The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

11 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Somethings off when music created 50 years ago is realistically more popular than music created today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9001083/why-older-music-more-popular-than-new-music/

Oh yah, new music sucks.

I think the biggest advantage of older music is that all of the crap music that was around when the "classic" music emerged has, thankfully, been flushed into the sewers of history and forgotten. With all the media everpresent now, the crappy music and what passes for music is hyped and thus assumed to be something that will weather well. It ain't necessarily so.

20 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Somethings off when music created 50 years ago is realistically more popular than music created today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9001083/why-older-music-more-popular-than-new-music/

Oh yah, new music sucks.

which new music have you listened to?

9 hours ago, Wideleft said:

There is a ton of good "new" music and we over-romanticize old music because it connects with our memories.  A lot of "classic" rock is pretty trash.

correct.

" thunder only happens when its raining"  

wow. clearly a lot of work, reworking, revising, pondering went  into that though provoking lyric. 

🙄😂🤡

People who think there is no good music just stopped listening.

Edited by Mark F

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

which new music have you listened to?

correct.

" thunder only happens when its raining"  

wow. clearly a lot of work, reworking, revising, pondering went  into that though provoking lyric. 

🙄😂🤡

People who think there is no good music just stopped listening.

I think you missed the point, I know good music can be found to suit personal taste if one goes looking for it in alternate locations, but what is being presented by main stream radio is utter dross compared to what they presented in the distant past.  It's all flash with no depth or redeeming qualities, here today, gone tomorrow, they're not presenting future classics.

Edited by Fatty Liver

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think you missed the point, I know good music can be found to suit personal taste if one goes looking for it in alternate locations, but what is being presented by main stream radio is utter dross compared to what they presented in the distant past.  It's all flash with no depth or redeeming qualities, here today, gone tomorrow, they're not presenting future classics.

So, you're not wrong...but it's a really long, convoluted answer that has to do with (shock!) money. I don't feel like typing up the thesis paper today, but it's all about advertiser dollars and making sure every song sounds exactly like every other song being played. Can't take a chance of something sounding different might have a person change the station to something else. Not worth the risk. Too much $$ at stake. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So, you're not wrong...but it's a really long, convoluted answer that has to do with (shock!) money. I don't feel like typing up the thesis paper today, but it's all about advertiser dollars and making sure every song sounds exactly like every other song being played. Can't take a chance of something sounding different might have a person change the station to something else. Not worth the risk. Too much $$ at stake. 

Sure money, nothing else matters, making the most money eventually becomes more important than all other product qualities.  It's like a parasitic disease that drains all life out of it's host.

Edited by Fatty Liver

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I blame the deejays. Beholden to the corporate sponsors, everyone afraid to say “booger” on air for fear of being fired! Dr John would never have stood for it. 🤣

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

We're also at a time and age where almost anyone can produce and publish music. We have access to an entire world of music and at anytime and more of it is being created than ever before. The radio is the same as it's always been. 

this is more than fair and accurate.... there's also a whole thing about how few record labels there are now and how much power and influence they have over pop culture. Major labels like Universal dictate so much....

@Fatty Liver Didnt miss your point.." all music todaynisnbad"

I dont agree.

and "mainstream" radio was where most people heard new music forty or fifty years ago.

If that's where you're getting a sampling of the music of today, yeah, it's,bad. 

but

No , as in not any, young people listen to the radio to find music. 

Edited by Mark F

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

and "mainstream" radio was where most people heard new music forty or fifty years ago.

Well I mean, back then there weren't nearly as many radio stations, but YES, radio was absolutely where people heard new music 40 or 50 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well I mean, back then there weren't nearly as many radio stations, but YES, radio was absolutely where people heard new music 40 or 50 years ago. 

@Fatty Liver listen to this, ten year old,music,,Canadian band, no radio play... and tell,me,there' s no good music

most people my age have never heard of Big Wreck.

Just now, Mark F said:

@Fatty Liver listen to this, ten year old,music,,Canadian band, no radio play... and tell,me,there' s no good music

most people my age have never heard of Big Wreck.

Big Wreck had a ton of radio play. Technically not a Canadian band...they're really an American band, but the lead singer and songwriter is Canadian which qualified them as CanCon, so they got a LOT of radio airplay because of that. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Big Wreck had a ton of radio play. Technically not a Canadian band...they're really an American band, but the lead singer and songwriter is Canadian which qualified them as CanCon, so they got a LOT of radio airplay because of that. 

ok....obviously you know.

but, my main point is... there is a lot of good,music,today. that tune is objectively outstanding

also...second,guitar player is a winnipeg guy. thornley lives in to.

and....wherever they are from, the tune is,brilliant.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

ok....obviously you know.

but, my main point is... there is a lot of good,music,today. that tune is objectively outstanding

also...second,guitar player is a winnipeg guy. thornley lives in to.

and....wherever they are from, the tune is,brilliant.

Big Wreck is great...I just think they're a really poor choice to prove that bands exist outside of radio, because they were a MASSIVE radio band. Huge hits in the 90s. Thornley is genius..... (his recent solo stuff was excellent as well). "Classic Rock" (sigh...) radio is still playing a lot of their stuff up here because it's good and it's CanCon. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Big Wreck is great...I just think they're a really poor choice to prove that bands exist outside of radio,

well I was completely wrong about big wreck, radio, you are right.

main point for me is, there is good music now, and lots of it.

I can agree that there was an explosion in pop music in the sixties, that has never been equalled. nothing close.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

well I was completely wrong about big wreck, radio, Inagree.

main point for me is, there is good music now, and lots of it.

I can agree that there was an explosion in pop music in the sixties, that has never been equalled. nothing close.

It's only recently, with the explosion of YouTube, Spotify and TikTok (whatever that is...) , that radio has been overtaken as the #1 source for new music. And even then, it's really close. There's still a LOT of people listening to radio (and listening to it specifically for music) despite what naysayers will tell you....

Edited by Noeller