Alex Brink named Als starting QB

gbill2004

They are both awful.  Brink can actually make some throws though.  Smith only has the deep ball.  Easier to defend Smith.

I guess the game we played them was an anomaly. I would rather play against Brink any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

We got beat by a number of deep balls.  Smith is one of the most inaccurate QB's we've seen recently, can't do anything to get the ball to guys who can do lots once they have it, he's also throwing at guys with a gigantic catching radius like Carter, Green, Stafford and still missing.  Brink can at least hit some of those intermediate throws and screens.  If we had a guy like Carter, Willy would probably be averaging another 50 yard passing per game.

They are both awful.  Brink can actually make some throws though.  Smith only has the deep ball.  Easier to defend Smith.

I guess the game we played them was an anomaly. I would rather play against Brink any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

We got beat by a number of deep balls.  Smith is one of the most inaccurate QB's we've seen recently, can't do anything to get the ball to guys who can do lots once they have it, he's also throwing at guys with a gigantic catching radius like Carter, Green, Stafford and still missing.  Brink can at least hit some of those intermediate throws and screens.  If we had a guy like Carter, Willy would probably be averaging another 50 yard passing per game.

Having an all-star wideout to go along with Denmark and Moore would be amazing.

.  Brink can at least hit some of those intermediate throws and screens. 

Unless of course you send pressure at him, then he's got nothing. If he has time then yeah Brink can actually play some qb but it's just so easy to defend against him. Blitz the crap out of him and he'll fail. 

Unless of course you send pressure at him, then he's got nothing. If he has time then yeah Brink can actually play some qb but it's just so easy to defend against him. Blitz the crap out of him and he'll fail. 

I haven't really paid much attention to the Als this year? Is their OL any good?

I haven't really paid much attention to the Als this year? Is their OL any good?

it doesn't really matter, just send more than they can block. Brink with that big wind up can't handle the heat. 

@CFL: UPDATE RT @DidierRDS: I'm told that Jonathan Crompton is now the number 2 QB behind Alex Brink and Tanner Marsh is third. #Alouettes #CFL

I like Crompton - he got a bum deal here when the Eskies signed Pat White. You watch, by mid-September Crompton will be their #1 guy there. 

I feel for Smith, but not too much- he seems like a decent guy who has lost whatever he had last year and looks lost altogether this year. This not going to be Montreal's year after so many great seasons with Calvillo. It sucks for the Alouettes but we sure know what that scenario is all about.

tracker, on 11 Aug 2014 - 4:55 PM, said:tracker, on 11 Aug 2014 - 4:55 PM, said:

What did Brink do to deserve this promotion? Or do they want to give Smith a chance to watch the game unfold before plugging him in?

The way I see it, the Als are right where we are last year.  A mix of bad coaching and bad QBing.  To be fair, and I'm by no means letting Troy Smith off the hook, he definitely has shown no ability to perform under dire circumstances, and even he admits these struggles have been on him, but this coaching situation, and especially bad going with a completely inexperienced unready OC, has really killed the Als O this year.  Similarly to how we reached the end of the Buck Pierce experiment, I think the Als have done the same with Troy Smith now, and once the year is over, I expect he'll be gone.  Right now, I think they're going to see if Brink and Marsh have any future for them, the first of which I know will be no.  The second, well Marsh has a gun of an arm and I'd guess if he was lucky enough to remain around Montreal as a backup, a competent or good coach could make something of him, but I don't get the feeling the Als org exactly wants him.  Crompton?  I don't buy the hype on this guy, never saw him amount to anything at UT, and hardly see a pro QB in him.  I mean who knows, maybe he just hasn't had the right coach to get him going, but these current coaches certainly are no upgrade to what he's had in the past.

Where the Als real problems are coming from as I've addressed before are up in the administration wing between Jim Popp and Rob Wetenhall.  I was over at the Als forum, happened to read one fan who was talking about this say what he thought was going on.  He said, what he figured was that after Popp wouldn't let go of his coaching title, hence the late hire of Tom Higgins, Wetenhall put him on a short leash with possibly even plans to fire him if the season went in the shitter, and then give Tom Higgins two hats as coach and GM.  Problem was, then Higgins botched that Worman situation, in which case Wetenhall decided to extend Popp should an even bigger mess follow in which they would need a house cleaning.  But all that to say, tension exists in Montreal right now, and Popp and Wetenhall have a lot to answer for this.