Bombers release RB Will Ford

People still want to adhere to the theory that do be a good coach you needed to either have played the position or have been a good player. Why is that?

It's the same people who'd believe in order to be a good surgeon, you needed to be good at "Operation".

Sorry but that's a bad argument. First because running back coach is on most staffs an entry level position into coaching regardless of the position the actual coach played in the past. Secondly Buck is not the only coach to oversee a position they didn't play. For example in Green Bay, Edgar Bennett is the team's receivers coach when he played running back in his career. I know the obvious counter to that is that running backs catch the ball too, but they don't run nearly the variety of routes a receiver does, nevermind other responsibilities of the position. Another example is Alex Van Pelt (same staff) who played his career as a quarterback and got his start in coaching as a running backs coach (which he was very successful at). He's since been promoted to quarterbacks coach but the point is, is that A) coaches on a staff often oversee a position that is different than what they played, and B ) A running backs coach is, as I said an entry level position into coaching so to suggest that Grigsby (or any back on the roster) has nothing to learn from Buck is simply not correct.

And a CFL example would be Dave Dickenson who started as the Stamps RB coach.

Yeah but look who Dave had as players at the time... Reynolds on the downslide & Cornish on the upswing. 

People still want to adhere to the theory that do be a good coach you needed to either have played the position or have been a good player. Why is that?

It is almost the opposite, fringe players seems to make the best coaches cause they couldn't skate by on natural athleticism and needed to have perfect technique and execution and strategy to compete.

Any QB that doesn't fully understand the job of an RB isn't much of a QB...

That's exactly it... I've never understood why some people were so up in arms over hiring Buck as a RB coach.... "But he never played RB!!!" they said :rolleyes:  

What are you talking about.  Buck practically played QB and RB for us as he was always running for his life behind our Oline ;)

Ford had a solid game, solid first half i should say, kind of slowed down in the second but good for Ford, good guy and glad he got a chance. I don't really think he is an every down back though and one good game doesn't change that, Don't think Grigsby is either, not so sure Cotton is either for that matter but... Good on GodsWill for having a good debut. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to laugh that Ford retweeted this comment considering he was benched for the large majority of the second half:

Tyson Craney @hellbillyphd

7 yds rushing for Grigsby tonight, good thing y'all cut @_GODSWILL2886_ Wpg lol

Retweeted by Will Ford

Ford only managed to get 39 yards himself... not exactly numbers to be bragging about.  Grigsby should send a tweet lol'ing  at Ford's receiving numbers (12 for Ford vs 61 for Grigsby).