Now it's Adrian Peterson alleged beating of a child

LeBird

I'm not going to argue about spanking other than to say its lazy parenting. I'm old enough that spanking was the norm when I was a kid. It shouldn't be now. It's not effective and there are better ways to discipline a child. Having said that there is obviously a difference between sparking and assault.

ISO makes a great point about culture. The nfl needs to take responsibility for educating players. But make no mistake, regardless of upbringing an adult knows right from wrong. And AP knew he was wrong. He knew his sons mother would be angry. That tells you all you need to know.

I agree - but it is also different from the Ray Rice situation, imho. 

My biggest issue, with the Ray Rice situation in particular - there are sleazeballs ALL OVER, not just professional athletes that do this to women, and men, every single day.  They get the same "punishment" he does.  The only difference is he, and his now wife, are losing millions of dollars from it.  The average Joe gets to keep his job, and often keeps beating his wife.

I see your point.  And had this discussion with a few people recently.  Is Rice not being paid?  I guess he's not because he was released, correct?  If I recall, AP *is* being paid.  The not playing aspect certainly is a punishment.  The backlash seems to be that if the NFL immediately presumes someone is guilty and suspends them and it turns out to be a false allegation then the player was victimized twice.  But I dont think you can paint every accusation or incident with the same brush.  There is no doubt in the cases of Rice and Peterson.  And while its not the NFL's job to be judge and jury, it is within their rights to do what they want with their players.

Many jobs have certain morality clauses.  Many of us, if charged with assault, our employers might never even know about it.  Some might consider it a personal issue with no bearing on employment.  Some might stand by the employee until the outcome is known and go from there.  But the NFL and their players operate within the public eye.  Some players have taken great exception to the idea they are role models.  But the point is, being a pro athlete comes with certain obligations.

I think creating a black & white process for any and all accusations will be difficult.  But those discussions should no reference to these two cases which are clear and obvious.

The Ravens were well within their rights to release Rice.  I dont feel sorry for him for losing millions of dollars when the local plumber would still be working.  Its a different profession.

Reports out of Minnesota that AP is not taking ownership of what he did & feels betrayed. And that he has played his last game as a Viking as they're going to trade him. Whoa.

Perfect. What he did is as bad or worse then what Rice did to his wife.

Reports out of Minnesota that AP is not taking ownership of what he did & feels betrayed. And that he has played his last game as a Viking as they're going to trade him. Whoa.

Worse.  The wife has every opportunity to pack her bags and walk away.  The child doesnt.  I also find it difficult to believe that Rice never raised his hand to his wife previously...

Worse.  The wife has every opportunity to pack her bags and walk away.  The child doesnt.  I also find it difficult to believe that Rice never raised his hand to his wife previously...

Just talking this over with the boyfriend yesterday.  The complete lack of action/emotion when she was knocked out was very, very disturbing.