Mike O'Shea's leadership

gbill2004

Mike O'Shea's biggest problem now is his unconditional loyalty to people who are not performing. O'Shea wonders why the players keep taking stupid penalties. Its not that hard to figure out.

O'Shea has named Kuale as the "leader" on defense. Kuale constantly takes stupid penalties and O'Shea sticks up for him. Other players see this, and whether consciously or subconsciously, they learn that if our leader can take stupid penalties so can we. A head coach who has blind loyalty to players who are not performing, eventually get fired for this reason.

Same as any workplace. I work in an office and if my boss allows someone to get away with a certain behavior (e.g. coming in late for work), everyone in the office sees this, and they learn that this is acceptable behavior. It becomes the culture of the organization; coming in to work late is okay.

Doesn't matter what the boss says, it's what actions employees see. Same works with athletes.

O'Shea needs to be very careful here...while I like him, he is managing this situations very poorly. Hopefully he learns from this.

Good post gbill - agree 100%. I mentioned in another thread I cheered when Kuale went down, and will cheer louder if he's forced to go on the six game. I never like seeing a player get hurt for an extended period - it happens it's part of the game but I don't like it. Except, in this circumstance, as it's the only way to keep this jerk off the field. 

MOS has to hold his players accountable, and he's not. I think it was the Banjo bowl where that idiot took FOUR roughing penalties and two off sides, yet he wasn't benched. Not even for a quarter. Really! I would understand if he was having the type of season that Ellimenian (spelling I know) is having in B.C. - but even then Benevides would sit his a$$ down if he was doing that for a quarter at least. 

Loyalty is good so long as the people you are loyal to do not abuse it. Some of these guys are abusing it and MOS is too dumb or too stubborn to realize it. 

Listen to him on the post game show...he sounds like he's holding back big time and there are times he sounds like he just wants to explode.

And then he ends saying Romby Bryant did a good job tackling and gave lots of effort.  Mike, I like you as a coach but...ROMBY BRYANT SUCKS!!!!

Yup. There's been zero accountability whatsoever from O'Shea.

I am actually surprised by this. I would have thought Mike would have been a lot tougher on the players on that front. I like that he doesn't publicly throw them under the bus, but behind closed doors I thought heads would roll.  The fact that Kuale is still playing is puzzling to me. I think he was/is a excellent choice to coach and believe as he gets more comfortable he will put more of his personal touch on the team. Just my 2 cents.

I think a lot of this stems from Burke throwing guys under the bus publicly for much of last season...

A buddy of mine was watching pre-season practice and said OShea was really informal with the guys, working like he was part of the group... he worried it might come back to bite him.  Seems like it has, too bad I thought it was a good approach.

You can tell that Kuale is locker room poison - would take JJ or Hef over him any day.  And this new salute or whatever the D is doing really reminds me of 'swaggerville'... and we don't really want swaggerville back.

Rooke HC, Rookie GM, Rookie QB...  its caught up to us.  Bummer.

I think a lot of this stems from Burke throwing guys under the bus publicly for much of last season...

A buddy of mine was watching pre-season practice and said OShea was really informal with the guys, working like he was part of the group... he worried it might come back to bite him.  Seems like it has, too bad I thought it was a good approach.

You can tell that Kuale is locker room poison - would take JJ or Hef over him any day.  And this new salute or whatever the D is doing really reminds me of 'swaggerville'... and we don't really want swaggerville back.

Agreed.  For anyone who has ever had a promotion etc. at work, quite often the friend / still just one of the guys approach is attempted. Its when you have friggin had it with the guys pushing their luck that the true boss arrives. That day is coming for O'Shea. I'll stand by my comment that he was/is a good choice to be head coach.  Losing will not sit well with him and I'm sure it isn't, heads will roll before seasons end.

The only real complaint I have with O'Shea is that he won't make line up changes when guys aren't obviously playing poorly. That's cool and all that you don't want to bench guys, but part of really getting the most out of a group is knowing how to put your best players on the field. Sears really is the example here. He sat on the IR for an inexcusable length of time while healthy. When healthy he is one of the top players on the team and you make room on your roster for players like that. Little more proactive roster management from him and no complaints about his coaching. 

The only real complaint I have with O'Shea is that he won't make line up changes when guys aren't obviously playing poorly. That's cool and all that you don't want to bench guys, but part of really getting the most out of a group is knowing how to put your best players on the field. Sears really is the example here. He sat on the IR for an inexcusable length of time while healthy. When healthy he is one of the top players on the team and you make room on your roster for players like that. Little more proactive roster management from him and no complaints about his coaching. 

Just a question. What's the storey with Paddy? I was looking forward to seeing him play. Is he a healthy scratch? Why hasn't he been 6-gamed? Has he lost his job as a starter?

Results speak volumes. IMWT. 

Just a question. What's the storey with Paddy? I was looking forward to seeing him play. Is he a healthy scratch? Why hasn't he been 6-gamed? Has he lost his job as a starter?

Neufeld? He's hurt. They love him so if he could play he would be. 

Mike O'Shea's biggest problem now is his unconditional loyalty to people who are not performing. O'Shea wonders why the players keep taking stupid penalties. Its not that hard to figure out.

O'Shea has named Kuale as the "leader" on defense. Kuale constantly takes stupid penalties and O'Shea sticks up for him. Other players see this, and whether consciously or subconsciously, they learn that if our leader can take stupid penalties so can we. A head coach who has blind loyalty to players who are not performing, eventually get fired for this reason.

Same as any workplace. I work in an office and if my boss allows someone to get away with a certain behavior (e.g. coming in late for work), everyone in the office sees this, and they learn that this is acceptable behavior. It becomes the culture of the organization; coming in to work late is okay.

Doesn't matter what the boss says, it's what actions employees see. Same works with athletes.

O'Shea needs to be very careful here...while I like him, he is managing this situations very poorly. Hopefully he learns from this.

i mentioned it at the start of the year when O'Shea described his coaching approach that I hope he doesn't adopt Jeff Ren bold approach to being loyal to crappy players. He's a first year head coach so hopefully he'll understand that at this level 100 percent effort from certain players is not enough, they need to perform, huge difference between the two. My guess is Jeff Ren bold would tell you he found out this the hard way.

a better way to word it is that some people need someone pushing them from behind to motivate themselves.

Actually no. What I'm suggesting is that O'Shea is contributing to the problem, without knowing it.

and I was responding to the comments tracker made..

a better way to word it is that some people need someone pushing them from behind to motivate themselves.

Actually no. What I'm suggesting is that O'Shea is contributing to the problem, without knowing it.

Might want to use the quote feature then.

It is very hard to hang most the blame on O'Shea not knowing how much the coordinators control their respective areas during the game. We just don't seem to be able to adjust the game plan as the game progresses. That falls under the responsibility of the coordinators. My feelings are they are not in tune with current schemes and attempt to be too cute. However, it is the responsibility on the head coach to maintain the level of discipline that will not interrupt the flow of the game. Kuale is on him.

or just stop being so self important and realize not everyone cares what you say

I agree with the highlighted part of your post.

I think O'Shea sees himself as one of the guys so it's going to be hard for him to send his buddies down the road with an apple when they under-perform.  O'Shea has the "Daddy complex" and I'm not sure his personality is tough enough to morph into becoming the villain of his own children.

http://amfootball.isport.com/amfootball-guides/characteristics-of-a-good-football-coach

O'shea has all of those.. What he seems to be lacking tho is overall talent on the field, depth and a fan base that doesn't really know what they want.

Last years coach throws players under the bus, people hate it, this years doesn't, people hate it.

I have an idea there Gbill... Why not call in to the radio show on Monday and question his leadership. You call every week pretty much but you seemingly kiss his ass all the time, just like last week you were kissing kuales ass on twitter..

I see your tweets dude, last week you basically said kuale made up for everything he has done this season because he had a pretty damn good game.

This week, going after the guy, not really sure what you want week to week eh?  

or just stop being so self important and realize not everyone cares what you say

Or you could just use the quote feature; that's kinda what its there for to avoid confusing situations like these.  But I guess you are too important so don't need to follow the rules.

http://amfootball.isport.com/amfootball-guides/characteristics-of-a-good-football-coach

O'shea has all of those.. What he seems to be lacking tho is overall talent on the field, depth and a fan base that doesn't really know what they want.

Last years coach throws players under the bus, people hate it, this years doesn't, people hate it.

I have an idea there Gbill... Why not call in to the radio show on Monday and question his leadership. You call every week pretty much but you seemingly kiss his ass all the time, just like last week you were kissing kuales ass on twitter..

I see your tweets dude, last week you basically said kuale made up for everything he has done this season because he had a pretty damn good game.

This week, going after the guy, not really sure what you want week to week eh?  

Who are you...some guy stalking me?  When I call into the CJOB show I question O'Shea, I have ever kissed his ass.  CJOB actually used one of my questions on their promo for the Coach's show.  I have a fantasy hockey draft tomorrow night but am still hoping to call into the show with this exact question. 

Re. Kuale, two weeks ago I called him out on twitter about his poor performance and his terrible comments on the CJOB post game show, and he acknowledged he needs to play better. Game against Hamilton I said he redeemed himself, which he did, playing one of his best games of the year; that was in reference to the previous game, not the entire season.  I then called him out again after the loss to Ottawa, where he played terrible.  "Not sure what I want week to week"...WTF are you talking about?  If someone plays well I'll congratulate them.  If they play poor I might tell them.  What's so complicated about that?   Kuale loves responding to fans on twitter so I tweet him more than others.

Either way, you sound creepy.  Is there an ignore function on here?