Realistic Changes for Next Year

As rough as this slide has been, for year 1 of the new regime I like what I've seen. 

We started off the year with bottom of the barrel coordinators, a new HC, an unproven QB, and questionable depth. At least we now we have a QB and a coach to build on. Thats not too shabby. 

So starting this November I want Walters to start working on the following:

* Dump Kuale and Romby 

* Getting at least one Nat OL via free agency

* A good draft. Supposedly its a deep one. At least one OL and one receiver. 

* If you're going to play so many imports on the OL then at least get a stud or two

* Back up QB

* Lost of competition at RB and receiver

* Keep Marcel. I think he's done OK 

* Dump Etch. His scheme is NOT WORKING. 

* Take a hard look at special teams. Cant OS work a bit on that one?

Well you can't change the entire oline in one off season unless some miracles happens like what happened with sask.. but one or 2 national oline (one via free agency, although looking at that list i'm not sure that guy exists, maybe holmes from toronto) and one via the draft.

Be nice to snag Demski in the draft if we can. 

MLB is an obvious one too, Wild is a good WIL linebacker but he's too small to be an everyday MLB...

Improve the canadian depth (free agency works here) and the draft ofcourse.

Backup QB? meh i dunno about that one, Willy is our guy and if he can't do it no one can. 

Every team seems to have a dominant pass rushing defensive end, we don't have that guy so that would be an area to upgrade. Alex Hall maybe? Hickman since he only signed a 1 year deal with the ticats could be another.

One import receiver would be nice, maybe 2 but one for sure. Chris Matthews would look good next season i think.

Wouldn't mind having a big time defensive tackle, we seem to be lacking that, i like turner and i like anderson but i think it would be nice if we could move one of them to the defensive end position.

If coordinators are available in the off-season, probably a big if, but if there are guys available who can replace MB and Etch, then you'd be crazy not to atleast think about doing it. STC probably needs to be upgraded too. 

Maybe going after a guy like Jabar Westerman, who is going to be a free agent this off-season, would be a nice depth move. 

Getting some help from the NFL so guys like Mulumba and Bilukidi can come north would definitely help. 

Free agency and Nat OL usually don't go hand in hand. Generally if they make it to free agency they're not that good.

Westerman would be a nice upgrade as a starter on the DL with Thomas backing him up.

Hope Newman comes back healthy. I could see him playing the spot Sherman is but at a higher level. At minimum, I think Newman means Unumba is gone.

Trying to be realistic ...

I'd like to see Aaron Kelly, Romby Bryant, Greg Peach and EJ Kuale all replaced.

I'd keep Greg Peach (and maybe AK if his contract is friendly enough) as backups but the other two can go immediately.

I'd like to see us make a move to pick up a Canadian or two to shore up that talent pool. Walters has shown himself to be a willing participant in trades and I'd like to see what he can do when it comes time for other teams to start making tough roster choices.

Solidify ourselves a couple names in the draft. Improve the haul of imports from the offseason recruiting. Shore up the depth.

Come up with a way to stop the run. SOMEHOW manage to improve the OL.

I think the o-line once again is the major issue that needs to be worked on.     I would not be opposed if they replaced Etch and Tracey with new coaches.    Bellefeuille gets another get out of jail free card as the o line really cripples this offense. 

I say Grigsby gets bounced out to receiver or else used less as a feature back and more of a Durie role....

Trying to be realistic ...

I'd like to see Aaron Kelly, Romby Bryant, Greg Peach and EJ Kuale all replaced.

I'd keep Greg Peach (and maybe AK if his contract is friendly enough) as backups but the other two can go immediately.

I'd like to see us make a move to pick up a Canadian or two to shore up that talent pool. Walters has shown himself to be a willing participant in trades and I'd like to see what he can do when it comes time for other teams to start making tough roster choices.

Solidify ourselves a couple names in the draft. Improve the haul of imports from the offseason recruiting. Shore up the depth.

Come up with a way to stop the run. SOMEHOW manage to improve the OL.

The only thing I would add to this is that I would like to see a better back than Grigsby starting for us. Someone who can run through arm tackles.

Realistically, they should start the auditions at import receiver and DL before this season ends, get some guys up here and get the guys up here who are prospects into a game or two.  We need at least two import receivers, and two import DL.  Peach, Kelly and Bryant need to go.  Vega is iffy IMO, he could fully recover for next season, or could be pulling around a wonky leg/foot for the rest of his career.  Might need to be replaced too.  I like Booker so far, he could be one of those DL.

Running back is pretty obvious too in terms of imports.  Pretty sad, but Edmonton has played/cut 4 import RB's better than any guy we've dressed this year.  Same could be said for Calgary and Toronto.  Walters and company need to find some players south of the border for next season.

NI's will be a longer term solution.

As rough as this slide has been, for year 1 of the new regime I like what I've seen. 

We started off the year with bottom of the barrel coordinators, a new HC, an unproven QB, and questionable depth. At least we now we have a QB and a coach to build on. Thats not too shabby. 

* Dump Kuale and Romby 

* If you're going to play so many imports on the OL then at least get a stud or two

* Back up QB

How do you know Walters will do what you suggest? He may be happy with the status quo? For the millionth time I'll say how about dumping our DC first & starting from scratch actually building a defense that has some actual big run stoppers on the DL & at LB that are tough physically & aren't pushed back 5 to 8 yards every time the ball is run. And who runs a conventional defense. There are some good young coaches that are ready to move up to be coordinators instead of retreads like Etch. 

Considering we are last against the run and last in rushing the football, those are the areas to focus on for next year.

Find a tackling machine to play with Wild and Sherman (assuming those 2 are back starting)

All d-line positions should be looked at, especially DE, we have no sack machine. A little more size on the interior wouldn't hurt either.

Find two international starting tackles and fill out the rest of the line with nationals, Greaves, Goosen, Neufeld most likely

I'd keep Grigbsy but I'd be looking for a power back to be my every down starter.

Voila.

I would like to see Kuale and Romby blind-folded and driven across the border and then their passports shredded so they can't come back. We need to start giving Goosen some playing time to get him experience so he can start next year. We have to get the OL to four nationals so that we can play more good internationals in other positions. Playing 3 Imports on the line is just not good. Especially when we put an import in at guard who is no better than a national would be.

We need to get some better receivers in here asap. As for QB - Brohm can go but I like Marve and Portis. I am not as worried about the QB as other positions, and that's a good thing. We can build from our base of QB's. But we need them protected, by guys with the right passport.

I would like to see Kuale and Romby blind-folded and driven across the border and then their passports shredded so they can't come back. We need to start giving Goosen some playing time to get him experience so he can start next year. We have to get the OL to four nationals so that we can play more good internationals in other positions. Playing 3 Imports on the line is just not good. Especially when we put an import in at guard who is no better than a national would be.

We need to get some better receivers in here asap. As for QB - Brohm can go but I like Marve and Portis. I am not as worried about the QB as other positions, and that's a good thing. We can build from our base of QB's. But we need them protected, by guys with the right passport.

Because if we blind fold them they won't be able to find their way back up here?!?

* Dump Kuale and Romby 

* Back up QB

How do you know Walters will do what you suggest? He may be happy with the status quo? For the millionth time I'll say how about dumping our DC first & starting from scratch actually building a defense that has some actual big run stoppers on the DL & at LB that are tough physically & aren't pushed back 5 to 8 yards every time the ball is run. And who runs a conventional defense. There are some good young coaches that are ready to move up to be coordinators instead of retreads like Etch. 

Not sure what you are arguing against -- I said replace Etch in my post. 

I haven't been happy with him since day 1 and knew how this would play out -- just like in SK.

I'm not sure if all the problems with the team can be resolved enough between now and next June- there's a lot of them. As has been said ad nauseum, we need to replace all of our import O-linemen with either very good one or decent Canucks. We need a middle linebacker who strikes respect if not fear in opposing running backs and slot backs. We need one of not two import receivers as well as a healthy Nick Moore- Kelly may be one of the receivers we need, but he's going to have to prove it over the next four games or he should be gone. We  need either a dominant defensive end and/or tackle, be they homegrown or imported. Despite his flashes of performance, Grigsby sure as spit does not look like the back we need. Etch and whomever is responsible for special teams has to be called in on the carpet and our much-heralded o-line coach has not covered himself in glory either. Bellefeuille cannot be assessed until he has something other than chicken feathers to cook with.

Because if we blind fold them they won't be able to find their way back up here?!?

I bet Kuale couldn't. He doesn't come accross as the sharpest tool in the shed.

* Dump Kuale and Romby 

* Back up QB

Not sure what you are arguing against -- I said replace Etch in my post. 

I haven't been happy with him since day 1 and knew how this would play out -- just like in SK.

No, saw that.I was referring to your points before Etch. I sense a great deal of stubborness in the people managing & coaching this organization, like Joe Mack was... That they're 115% right & everyone else is wrong. And in MOS's case, if you're not with him then you're against him. Something I don't like seeing. I thought we were past that.

. Or it's better than last year just because...

It's not better than last year just because, it's better than last year because it's better than last year. We've used the same qb every game this year, that alone is leaps and bounds better than last year, and he's even performed well! The team doesn't just roll over and die this year. It's better than last year because the bar last year was set so incredibly low. 

. Or it's better than last year just because...

It's not better than last year just because, it's better than last year because it's better than last year. We've used the same qb every game this year, that alone is leaps and bounds better than last year, and he's even performed well! The team doesn't just roll over and die this year. It's better than last year because the bar last year was set so incredibly low. 

Very key point. Consistency at the QB position is a nice change for sure. ISO does make a good point about stubborness and it's impact on improvement. So far the jury is still out on that one being that this is the first year for the coaching staff.