Mike O'Shea's leadership

gbill2004

Is it really calling out a player if the coach says our loud that that we need to be better at stopping the run, running the ball better, protecting the QB better, or catching the ball better? It verges on insulting the intelligence of the fans (and media) when O'Shea says that the team has the talent, but just has to brush up on some of the fundamentals of the game a bit.

http://amfootball.isport.com/amfootball-guides/characteristics-of-a-good-football-coach

O'shea has all of those.. What he seems to be lacking tho is overall talent on the field, depth and a fan base that doesn't really know what they want.

Last years coach throws players under the bus, people hate it, this years doesn't, people hate it.

I have an idea there Gbill... Why not call in to the radio show on Monday and question his leadership. You call every week pretty much but you seemingly kiss his ass all the time, just like last week you were kissing kuales ass on twitter..

I see your tweets dude, last week you basically said kuale made up for everything he has done this season because he had a pretty damn good game.

This week, going after the guy, not really sure what you want week to week eh?  

Who are you...some guy stalking me?  When I call into the CJOB show I question O'Shea, I have ever kissed his ass.  CJOB actually used one of my questions on their promo for the Coach's show.  I have a fantasy hockey draft tomorrow night but am still hoping to call into the show with this exact question. 

Re. Kuale, two weeks ago I called him out on twitter about his poor performance and his terrible comments on the CJOB post game show, and he acknowledged he needs to play better. Game against Hamilton I said he redeemed himself, which he did, playing one of his best games of the year; that was in reference to the previous game, not the entire season.  I then called him out again after the loss to Ottawa, where he played terrible.  "Not sure what I want week to week"...WTF are you talking about?  If someone plays well I'll congratulate them.  If they play poor I might tell them.  What's so complicated about that?   Kuale loves responding to fans on twitter so I tweet him more than others.

Either way, you sound creepy.  Is there an ignore function on here?

Funny thing about that twitter, when you follow the same guys and i follow kuale too, you get to see the tweets that that person retweets on your timeline. Weird how that works. Lol though calling me creepy or stalking when you talking about twitter which is pretty much the definition of stalking people and when you use the same username you do on here, makes it even more obvious who is  tweeting what. Whatever though. I don't really care to be honest, just questioning why one week you are one way and the next week you are the opposite. Now i know, it's cool man. Calm down a bit though eh. Ignore me all you want, i'll still be able to see your tweets when they are retweeted by the same guys i follow. 

Is it really calling out a player if the coach says our loud that that we need to be better at stopping the run, running the ball better, protecting the QB better, or catching the ball better? It verges on insulting the intelligence of the fans (and media) when O'Shea says that the team has the talent, but just has to brush up on some of the fundamentals of the game a bit.

I completely agree but, don't forget these coaches are/were jocks and most have a degree in exercise if anything. It's like watching a chess match between 4 year olds.

I agree, O'Shea can criticize specific aspects of the team without naming names when they under-perform instead of deflecting as he does.  I like Chamblin's no-nonsense approach with fans, players and media alike, he is brutally honest, straight forward and doesn't throw players under the bus.  He does bench players though so he makes clear there are consequences for poor play.  If you watched the RR/Stamps game after he pulled Doege, Chamblin had a face to face with him from about 6" embracing him with his hands on his shoulder and helmet as he would a son.  He wasn't yelling at him but actually speaking directly to him though words and his eyes.  To me that shows ultimate accountability.

I agree, O'Shea can criticize specific aspects of the team without naming names when they under-perform instead of deflecting as he does.  I like Chamblin's no-nonsense approach with fans, players and media alike, he is brutally honest, straight forward and doesn't throw players under the bus.  He does bench players though so he makes clear there are consequences for poor play.  If you watched the RR/Stamps game after he pulled Doege, Chamblin had a face to face with him from about 6" embracing him with his hands on his shoulder and helmet as he would a son.  He wasn't yelling at him but actually speaking directly to him though words and his eyes.  To me that shows ultimate accountability.

Isn't chamblin also the guy that bans the media from attending practices? you think that would fly here? LOL. For every good that one coach on another team does, there are equally as  bad things he does and if he was coaching here, the fans would rip him a new one too. Maybe worse even, Chamblins coaching pretty much lead the riders to lose a few games earlier in the season they shouldn't have also and you can even say that not playing sunseri the entire game vs calgary was a coaching mistake. The kid looked good that game. What if he played the entire game? Perhaps sask would have won? 

Isn't chamblin also the guy that bans the media from attending practices? you think that would fly here? LOL. For every good that one coach on another team does, there are equally as  bad things he does and if he was coaching here, the fans would rip him a new one too. Maybe worse even, Chamblins coaching pretty much lead the riders to lose a few games earlier in the season they shouldn't have also and you can even say that not playing sunseri the entire game vs calgary was a coaching mistake. The kid looked good that game. What if he played the entire game? Perhaps sask would have won? 

I wasn't comparing coaching results just different styles of communication.

So what are you really saying? That all coaches should communicate the way YOU want them to? or they should all communicate the same no matter what? Or that definitely one method of communication is better than the others because you think it is?

So what are you really saying? That all coaches should communicate the way YOU want them to? or they should all communicate the same no matter what? Or that definitely one method of communication is better than the others because you think it is?

IMO O'Shea obfuscates the problems the Bombers are currently facing and in doing so he treats both the fans and the media like they couldn't possibly have any understanding of football (shades of Kelly) or that it's none of our business (a deeper shade of Kelly).  I have no idea of how he communicates with his players because as much as I've tried they still won't let me sit in the locker room.

a better way to word it is that some people need someone pushing them from behind to motivate themselves. 

Walters not bringing in players is what bothers me the most. We are supposed to have this great scouting staff. Well for **** sake we could use their so called expertise & connections now & what does Walters do? Absofreakinglutely nothing. As far as MOS goes, a little less chip on his shoulders with the media & making players like Kuale accountable would go a long way in helping this team become a winner. This "us against them" mentality has to stop.   

There's armchair quarterbacking and then theres arm chair coaching. 

You guys have no idea what goes on in that locker room or in the board room, and certainly no idea what goes on in OS's head. 

Look everyone with half a brain knows that the Bombers have a below average roster and way below average depth. Thats what happens when you have a terrible GM for years combined with 5 plus years of lousy coaching.

OS is just careful about what he says to the media so he doesn't create a "poison" environment where the few good players we have leave and we can't get quality coaches or free agents this off season. 

IMO O'Shea obfuscates the problems the Bombers are currently facing and in doing so he treats both the fans and the media like they couldn't possibly have any understanding of football (shades of Kelly) or that it's none of our business (a deeper shade of Kelly).  I have no idea of how he communicates with his players because as much as I've tried they still won't let me sit in the locker room.

Well he's right the media doesn't have a real understanding of football...also most fans don't truly understand the inner workings either...he never says or intimates it's none of our business, that is purely your take on things.

a better way to word it is that some people need someone pushing them from behind to motivate themselves. 

Walters not bringing in players is what bothers me the most. We are supposed to have this great scouting staff. Well for **** sake we could use their so called expertise & connections now & what does Walters do? Absofreakinglutely nothing. As far as MOS goes, a little less chip on his shoulders with the media & making players like Kuale accountable would go a long way in helping this team become a winner. This "us against them" mentality has to stop.   

Perhaps you haven't been reading the bombers new from so far away...we brought in two new receivers just last week, and have more players on the practice roster, just haven't inserted them yet, but it appears that will happen soon

I think we will have to finish the year with what we have right now as far as the whole operation goes. As much as O'Shea might want some changes the time has passed for this year. We will have to get those guys to play the way they can at times and hope it works. If they don't we will  live a redux of LaPo's post games comments like: "We have to learn to play better" on a short loop that just keeps going around.

I think Coach O'Shea is the right person for us and feel he might have learnt lots this year. He could still make the playoffs but the odds are not in his favor. My only wish is he will make the players accountable for their conduct and effort on the field. 

If last offseason was the important Bomber off season in decades -- firing the entire operation and installing a new GM, coach, and ideology -- then this offseason is a close second 

Bombers NEED to draft well, recruit well, and be a BIG player in free agency. Also need to totally revamp the defensive scheme 

Last off-seaosn was all Miller -- this one better be all Walters (and oshea)

LOL. Unless a person is player or a fly on the wall in the Bomber's dressing room they have absolutely no idea how or what MOS communicates to his players.....and that's the way it should be.

I fully agree with your statement but I have a concern that whatever he has been telling them in the club room has not made too much difference on the field. Would you not agree there has been very little change in the effort or discipline of some regardless of what has been said in the room. If he's all over some guys these players are either too dense or don't give a shat what the HC says.

Perhaps you haven't been reading the bombers new from so far away...we brought in two new receivers just last week, and have more players on the practice roster, just haven't inserted them yet, but it appears that will happen soon

But no guys that will push where we need them on the DL, OL or linebacker. Ameet Pall, whoop de doo. 

Regardless, we are still light years ahead of last season...

If Kuale is still on this team next June... then I start worrying.

Wait.. Huh? Something you posted i agree with? Best go check my meds.. *mutters incoherently to self while walking away*

I don't care how he deals with the media.  I don't care if he yells at his players or if he is buddy buddy with his players.  I don't even care if he throws his players under the bus or not. As they say, there are many different ways to skin a cat. Just get results! That's all I care about. Don Mathews was a guy who would yell at his players, be short with the media and on occasion throw a player under the bus and I would take his winning record any day.  Mike Riley on the other hand was the complete opposite and he was also a winner.

What concerns me is that it seems like Coach O'Shea is acting like he is still a player, one of the guys, rather than a head coach. 

The Bombers have lost 7 of their last 8 games and in that time I can not think of anyone from the starting line-up that has been replaced due to their performance.  (Not to say that there isn't at least one, but I just can't think of any.)  Kuale is kind of the poster child for this problem.  Kuale has not been stellar this season and on top of that he takes at least one, if not more, 15 yard penalties a game. That in my mind is unacceptable.

O'Shea has also made some odd in game decisions, for example, when there is 10 minutes left in the game, and you are down by 8, you don't need to go for 2 just yet. But I will caulk that up to rookie mistakes.  Hopefully he learns from them. 

I still have hope that O'Shea will learn that sometimes he is going to have to make the tough decision and be the so called bad guy.