Bombers At Lions - Gameday Thread

Atomic

Did anyone hear Tim Burke  on CJOB after the game.  He was happy, almost giddy. You'd have thought we won. He says this team is "On the cusp". Cusp of what, disaster? He also said he thought the offense played a lot better & for us to have patience as we have a "Dynamic team" & "Will do great things once we start winning".  Sigh. Now our HC is losing touch with reality.

Hopefully we ride out the season with Goltz so the next regime can know whether to keep him or not.  We were at least competitive (so I guess that counts as improvement) but still way too many mistakes.  Offensively we were okay in the first then fell off completely in the second.  Not really sure what happened to having Goltz pull the handoff and roll out on the zone read.  Maybe he didn't want to run on his ankle?  Defensively we were good (good being a relative term at this point), but teams are attacking our soft coverage.  Cauchy's getting moved all over the place by opposing QBs and Markett is never anywhere near the receivers.  Hopefully we're a little healthier after the bye.  Hamilton is a team in our weight class.

I will say one thing about the game day atmosphere, BC has a beautiful jumbotron while ours is tiny in comparison with half of the space taken over by ads(which is extremely bush league and irritates me personally to no end).

At least it was a competitive game, its a shame we couldn't at least force OT. Not to much to dislike, aside from how Goltz self destructed after he threw that horrible interception and giving up the safety which led BC to score a 9 point touchdown...

It's starting to get bad when I go online to check the score to see if the game is worth watching on the PVR..... after seeing 128 yards passing I'd rather save the 3 hours and watch something else..... that is not a good thing.  

Has this defense intercepted a pass this year?  I don't even think Marshall old crap soft defense being this bad.... it seems like every qb gets 70% and higher completion with 3 tds and 0 ints every game.   It seems like forever since this team has actually made an opposing QB struggle or returned a pick 6.....   

Oh well,  how many games until they throw Max Hall to the wolves?  I'm guessing 3?

I really don't know which game you guys were watching but I saw a game where either team could win pretty much the whole way through.

In the end the better team won, but it was a football game right from the start.

And horrible int? You mean the one that was tipped? Not a great throw, but far from a horrible throw.

And i don't see them 'throwing out' Goltz any time soon. His second real start and they gave him a game to manage and that is what he did. 

I think some of you are just bitching for the sake of bitching.

I really don't know which game you guys were watching but I saw a game where either team could win pretty much the whole way through.

In the end the better team won, but it was a football game right from the start.

And horrible int? You mean the one that was tipped? Not a great throw, but far from a horrible throw.

And i don't see them 'throwing out' Goltz any time soon. His second real start and they gave him a game to manage and that is what he did. 

I think some of you are just bitching for the sake of bitching.

1-5? Bitching? Nah, not us. Whatever gave you that idea? ;)

1-5? Bitching? Nah, not us. Whatever gave you that idea? ;)

This is the 1st game in 3 weeks where we were in the game against a top 4 team.

I know everybody wants wins every game, but you can't tell me there wasn't vast improvement in this week's play.

Buck? No thanks. No upside.

Goltz? Don't know yet. But  at least I didn't feel there was no chance. And upside.

This is the 1st game in 3 weeks where we were in the game against a top 4 team.

I know everybody wants wins every game, but you can't tell me there wasn't vast improvement in this week's play.

Buck? No thanks. No upside.

Goltz? Don't know yet. But  at least I didn't feel there was no chance. And upside.

Being close only counts in horsehoes. If a team in the CFL finishes 4-14, no one remembers the games they almost won. They just know they lost 14 games & don't care.

Being close only counts in horsehoes. If a team in the CFL finishes 4-14, no one remembers the games they almost won. They just know they lost 14 games & don't care.

Actually, EVERYONE talked about how close the 4-14 2010 Bombers were in losing 9 games by four points or less or whatever it was.

Seems when Joe Mack's overall winning record is discussed, no one ever says how close those losses were anymore. There are no asterisks. They just say he lost those games as a GM. And quote his won-lost record & say it  isn't very good. And in 2012, those close losses in 2010 &  the fact we went to the GC in 2011 didn't save LaPo's job.

Honestly though (and this is me looking for a silver lining more than anything else), Matthews makes a couple of plays .. squeezes the ball .. the outcome of that game could be much different.  A catch inside the redzone to move the chains .. a catch coming out of the shadow of our own endzone helps us manage field position ..

why oh why can't both the offense and defense show up in the same games? The defense was pretty solid last night overall. definitely looked back on track there, but the offense, man oh man it just disappeared in the 2nd half. Goltz seemed to get nervous a bit and rushed things or just missed his targets but he didn't get a hell of a lot of help from his receivers either. 

Common theme that it seems has been bugging me for several years now, but this offense really needs an indentity quite badly. Are we a running team? A passing team? who is our go to man at receiver? when we need a big play to keep a drive going who do we turn to? These are questions that need answered I think and we need to get something built around it. 

I'm sure no one wants to hear it but if Buck Pierce played last night... we probably win.

doubtful. You're forgetting how poorly Pierce has played this year. Goltz was by no means good enough, but PIerce has wasted better defensive efforts against worse teams this year. 

I think people are truthfully making more out of this loss than they should simply because it's #5. There were some positives out there without question and it wasn't that far off being a better performance. Burke wasn't totally off his rocker when he didn't come out and slam the team. He probably should have been more upset with the 2nd half offensive performance than he was, but he did have some points and I am glad to see that he is willing to be patient with a young qb. Defense had a nice bounce back after a few tough outings, not perfect, but good enough to win games in this league with some support from the other side of the ball. 

Defence played better, but not good enough to get the win.

Offence stayed on the field longer, but couldn't put anything together for the whole second half.

Goltz played well in the beginning, then fell apart by the half.  Should have been pulled late 3rd and replaced for a couple of series to calm down IMHO.  (Hall not Buck)

We forced a turnover (Lulay fumble) and had one given to us (Dropped Punt) and turned both into points or else this one wouldn't have even been close.

BC made a lot of mistakes including a 3 yard punt with a 10 yard penalty that kept us in the game until the very end.

Simpson was running well, even know the O line wasn't giving him many holes to run through, but we went away from him in the second half.

Horrible play calling.  3rd and 2 handoff 5 yards deep in the backfield?  Come on.  

OC gave Goltz a lot of easy passes to complete (5 yarders) to pad his stats, but never stretched the defence so BC didn't have to cover the whole field.

When BC really needed a TD, they went middle deep and beat Cauchy.  

1-5 two years in a row, yet folks don't want to make changes?

1-5 two years in a row, yet folks don't want to make changes?

this is where you are incorrect. People want changes, just not the wholesale changes some people seem to be screaming for. I think the defensive coaches on this team have shown that they can make adjustments to fix problem areas... now why can't the offense do that? At this point the offense is just so dead that it sucks the life out of everything the team tries to do. We sat here watching the game and as soon as the Bombers gave up the safety to go down by 2 points we immediately said "game over, no way they can come back" That's gotta be murder on the rest of the team knowing how useless the offense is.