CM Punk Signs with UFC

O I think he will never amount to much... But the bottom of ufc barrel is still beatable for a new guy.

I say they match him with Dos Caras

Dos Caras is 63 years old!

I meant the Jr... the one who was knocked out silly by Mirko Crocop

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alberto-Rodriguez-2269

Strangely enough, Bellator is in talks with Dos Caras Jr AKA Alberto Del Rio.

The WWE network in Canada biggest blunder of all time. I would be constantly on it if it were available.

It's a blunder for fans but apparently the deal with Rogers is astronomical. It's also worked as a template for discussions in other nations. For example the Network was supposed to launch in the UK months ago but has been delayed a couole of times, one reason being discussions with a terrestrial broadcastor.

O I think he will never amount to much... But the bottom of ufc barrel is still beatable for a new guy.

I say they match him with Dos Caras

Dos Caras is 63 years old!

I meant the Jr... the one who was knocked out silly by Mirko Crocop

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alberto-Rodriguez-2269

Strangely enough, Bellator is in talks with Dos Caras Jr AKA Alberto Del Rio.

Would be a strong get for Bellator. A legitimate Latino star who is good looking, charismatic, knows how to talk and sell a fight and has a legitimate background that would lend him an aura of credibility.

Cole Miller doesn't just think CM Punk will be adequate as a UFC fighter, he thinks the former WWE star will be a winner.

"This guy doesn't just have a chance," Miller told MMA Fighting. "He's gonna kick somebody's ass."

Miller, a UFC veteran of seven years and 16 fights, has trained with CM Punk on multiple occasions and vouches for the divisive signee's skills on the ground. Miller is coming from a base of knowledge, too -- he's a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and one of the best grapplers in the lightweight division.

"I think he'll do very well," Miller said. "I don't think he's trying to make a 10-year career out of this. But he's going to shake things up, whoop some ass and prove a lot of people wrong. I expect him to do very well against whoever they put up against him."

Punk has said that he has not advanced past a white belt training with Rener Gracie. That is more out of desire than anything else -- CM Punk said he isn't interested in moving through the belt system because he's always learning. Miller estimates that Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, is far past a blue belt -- and a better grappler than many fighters in the UFC.

"I think most MMA fighters don't have any kind of ground," Miller said. "Most of them aren't good at all. Even in the UFC. There are plenty of exceptions, but when I say most, I mean more than 50 percent are nothing more than OK blue belts on the ground. I would rate CM Punk definitely above that."

The UFC's signing of Punk, the popular former WWE champion, has come under scorn from some. The biggest argument is that he is not deserving of competing in the UFC, MMA's biggest stage. CM Punk admitted himself on FOX Sports Live on Wednesday that the point is probably accurate. But, of course, from a marketing perspective, there's little doubt his fights won't bring a ton of attention.

The other criticism has been that Punk is a privileged celebrity allowed to skip the line without paying his dues. Miller doesn't have any sympathy for those who make that claim.

"So what?" Miller said. "Get over it. The UFC is a business and I guarantee it's definitely into protecting its brand and business. If you think they would sign somebody that's gonna go in there and suck and is not skilled, you're crazy. When did you see somebody in the UFC that completely sucked? Never."

Miller also thinks some of the negativity has come from the stigma against scripted pro wrestling. Miller said Punk likely went through a tougher road to get to the top of WWE than most MMA fighters had to get to the UFC. CM Punk has been known as an overachiever and someone wrestling insiders never expected to become a bonafide WWE draw.

"It's a hating society," Miller said. "People come out of their shell and s*** on whoever the first chance they get. People want to write that pro wrestling is fake. Pro wrestling is not fake. It's pre-determined. The guys at the highest level have to have an indomitable spirit.

"This guy has the perseverance it takes. He's been through the fire. Most people are gonna break training for their first MMA fight and realize they don't have to. This guy has been through the gauntlet, so to speak."

Another reason Miller thinks CM Punk will be successful is his pride and determination. He has chosen to leave pro wrestling, where he is a megastar, to wade into a new and dangerous sport, solely because it is his dream.

"You think someone like him is going to just make a mockery of themselves in another area?" Miller said. "This guy was the best wrestler in the world. He's not gonna go into the UFC to lose, I promise you."

• 3 weeks later...

TUP, do you promote CWE Wrestling? It's going to be in my old hometown soon and I was just wondering if it was your show. Might have to go to seee Big Poppa Pump.

No that is our main competitor. Although there are a couple of wrestlers working for both right now. Let me know what you think of the show.

When is the next PCW show, my co worker used to go a lot of them and wants to go again some time soon preferably if its still a bar venue.

I'm just in Jamaica so I'm not sure when the next show is as one of the other guys was confirming with he venue. But we are scheduled for feb 28th for sure (just might be one before that). Feb 28 is our 13th anniversary show and

Kenny Omega will be here.

It is at Doubles Bar

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic but still wrestling related. 

Does anyone go anywhere to watch WWE PPV's?  I generally dont watch a lot of WWE programming but Im a sucker for the Royal Rumble (and ofcourse Wrestlemania).  Pony Corral seems to be the only place in town that consistently shows them and everytime I go there I come away swearing I will never go back.

Went there last night with a buddy for the usual **** show.  Got there early (because I am nortoriously late for everything) to get a good seat in the lounge only to be told they had to show the NHL All Star Game there (keeping in mind the lounge was empty).  I pointed out the game was ending shortly.  Then I was told they had to show "the football game" in the lounge.  When I asked what football game, they didnt know.  I then realised it was the Pro Bowl.  THE PRO BOWL?! 

Long story short, Pony Corral really hates wrestling fans.  If the food didnt taste like sneakers with ketchup, I could put up with it.  But bad food, lousy service, nasty attitudes and being treated like third rate customers aggravates me.  I might try to convince Vodka Rocks to show the big ones and promote it for them...I dont know.

Just curious what other people do.  The B-level PPV's arent going to draw.  But the big four could.

On a side note, WWE once again decided to go against the grain by anointing someone as the new top guy instead of letting a guy get over organically.  Roman Reigns won the Royal Rumble and was boo'ed out of the building, even with The Rock there to "endorse" him.

RAW looks to be cancelled tonight with the massive blizzard hitting the North East.  Probably for the best.

Does anyone go anywhere to watch WWE PPV's?  I generally dont watch a lot of WWE programming but Im a sucker for the Royal Rumble (and ofcourse Wrestlemania).  Pony Corral seems to be the only place in town that consistently shows them and everytime I go there I come away swearing I will never go back.

Went there last night with a buddy for the usual **** show.  Got there early (because I am nortoriously late for everything) to get a good seat in the lounge only to be told they had to show the NHL All Star Game there (keeping in mind the lounge was empty).  I pointed out the game was ending shortly.  Then I was told they had to show "the football game" in the lounge.  When I asked what football game, they didnt know.  I then realised it was the Pro Bowl.  THE PRO BOWL?! 

Long story short, Pony Corral really hates wrestling fans.  If the food didnt taste like sneakers with ketchup, I could put up with it.  But bad food, lousy service, nasty attitudes and being treated like third rate customers aggravates me.  I might try to convince Vodka Rocks to show the big ones and promote it for them...I dont know.

Just curious what other people do.  The B-level PPV's arent going to draw.  But the big four could.

On a side note, WWE once again decided to go against the grain by anointing someone as the new top guy instead of letting a guy get over organically.  Roman Reigns won the Royal Rumble and was boo'ed out of the building, even with The Rock there to "endorse" him.

RAW looks to be cancelled tonight with the massive blizzard hitting the North East.  Probably for the best.

Cineplex.

Cineplex.

Do they still show them?  Hmmm...I went to one show at a theatre back in 2002 and I enjoyed it because the crowd acted like they were there live.  Side note:  We had booked Curt Hennig for an upcoming show and he had a guest spot in that show I watched (Rumble 2002).  He got a great push and we were pretty excited...then the more he did, the longer he lasted the more guys bumped for him, we realised the sad truth...he had signed a WWE contract.  Good for him though.

Usually we get a group together at a house for WrestleMania.  Theatre is a great back up plan.

Do you watch them MIke?

I watched the Rumble.  I thought it was pretty underwhelming but I wouldn't have been booing Reigns.  Seemed like a lot of sour grapes over people expecting Daniel Bryan to walk away with it.

Cena vs Lesnar vs Rollins was great though.  Rollins really made it a good match.

Do you watch them MIke?

I've been to the theatre for a Rumble and a WrestleMania a few years ago.

Don't really watch wrestling very often. Can't stand it much anymore. Watched the Rumble yesterday at a friend's house.

Cineplex doesn't really make all that much financial sense unless you're in a group of three or less. Tickets are $15 now.

But it's an option.

I watched the Rumble.  I thought it was pretty underwhelming but I wouldn't have been booing Reigns.  Seemed like a lot of sour grapes over people expecting Daniel Bryan to walk away with it.

Cena vs Lesnar vs Rollins was great though.  Rollins really made it a good match.

I'd describe myself as a casual observer. I spend a decent amount of time each week reading dirtsheets and results, just in case ... but I don't watch much anymore. Here's what I felt was wrong with the Rumble.

- Awful storytelling. When the Wyatt Family reunited in the ring, it was kind of a cool moment. Until they had Bray and Harper turn on Rowan after like what ... 10 seconds? What was the point? Build that a bit more, use Rowan to do your bidding a bit (since you so easily manipulated him) and THEN turn on him. Pointless.

- They sandbagged Ziggler, Cesaro, Ryback and Ambrose. Just awful booking. Made them look incredibly weak.

- Incredibly predictable final 3 (or 4, whatever) and in 2015 if Kane / Big Show are in the final four of a Rumble ... you're doing it wrong. How are we supposed to believe either of them had even a minute chance?

- Daniel Bryan. It's like they purposely made him look weak just to piss off the crowd. Eliminate him early, go ahead. I even get the idea of not having him in there very long if he's still not 100% health wise. But at least make his elimination more memorable.

I'd describe myself as a casual observer. I spend a decent amount of time each week reading dirtsheets and results, just in case ... but I don't watch much anymore. Here's what I felt was wrong with the Rumble.

- Awful storytelling. When the Wyatt Family reunited in the ring, it was kind of a cool moment. Until they had Bray and Harper turn on Rowan after like what ... 10 seconds? What was the point? Build that a bit more, use Rowan to do your bidding a bit (since you so easily manipulated him) and THEN turn on him. Pointless.

- They sandbagged Ziggler, Cesaro, Ryback and Ambrose. Just awful booking. Made them look incredibly weak.

- Incredibly predictable final 3 (or 4, whatever) and in 2015 if Kane / Big Show are in the final four of a Rumble ... you're doing it wrong. How are we supposed to believe either of them had even a minute chance?

- Daniel Bryan. It's like they purposely made him look weak just to piss off the crowd. Eliminate him early, go ahead. I even get the idea of not having him in there very long if he's still not 100% health wise. But at least make his elimination more memorable.

Agreed on all counts.

In the case of Bryan they DID make him look weak on purpose.  Every so often someone comes along that the fans love and it drives Vince nuts.  Whenever Vince says "we listen to the fans and give them what they want" he really means "We dont care what the fans want because they should want what we give them".  The only reason we had the great Daniel Bryan story last year is because the fan reaction was simply too massive to ignore and they didnt want WrestleMania to be 4 hours of fans going insane for Bryan and boo'ing everyone else.

bryan was going to lose the title to Brock at SummerSlam if he hadnt got hurt and they would have considered the Bryan experiment over.  He's had 4 TV matches (I think) since he returned and lost the first 3.

It was the right call to eliminate him early under the circumstances but the wrong call over-all.  The fans are rejecting Roman because he's being rammed down their throats.  And since he's a Vince project, Vince is writing his promos and they are awful.  Think about this:  They know Roman isnt over but instead of going with guys who are over, like Bryan or Ambrose or even Bray (who I dont love), they paid The Rock what was likely a fortune to come out and endorse his "cousin" to try and get him over. 

Basically WWE has two problems but they are directly related.  Vince is so much out of touch its almost amusing.  And their team of writers suck.

The three-way was fantastic.  Brock might be the best thing in the business right now and possible in the last five years.  The fact he won *might* signal that he's signed with WWE again (heavily rumoured to go back to UFC for a few massive pay days).  I cant imagine a scenario where Brock works Roman in the main event of WM and Roman isn't boo'ed out of the building.

Yep, can't disagree with any of that.

Except the Wyatt stuff.  I don't think it was intended to be a reunion.  I thought Rowan was coming down to fight them both.

Except the Wyatt stuff.  I don't think it was intended to be a reunion.  I thought Rowan was coming down to fight them both.

Its an example of their poor story-telling.  They thought the crowd would be hot for the three-way face off.  Which they were.  Then it broke down into an excuse to get heat on Bray.  Firstly Rowen is going to have a very short career if they expect him to be a babyface.  Harper could be gold but they surely dont see him as such.  They have a hard-on for Bray but he hasnt meant anything in ages.  He's little more than a cool song and entrance now.  Part of that is WWE's usual "push a guy hard, then pull him back to humble him before pushing him again" mentality and part of it is Bray's promos went to crap really really quick.

I thought so too. Then it looked like for a moment, they were going to reunite. Then it looked like Harper and Rowan were going to go after Bray. Then they attacked Rowan instead. It just made no sense. Total cluster****