Now it's Adrian Peterson alleged beating of a child

LeBird

I got spanked by my dad as well as the strap across my behind plenty of times as a kid. But that was the early to mid 60's & times were indeed different. Back then children were expected to be "seen & not heard". My mom wacked me a few times as well as a young boy when I was being a little shithead & deserved it. I spanked my two sons when they refused to listen, misbehaved or got in trouble. I always used an open hand. But I stopped spanking them when they turned 10 or 11. As a parent, you have to use different strategies for disciplining children nearing their teenage years as spanking doesn't work anymore. Spanking my kids when they were 12 would have been the wrong thing to do.

They are 27 & 23 now & they turned out alright. BUT... I only spanked them in "moderation". In other words not as hard as I could have & maybe three smacks tops. Just enough that if they wouldn't listen or got in trouble they'd know what was coming. I'd never use a stick or switch. We used to get compliments from people as to how well behaved our kids were when we were in public. I don't regret doing what I did because I felt it was the right thing to do & so did my wife.

Using a switch on a 4 year old? No, that's way over the top. Plus the boy was afraid AP was going to punch him in the face according to the story I read. There were defensive wounds on his hands AND GENITALS. Uh uh, that's too much.

Spanking and discipling a child is fine.  When you leave bruises and cuts, you;'re beating the child.

Like Chris Carter said, playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right.  And A.P. doesn't deserve to play.  He doesn't even think what he did was wrong.  C'mon man!  Ray Rice same deal.....doesn't deserve to play.

I wish there was this amount of pressure in the late 90's, and maybe that murderer Ray Lewis wouldn't have been allowed to play.  Everytime he speaks about this kind of stuff, he looks guilty.  He's not a role model and doesn't deserve what he was, and is, being given. 

He was indicted for child abuse & a warrant issued for his arrest. Peterson turned himself in. The NFL has a lot of problems they're going to have to address. They are a microcosm of society with one addendum. The majority of players are black. A lot  come from single family homes with no father in economically depressed areas. A lot of these players were poor growing up, & had no male role models. The ones that did weren't the best. So, you get what you get. The Charles Barkley interview I saw was probably bang on but the deniers are everywhere. How do you legislate & change a lifetime of behaviour by players? The politicians in the US don't seem to care about poverty, crime, murder, gangs & drugs in the US & it's suddenly been thrown in Roger Goodell's lap to handle. Well, other than lifetime suspensions, good luck with that. 

The Ravens, ladies and gents pic.twitter.com/Tier9kuNFC

— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur)

September 19, 2014

Doesn't it really say all we need to know? It's not AP, it's rice and a little letter/ texts he was sent by the Ravens owner. These guys know what's going on, but they just don't care. IMO, it's all about winning, sure that's not what the note says but... reading between the lines, it's pretty obvious the only thing the owners care about is Winning. They don't care about anything else, Winning and trying to save face even when they knew full well what was going on the entire time. What a joke.

NFL is a disgrace. 

I'm not going to argue about spanking other than to say its lazy parenting. I'm old enough that spanking was the norm when I was a kid. It shouldn't be now. It's not effective and there are better ways to discipline a child. Having said that there is obviously a difference between sparking and assault.

ISO makes a great point about culture. The nfl needs to take responsibility for educating players. But make no mistake, regardless of upbringing an adult knows right from wrong. And AP knew he was wrong. He knew his sons mother would be angry. That tells you all you need to know.

AP should worry about avoiding jail and having a career before he worries about the Vikings. Although I can see why he might be upset of the team told pledged their support and then two days later reneged.

Actually he should be focused on getting the help he needs to overcome the demons that made him think it was okay to do what he did.

I'm not going to argue about spanking other than to say its lazy parenting. I'm old enough that spanking was the norm when I was a kid. It shouldn't be now. It's not effective and there are better ways to discipline a child. Having said that there is obviously a difference between sparking and assault.

ISO makes a great point about culture. The nfl needs to take responsibility for educating players. But make no mistake, regardless of upbringing an adult knows right from wrong. And AP knew he was wrong. He knew his sons mother would be angry. That tells you all you need to know.

I agree - but it is also different from the Ray Rice situation, imho. 

My biggest issue, with the Ray Rice situation in particular - there are sleazeballs ALL OVER, not just professional athletes that do this to women, and men, every single day.  They get the same "punishment" he does.  The only difference is he, and his now wife, are losing millions of dollars from it.  The average Joe gets to keep his job, and often keeps beating his wife.

AP should worry about avoiding jail and having a career before he worries about the Vikings. Although I can see why he might be upset of the team told pledged their support and then two days later reneged.

Actually he should be focused on getting the help he needs to overcome the demons that made him think it was okay to do what he did.

Demons? I don't think it was demons. He was probably raised that way when it came to discipline. Demons, no. Stupid, yes.

Demons? I don't think it was demons. He was probably raised that way when it came to discipline. Demons, no. Stupid, yes.

The "raised that way" excuse is just that, an excuse.  We're not talking about subtle things impacted by how you were raised.  I understand the issue here and that those who were abused often repeat the cycle.  But thats what I mean by demons.  *Maybe* the way he was raised (if he was abused) instilled in him the natural reflex to lash out physically, but he KNEW he was wrong.  He's an adult who is at least reasonably intelligent.  He knows the difference between corporal punishment and assault.