CM Punk Signs with UFC

Not a shocker that Punk is interested in MMA or that he'd want to work with UFC but plenty of shock that UFC would sign him to fight.

Punk has zero athletic credentials outside of being a professional wrestler and casual training. Has never fought at any level. Is 36 years old.

The backlash seems to be that UFC looks bad for signing a "celebrity" to fight.

Not a shocker that Punk is interested in MMA or that he'd want to work with UFC but plenty of shock that UFC would sign him to fight.

Punk has zero athletic credentials outside of being a professional wrestler and casual training. Has never fought at any level. Is 36 years old.

Well that's just simply not true.

Please list his legitimate sports work. He has trained but not for a fight. My brother is a brown belt but he's not fighting MMA.

Saying in wrong with no proof is weak. But I'll answer my own question.

Punk "but has a background in kempo and also trained in Brazilian jiu-jitsu"

Zero fights. Zero competitions. I'll defend wrestling as athletic ofcourse but it's very different. Aside from wrestling he has no athletic credentials. We don't know the extent of his training. We don't know his skill level. That's what I mean by credentials.

If I've missed where he fought or played a sport please let me know.

Please list his legitimate sports work. He has trained but not for a fight. My brother is a brown belt but he's not fighting MMA.

I'm not disputing the fact that his training has been limited. I'm disputing this idea you put forward of him having "zero athletic credentials".

Punk doesn't train or roll with guys in the Gracie camp often enough to worry about working his way up the ladder through the belting process, but read anything Rener Gracie has said about him. Punk has been rolling for years now, he's got a solid BJJ base to work from. If Punk had wanted to test for belts, he'd be further up the chain than he is now.

His biggest issue is the fact that he's probably going to get taken down at will by anyone with even an average wrestling background.

Which makes my statement 100% true. You're awfully argumentative Mike. I said outside of wrestling and casual training. why not just reply and say you believe his training makes his signing less of a surprise (or whatever your point was)?

He simply has no fight credentials.

No fight credentials is a lot different than no athletic credentials. No fight credentials is absolutely accurate. No athletic credentials (even with the caveat of "outside of pro wrestling") is not really a fair statement.

This reeks of James Toney (except that, even though the result was predictable, Toney at least had a background in fighting and had at least a puncher's chance).

Other than publicity, why sign him?  At 36 years old, it's not like he's a young guy with a long future a head of him.  He isn't even far enough a long to have picked a camp to fight out of yet.  If they wanted to sign a "real" wrestler, they should have squashed their beef with Ben Askren & signed him.

Sure it is. I said outside of wrestling and training. What are his athletic credentials outside of the two exceptions I stated in my original post?

He pitched for the Cubs ...

chi-cubs520120508183058.jpg?w=770

... and the Mets.

cm-punk-mlb-miami-marlins-new-york-mets1

His brief baseball career was interrupted when he was suddenly drafted by the Buffalo Sabres ...

CM-Punk-cm-punk-30010296-392-700.jpg

... who were thrilled with his signing until he pulled an Eric Lindros and refused to report to them. The holdout went on a very long time until he was eventually traded to his hometown Chicago Blackhawks.

CM-Punk-hockey-shot_20130613054942997_0_

..... not to mention his collegiate football career at the University of Miami.

CM-Punk-Wearing-The-Rock%E2%80%99s-Colle

Punk is going to get absolutely demolished in UFC. They're going to have to sign a few inadequate fighters just to feed to Punk.

I think he's going to lose, but I also think he's going to surprise some people.

That being said ... can you imagine the reaction if he wins?

I would suspect he wins simply because UFC is insane if they dont serve up an easy opponent for him.  Punk said it was a multi fight deal.  It actually works to the advantage of UFC to have him fight an easy opponent since Punk is going to be a huge heel.  If people hated Brock, they will absolutely loath Punk as soon as he opens his mouth.  He's inherently unlikeable at the best of times (his best friend describes him as an *******) and is instantly the best at drawing money with his mouth in UFC.  Even better, UFC should have his first fight be in Chicago where he will get crazy amount of press and have a significant amount of fans in the audience which will piss off the UFC traditionalists even more.

I dont think he will have any staying power at a championship level.  But he is smart enough to draw a couple of big paydays.  And despite his vow to never wrestle again and despite his burial of WWE and especially Vince and Hunter, a win in UFC sets Punk up for a massive payday in WWE should he ever change his mind.  And his wife is hot too.

I would suspect he wins simply because UFC is insane if they dont serve up an easy opponent for him.  Punk said it was a multi fight deal.  It actually works to the advantage of UFC to have him fight an easy opponent since Punk is going to be a huge heel.  If people hated Brock, they will absolutely loath Punk as soon as he opens his mouth.  He's inherently unlikeable at the best of times (his best friend describes him as an *******) and is instantly the best at drawing money with his mouth in UFC.  Even better, UFC should have his first fight be in Chicago where he will get crazy amount of press and have a significant amount of fans in the audience which will piss off the UFC traditionalists even more.

I dont think he will have any staying power at a championship level.  But he is smart enough to draw a couple of big paydays.  And despite his vow to never wrestle again and despite his burial of WWE and especially Vince and Hunter, a win in UFC sets Punk up for a massive payday in WWE should he ever change his mind.  And his wife is hot too.

If I was the UFC, I'd serve up a tomato can with a big name following.

The first guy that came to mind was a guy who mouthed off about his signing. Phil Baroni.

Love this have been missing him the past 10 months. The underrated fact about Punk is he is very prideful guy and he is taking this extremely serious. The last thing he wants to be is embarrassed or fed tomato cans. He was one of the hardest workers in WWE for a long time. Good on him for giving one his dreams a shot. BTW been thinking that this not a ringing endorsement for Impact Wrestling.

If I was the UFC, I'd serve up a tomato can with a big name following.

The first guy that came to mind was a guy who mouthed off about his signing. Phil Baroni.

Every middleweight UFC fighter should be running his mouth right now because whomever gets the fight will be a superstar at least for that period of time around the fight.  And if they can tap out or knock out Punk, they will have a lot of bragging rights.  UFC should choose someone who will lose but who also has good promo skills and understands what the point is and what his job is (not saying to throw the fight, but to play a role to build the fight).  Punk will more than hold his end up.

I recall awhile back that there was talk of UFC hiring Paul Heyman to work with guys on promos but that they ultimately decided they couldnt risk bringing in a wrestling guy to do what could be perceived as gimmicking up UFC.  Probably one of the reasons you never saw Paul with Brock in UFC but everything Brock did, Paul had a hand in. 

Love this have been missing him the past 10 months. The underrated fact about Punk is he is very prideful guy and he is taking this extremely serious. The last thing he wants to be is embarrassed or fed tomato cans. He was one of the hardest workers in WWE for a long time. Good on him for giving one his dreams a shot. BTW been thinking that this not a ringing endorsement for Impact Wrestling.

Do you mean Impact Testing?  Two weeks ago Punk claims to have had 13 concussions, the most recently in January off, I believe, a clothesline.  A stiff clothesline sucks but its not a guy throwing fists at your head at full force *trying* to hurt.  One has to wonder about Punk getting cleared to fight.

Punk has a lot of price, too much sometimes.  But Brock was the same way.  The difference is, Brock never really carried himself as a prick.  Punk does.  Punk is arrogant.  Even in his recent podcast where he lambasted WWE, he's burying their booking (and rightfully so) but the booking he suggested was awful, but to him it was great.  I think this is bucket list stuff, much like Brock and the NFL and even if Punk wins, I wonder how long he'd really do it.  I mean sure, if he's winning.  But that first tough loss, I question whether he'd want to bounce back or if he'd check it off the bucket list and move on.

Do you mean Impact Testing?  Two weeks ago Punk claims to have had 13 concussions, the most recently in January off, I believe, a clothesline.  A stiff clothesline sucks but its not a guy throwing fists at your head at full force *trying* to hurt.  One has to wonder about Punk getting cleared to fight.

Punk has a lot of price, too much sometimes.  But Brock was the same way.  The difference is, Brock never really carried himself as a prick.  Punk does.  Punk is arrogant.  Even in his recent podcast where he lambasted WWE, he's burying their booking (and rightfully so) but the booking he suggested was awful, but to him it was great.  I think this is bucket list stuff, much like Brock and the NFL and even if Punk wins, I wonder how long he'd really do it.  I mean sure, if he's winning.  But that first tough loss, I question whether he'd want to bounce back or if he'd check it off the bucket list and move on.

Pretty sure he meant Impact Wrestling as in it's not promising for them that he'd rather try something new altogether than switch companies within his field.

Kimbo won in the ufc enough said. Of course CM punk doesn't have a huge pedigree of combat fighting. But he will bring eyes and I'm sure he can at least compete with some other tomato cans.

The UFC is so diluted and had some awful talent fighting in the prelims so why not cm punk?

Did anyone see how god awful Tito and Bonnar looked last month...

Pretty sure he meant Impact Wrestling as in it's not promising for them that he'd rather try something new altogether than switch companies within his field.

Ohhh well, my point is valid.  I didnt even equate Impact with TNA, they are so irrelevant now.  Not a chance in hell he goes to TNA.  I mean, I should 99% because Dixie Carter is stupid enough to offer Punk many millions of dollars, creative control, freedom to do outside ventures and probably an ownership stake in the company (for whatever that is worth).  But Punk considers his career a failure because he didnt main event WrestleMania.  I dont see him ever wrestling again regularly unless its for that spot.

Kimbo won in the ufc enough said. Of course CM punk doesn't have a huge pedigree of combat fighting. But he will bring eyes and I'm sure he can at least compete with some other tomato cans.

The UFC is so diluted and had some awful talent fighting in the prelims so why not cm punk?

Did anyone see how god awful Tito and Bonnar looked last month...

I dont want to have a sense of outrage over it.  I see it as a very smart business move for UFC.  If he was Justin Beiber or something maybe I could be outraged but UFC is delivering someone to their fans they havent had since Brock: someone to absolutely hate and be willing to pay to see get beat.  He will draw wrestling fans in too and the traditionalists who want to see a fake fighter get beat up.  For that reason alone, I hope he wins.  My hardcore UFC friends were nuts over Brock winning the World Championship.  Pure hatred.  Being at the bar and at a table of wrestling people being the only ones in the building cheering for Brock and wondering if we'd make it out alive.