Free Press (Fan Vote) Picking All-Time Blue Bomber Greats

comedygeek

I voted for the smartest one - John Bonk. When he was our center, or oline was never 'weak'. Bonk wasn't big, especially by today's standards, but he was very fast, and very very smart. The center position is critical in football and you can't be no 'dummy' (not saying the other guys were, not at all, I'm just saying you have to be smart) and Other than Bill Frank it's a good list. I'm surprised Norman isn't there either, thought eventually he got his knee taken out, ole Butch was Dieter's personal protector and did a great job as Brock wasn't exactly Mr. Mobility. 

As for the question on who Brock's receivers were - Mike Holmes was one. Leo Ezrins was for a bit too until they turned him from a tight end (yes they still had tight ends in those days) to a linebacker. Tommy Scott was another one (though they traded him to Edmonton for the right to draft Joe Poplawski, or maybe the Esks had already drafted Joe Pops and it was the trade to him outright - this is by memory I ain't looking it up). I'd have to look up the other receivers, if mentioned I'd remember. 

I remember Eugene Goodlow (spelling?) as a standout receiver that Brock threw to in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he broke his neck in a game against Calgary, and it was the last game he played for Winnipeg as he went to the NFL in the off-season.

Goodlow became the first player in CFL history to reach 100 receptions in a season during the 1981 season.

Then unfortunately, he broke his neck in Montreal. Missed nearly the entire 82 season. 

Nope - you missed it. bb king got it right. I forgot all about Eugene. Check it now as again going by memory but it was early in the second quarter - Goodlow already had 7 catches for over 100 yards and three (yes three) Touchdowns. But then on the 8th - he was sandwiched - but his head down when the Calgary safety (game was in Calgary) hit him head to head and compressed his vertebrae.

He went to the NFL and the New Orleans Saints the next year where he spent two or three seasons as a third receiver. I'm sure he came back here though to finish his career and it might of been in Montreal as a player but he never reached that level again. That season he caught everything Brock threw him. How could I forget Goodlow :(

I voted for the smartest one - John Bonk. When he was our center, or oline was never 'weak'. Bonk wasn't big, especially by today's standards, but he was very fast, and very very smart. The center position is critical in football and you can't be no 'dummy' (not saying the other guys were, not at all, I'm just saying you have to be smart) and Other than Bill Frank it's a good list. I'm surprised Norman isn't there either, thought eventually he got his knee taken out, ole Butch was Dieter's personal protector and did a great job as Brock wasn't exactly Mr. Mobility. 

As for the question on who Brock's receivers were - Mike Holmes was one. Leo Ezrins was for a bit too until they turned him from a tight end (yes they still had tight ends in those days) to a linebacker. Tommy Scott was another one (though they traded him to Edmonton for the right to draft Joe Poplawski, or maybe the Esks had already drafted Joe Pops and it was the trade to him outright - this is by memory I ain't looking it up). I'd have to look up the other receivers, if mentioned I'd remember. 

I remember Eugene Goodlow (spelling?) as a standout receiver that Brock threw to in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he broke his neck in a game against Calgary, and it was the last game he played for Winnipeg as he went to the NFL in the off-season.

Goodlow became the first player in CFL history to reach 100 receptions in a season during the 1981 season.

Then unfortunately, he broke his neck in Montreal. Missed nearly the entire 82 season. 

Nope - you missed it. bb king got it right. I forgot all about Eugene. Check it now as again going by memory but it was early in the second quarter - Goodlow already had 7 catches for over 100 yards and three (yes three) Touchdowns. But then on the 8th - he was sandwiched - but his head down when the Calgary safety (game was in Calgary) hit him head to head and compressed his vertebrae.

He went to the NFL and the New Orleans Saints the next year where he spent two or three seasons as a third receiver. I'm sure he came back here though to finish his career and it might of been in Montreal as a player but he never reached that level again. That season he caught everything Brock threw him. How could I forget Goodlow :(

He played 6 seasons in the NFL with the Saints & then came back briefly to the CFL in 1989 where he just played a couple of games. I think with the Ti Cats. 

Dieter had Tom Scott, Eugene Goodlow, Joe Pop, Rick House and James Murphy among others at various times to throw to. Some pretty good receivers.

Yes James Murphy and who was the other wideout? The one that replace Goodlow? Man, I can see him but can't quite remember his name. 

He played 6 seasons in the NFL with the Saints & then came back briefly to the CFL in 1989 where he just played a couple of games. I think with the Ti Cats. 

6 was it - wow. And yes, I believe it was Hamilton he came back to but why I don't know, he did nothing there and should have stayed retired at that point. 

I chose Bill Frank who just passed away this June. He had a quiet motor that never quit. He was voted one of the top 50 players in the CFL and one of the players on the Bombers' dream team. I don't know how he would have played in this time but in his time here he was the best.

Any of those guys would sure look good right now.

I chose Bill Frank who just passed away this June. He had a quiet motor that never quit. He was voted one of the top 50 players in the CFL and one of the players on the Bombers' dream team. I don't know how he would have played in this time but in his time here he was the best.

Any of those guys would sure look good right now.

To me Bill Frank was the best of the best. I didn't see his name down. Going to recheck. If he is on the list he has my vote.

Suspect it will be Walby but all good candidates.

With most of these lists it's tough to make a poor choice.

yep, unlike the Riders the Bombers have a rich history
Who's the troll? Gee I wonder.

I don't think a guy on his home forum can really be called a troll when poking fun of a rival fan... But that's just me..

I don't think a guy on his home forum can really be called a troll when poking fun of a rival fan... But that's just me..

Road Griller wasn't a troll, SPuDS?

Kenny Ploen hands down. What he brought to the table was smarts. There was no electronic communatin from the sidelines but He read Bud Grants mind. The QB called the plays.

However his arm was pathetic. He came to the Bombers as an option QB That was the rage at the time. Jackie Parker, a Bomber rival was another exponent of the roll out option. There were pocket passers, Etchevery, Tripuka, Tobin Rote, come to mind, but the roll out was the bomber bread and butter in his early years. His ball was was wounded duck. But it it got there. Over the years he developed into a competent pocket passer but the threat to run was always there. What I remember most about his game was hs ability ti pick the defense apart in the 4th quarter, it was truly amazing.

Road Griller wasn't a troll, SPuDS?

He was (is?) a strange ducky.. Pretty close to troll as one can get but i almost think he believes the jibberish he spews..

Kenny Ploen hands down. What he brought to the table was smarts. There was no electronic communatin from the sidelines but He read Bud Grants mind. The QB called the plays.

However his arm was pathetic. He came to the Bombers as an option QB That was the rage at the time. Jackie Parker, a Bomber rival was another exponent of the roll out option. There were pocket passers, Etchevery, Tripuka, Tobin Rote, come to mind, but the roll out was the bomber bread and butter in his early years. His ball was was wounded duck. But it it got there. Over the years he developed into a competent pocket passer but the threat to run was always there. What I remember most about He was a Wing T his game was hs ability ti pick the defense apart in the 4th quarter, it was truly amazing.

He was a Wing T quarterback at Iowa & Bud Grant wanted to run the same offense here so Bombers GM at the time Jim Austin was able to convince Ploen to sign with Winnipeg. Especially as he was being looked at by the NFL as strictly a defensive back. The Bombers actually offered Ploen a bit more money than he would have gotten had he signed in the NFL & the chance to play qb so for Ken it was a no brainer. I do not agree with  your assessment of Ploen's arm being pathetic. It may have not been a rifle like Sam Etcheverry's, Tobin Rote's or Russ Jackson's arm was back then but it was more than good & accurate enough to get the job done. Hell, if you wanted to see wounded ducks being served up on nearly every pass play, then Joe  Kapp in BC was the guy for you. Ken was a cerebral qb who recognized coverages & could always find an open receiver. He had a decent arm, was accurate, mobile & could run when he had to. Ken Ploen was a winner plain & simple.

The linebackers the Bombers had in the late 80's - early 90's were insane! And there were some greats that didn't make the list. Aaron Brown and Delbert Fowler of that era weren't slouches either. Did K.D. Williams play linebacker? It's a tough call - I remember Greg Battle's performance in the 1990 Grey Cup. One interception on the Bomber's goal line and one for a pick-six.