CM Punk Signs with UFC

Punk is a former pro wrestler. That's his schtick too. To be an ass.

I wouldnt say that at all.  Part of being a professional wrestler is marketing.  Many of them are very good public speakers and understand the important of a good interview.  CM Punk knows how to market himself but I thought the only thing worse than his behaviour was Landsberg's.  It might annoy Punk to do interviews, but then he should decline to do them.  He was certainly not in the mood to banter or give answers beyond one or two word replies.  He was clearly annoyed with discussing wrestling, though if he knew Landsberg at all, he'd know hes a big mark so it was to be expected. 

On the other hand Landsberg was delivering his questions to get a pre-desired response and Punk was having none of it.  It was clear he was hoping for dirt on WWE.  The gag video they played was absolutely insulting to Punk and you could tell he was ready to leave right there.  And Landsberg had the "you used to be a wrestler so you cant take yourself too seriously" line in his pocket ready to use because he knew they were pushing Punk's buttons with the stupid video.

But ultimately, Landsberg looked like an unprofessional jackass

I wouldnt say that at all.  Part of being a professional wrestler is marketing.  Many of them are very good public speakers and understand the important of a good interview.  CM Punk knows how to market himself but I thought the only thing worse than his behaviour was Landsberg's.  It might annoy Punk to do interviews, but then he should decline to do them.  He was certainly not in the mood to banter or give answers beyond one or two word replies.  He was clearly annoyed with discussing wrestling, though if he knew Landsberg at all, he'd know hes a big mark so it was to be expected. 

On the other hand Landsberg was delivering his questions to get a pre-desired response and Punk was having none of it.  It was clear he was hoping for dirt on WWE.  The gag video they played was absolutely insulting to Punk and you could tell he was ready to leave right there.  And Landsberg had the "you used to be a wrestler so you cant take yourself too seriously" line in his pocket ready to use because he knew they were pushing Punk's buttons with the stupid video.

I have to disagree.

Punk wanted to talk about being a UFC fighter. The problem with that is hes not a UFC fighter.

What kind of idiot goes on a talk show expecting to talk about something hes not?

IMO Landsberg was right on when asking him about being punched in the face.... Does punk think taking a punch in the face in the WWE is the same as when a guy like Nate Diaz wants to punch you in the face in the UFC? It sounds like it.

This dudes going to get his face kicked in im thinking.

Oh and when hes talking about the refs,  LOL  thats to funny.... yano why the ref dont stop anything in the WWE?  BECAUSE ITS FAKE!

I have to disagree.

Punk wanted to talk about being a UFC fighter. The problem with that is hes not a UFC fighter.

What kind of idiot goes on a talk show expecting to talk about something hes not?

IMO Landsberg was right on when asking him about being punched in the face.... Does punk think taking a punch in the face in the WWE is the same as when a guy like Nate Diaz wants to punch you in the face in the UFC? It sounds like it.

Oh and when hes talking about the refs,  LOL  thats to funny.... yano why the ref dont stop anything in the WWE?  BECAUSE ITS FAKE!

That wasn't Punk's point at all.  Guys get punched in the face in WWE all the time.  I think Punk took it as a pain question and he was right (as was Lansberg) in saying WWE is far more dangerous and is much tougher on your body over time then MMA fighting.  I thought Landsberg came across disrespectful in the question and he knows better as a mark but thats sort of his problem.  He loves having workers on and loves to buddy up to them but he doesnt seem to actually like or respect wrestling.

Definitely Punk could have been far more cooperative but the second the interview began with that video, I knew it wasnt going to go well.  he also sandbagged him a bit with the "your buddy Chael" talk.  Punk was unprofessional in not giving proper answers but he felt disrespected as soon as the interview began.  Im not defending him.  But Michael was far more of a jackass in how he basically threw a tantrum at the end.

Like TUP said, wrestlers get punched in the face a lot. It won't be new for him. Also, How'd you decide on Nate Diaz for your example?

edit: I just watched the clip and saw the Diaz mention. I wondered at first why you mentioned Diaz b/c he's certainly doesn't have the heaviest hands in mma.

Lansberg should have framed it like this: "Wrestling is a very physical sport and guys get hurt all the time.  You're no stranger then getting hit but generally your opponent isnt maliciously trying to hurt you.  In UFC the opposite will be true.  How do you think you will fare?"  Even then, its sort of a stupid question because Punk isnt going to reply "Well, I never thought about that.  Yikes, thats gonna suck.  if I get hit Im toast."  And while in UFC guys will be throwing at his head with intent to hurt him, he will also be actively trying to avoid that.  In WWE, he's leaving his head in a prone position trusting his opponent not to hurt him so when a strike gets thrown, he's not protected.

I have to disagree.

That wasn't Punk's point at all.  Guys get punched in the face in WWE all the time.  I think Punk took it as a pain question and he was right (as was Lansberg) in saying WWE is far more dangerous and is much tougher on your body over time then MMA fighting.  I thought Landsberg came across disrespectful in the question and he knows better as a mark but thats sort of his problem.  He loves having workers on and loves to buddy up to them but he doesnt seem to actually like or respect wrestling.

Definitely Punk could have been far more cooperative but the second the interview began with that video, I knew it wasnt going to go well.  he also sandbagged him a bit with the "your buddy Chael" talk.  Punk was unprofessional in not giving proper answers but he felt disrespected as soon as the interview began.  Im not defending him.  But Michael was far more of a jackass in how he basically threw a tantrum at the end.

I guess i can agree to a point Landsberg played him but.... Getting punched in the face in the WWE is not even close to the same as the UFC pain wise or anything eles. Not even close.

He dont like or respect wrestling because its FAKE.... Punk wanted to talk about UFC fighting... well thats like Landsberg asking a guy that plays a cop on a tv show what its like to be a real cop. It makes no sense to talk to him about it.

I agree that the WWE is tougher on your body over time to a point.... mainly because they do it more.... UFC fighters dont fight every week.

Ill ask you this.....  Do you think that if a UFC fighter had to fight every week do you think it would be harder on his body then a WWE wrestler? .....  I would think so

Lansberg should have framed it like this: "Wrestling is a very physical sport and guys get hurt all the time.  You're no stranger then getting hit but generally your opponent isnt maliciously trying to hurt you.  In UFC the opposite will be true.  How do you think you will fare?"  Even then, its sort of a stupid question because Punk isnt going to reply "Well, I never thought about that.  Yikes, thats gonna suck.  if I get hit Im toast."  And while in UFC guys will be throwing at his head with intent to hurt him, he will also be actively trying to avoid that.  In WWE, he's leaving his head in a prone position trusting his opponent not to hurt him so when a strike gets thrown, he's not protected.

I agree.

Like TUP said, wrestlers get punched in the face a lot. It won't be new for him. Also, How'd you decide on Nate Diaz for your example?

LOL I was thinking the same thing.  The Stockton Slap or a straight left from Johny Hendricks are completely different animals.  Neither Diaz brother would have come to mind if I was thinking about who I would not want to be hit by.

edit: I just watched the clip and saw the Diaz mention. I wondered at first why you mentioned Diaz b/c he's certainly doesn't have the heaviest hands in mma.

Nate was mentioned on the show.

Well actually i cant remember if it was Nate or Nick.   One was tho.

Ya that was the only reason i mentioned him.

I guess i can agree to a point Landsberg played him but.... Getting punched in the face in the WWE is not even close to the same as the UFC pain wise or anything eles. Not even close.

He dont like or respect wrestling because its FAKE.... Punk wanted to talk about UFC fighting... well thats like Landsberg asking a guy that plays a cop on a tv show what its like to be a real cop. It makes no sense to talk to him about it.

I agree that the WWE is tougher on your body over time to a point.... mainly because they do it more.... UFC fighters dont fight every week.

Ill ask you this.....  Do you think that if a UFC fighter had to fight every week do you think it would be harder on his body then a WWE wrestler? .....  I would think so

Your analogy is terrible. They would only be similar if the actor playing a cop had now become a real cop and came on the show to talk about his career change.

Don't confuse UFC fighters (who fight maybe 2-4 times a year) with a regular mma fighter.  There are guys who fight much more often than that (for an extreme example ook-up Travis Fulton - 300 fights since 1996 for an average of nearly 17 fights a year.).  Most UFC fighters want to fight more (that's the only time they make money for the most part), but they have no control over that.

Also don't forget to account for the travel schedule of a WWE wrestler.  Although it's not as bad as it was in the past, there's still not a lot of time for them to recouperate before they're hopping on another plane or jumping in a car to head to their next show.  UFC fighters have nothing that would compare to that.

Your analogy is terrible. They would only be similar if the actor playing a cop had now become a real cop and came on the show to talk about his career change.

Ok

When did Punk fight in the UFC? He hasent signed on to fight anyone has he? Has he even been in a real MMA fight?

From my understanding hes been only training.

Don't confuse UFC fighters (who fight maybe 2-4 times a year) with a regular mma fighter.  There are guys who fight much more often than that (for an extreme example ook-up Travis Fulton - 300 fights since 1996 for an average of nearly 17 fights a year.).  Most UFC fighters want to fight more (that's the only time they make money for the most part), but they have no control over that.

Also don't forget to account for the travel schedule of a WWE wrestler.  Although it's not as bad as it was in the past, there's still not a lot of time for them to recouperate before they're hopping on another plane or jumping in a car to head to their next show.  UFC fighters have nothing that would compare to that.

Im not confusing anything...  I understand lots of UFC fighters fight lots and want to. But the rules to how much they can fight are different. Mainly because one is real and the other is fake.

There are literally zero rules for how often a fighter can/cannot fight.  The only exception is if a fighter is suspended by a commission but even then those only apply to that commission's jurisdiction (a commission will generally honor the suspensions given by other commissions though).

I have to disagree.

I guess you've never been a professional wrestler.  Let me just say, you're wrong.  There are far less injuries in UFC then WWE.

Your example of comparing an actor on TV to a wrestler is not even remotely close to reality.  It's sort of ignorant actually (no offense intended, just meaning you clearly have no clue what you're talking about).

Not even, unless while he portrayed the cop on the TV show, the fights were actually physical or the shoot outs used real bullets.

Im not confusing anything...  I understand lots of UFC fighters fight lots and want to. But the rules to how much they can fight are different. Mainly because one is real and the other is fake.

Which part of wrestling is "fake"?  The word gets thrown around a lot by people who either have never done it or dont get it.  Lots of real contact and real injuries in a fake sport.

Saw the OTR vid.  Just my opinion but it showcases Landsberg at his douchiest.  Right from the start with that idiotic "potential opponents" video.  If Punk was a frequent guest of the show and had a good relationship with Landsberg like some guests do, then the video might work as a funny lead in.  But, to my knowledge, Punk has never been a guest and certainly seems like he had never heard of OTR until now.  He's trying to start a new career where he is getting flak daily for being a joke and a "faker" that is going to get his ass kicked when he steps into the octagon for the first time.  I'm sure being offered Justin Beiber and Chef Boyardee as future opponents really helped with that.  And the WWE centric questions, aside from the injury ones, were weak at best.  But that is Landsberg's schitck and if you don't know about it, it may come off as insulting.  I thought Punk handled himself well considering the amount of condescending questions he had to field.  The only thing I would fault Punk for is if you're doing all these interviews to hype your UFC career, you gotta expect a lot of WWE questions will get tossed at you.  And you will get fools like Landsberg that are looking to promote themselves more than the guy they're interviewing.

I loved the final part where Punk calls Landsberg out.  Punk stayed cool, even seemed amused, while Landsberg got all huffy over it (getting pissy about drinking coffee, really!?!?).  I can tolerate Landsberg if he's doing the group discussions or even just two other people.  But his one on ones are usually pretty bad.  Seems to have no skill in handling the more "difficult" interviews (like Punk).  I would wager he doesn't do much background on his subjects. Just my theory.

I'm not a big Landsberg fan but I can appreciate what he does and he is usually pretty good at maintaining the "upper hand" in interviews that get a little confrontational.  But I thought Punk absolutely took him to school in that one.  I love the way Punk handled it.

As far as UFC goes, I don't really watch it but I would watch Punk's first fight for sure.  I bet he can hold his own.

I have to disagree.

I guess you've never been a professional wrestler.  Let me just say, you're wrong.  There are far less injuries in UFC then WWE.

Your example of comparing an actor on TV to a wrestler is not even remotely close to reality.  It's sort of ignorant actually (no offense intended, just meaning you clearly have no clue what you're talking about).

So i wonder why you need to call me names dude...  its my opinion if you dont like it fine.. say so and run along.

Did i call you ignorant for liking something as stupid as wrestling? Have i ever called you ignorant about any of your opinions? Nope

I can appreciate a good discussion about anything  and if and when im wrong im more then big enough to admit it. 

Which part of wrestling is "fake"?  The word gets thrown around a lot by people who either have never done it or dont get it.  Lots of real contact and real injuries in a fake sport.

The story is fake. I never said they dont hit.  But the hitting is for a whole other reason. If you cant tell the diff... well i duno what to tell you.

IMO....Its like a soap for guys.   Enjoy it.