugh.  if Rogers was smart, they'd forgo the live stream and air last week's TLC PPV, the NXT Special, the Monday Night War show, a good documentary (Like Savage or Heyman) and maybe a classic PPV.   Show case the Network.  If I didnt know better and saw this on Christmas, I wouldnt order the channel.