Lions @ Argos

Do you mean we had his rights first, or that we considered trading for him?

There was a deal in the works between Toronto and Winnipeg for Collaros this year (around the time we played them at home) and probably would've happened had Ray not been seriously injured. If he was only nicked, Collaros could very well have been a Bomber.

Worth considering: why did Harris go in for Ray against Winnipeg? They were protecting their asset in Collaros.

We don't even have our "Yeah but every other team would be screwed too if their starter went down" security blanket anymore.  When we're stripped of our dignity and then even stripped of the lies we tell ourselves to maintain that dignity what do we have left? 

I believe you're missing my point. Dickenson, Huf and Millanovich are former QB's who have played the game and can provide insight that only a former CFL QB could provide. Sure Crowton has been a QB coach in the NFL but has never played the position and can only provide input from a coaches perspective, not a former QB.

And yes, a solid oline helps as well.

I'm not missing your point, I understand it and agree that those factors help.  I'm just saying it's not the only difference, or even the biggest difference.  Collaros has had better football training than Goltz for his entire life, not just his CFL career.

And Crowton is a former QB, just not at the pro level.

all I know is after watching that game, thank goodness that we're not the only team that makes other team's young bucks look good.  Man did the BC defence look like crap.  I now have an extremely faint hope for Monday.  Not that we'll win, but that it won't be a total annihilation and complete embarrassment.

There was a deal in the works between Toronto and Winnipeg for Collaros this year (around the time we played them at home) and probably would've happened had Ray not been seriously injured. If he was only nicked, Collaros could very well have been a Bomber.

Worth considering: why did Harris go in for Ray against Winnipeg? They were protecting their asset in Collaros.

There was no subterfuge in having Harris in the game. he's a different type than Collaros (pocket passer like Ray) and has a different package.

Harris and Collaros were co #2 QBs. Harris is a top prospect as well and was ahead of Collaros on the DC all last season (and looked very good against Hamilton when they were fighting for their lives against him).

Collaros was close to being a Bomber at one point.

Still could be.

the price went up though.

and if Barker wasn't willing to take the useless big contracts and spare part players that were offered then, i don't know if Mack would be willing to meet Collaros' new valuation.

There was no subterfuge in having Harris in the game. he's a different type than Collaros (pocket passer like Ray) and has a different package.

Harris and Collaros were co #2 QBs. Harris is a top prospect as well and was ahead of Collaros on the DC all last season (and looked very good against Hamilton when they were fighting for their lives against him).

Collaros was a lot better than Harris in that Hamilton game IIRC.

Collaros was a lot better than Harris in that Hamilton game IIRC.

i liked Harris better at that point.

he doesn't have the weird baseball-windup that Collaros has (which caused a fumble last night). also, being a traditional pocket-passer may fit us better since that's what our #1 is... makes for an easier transition.

but it's hard to argue either Collaros' obvious success last night or the collective QB wisdom of Milanovich/Brady/Maas in making their choice.

You're really going in a whole other direction with the scouting report.

I agree that a solid oline would go a long way... but Gary Crowton was a former QB; he played QB at Snow College in Utah 1976-77, and again at Colorado State in 78. Further, he has coached 7 QB's that went on to be selected in the NFL draft. So... there's that.

OC's don't have time during games to talk to their qbs exclusively. Too many things going on which is why they need a qb coach.

OC's don't have time during games to talk to their qbs exclusively. Too many things going on which is why they need a qb coach.

I was responding to someone who claimed Huf (HC), Dickenson (OC), and Millanovich (another HC) were better equipped than Crowton to mentor their QB's because they were former QB's. Do they not have a lot going on as well?

I disagree.  OC's talk to their QB's all the time.  Who do you think they're on the phone with?

No, they don't. A position coach will spend every minute of the game with his guys when they are on the sidelines if need be. A coordinator is planning the next series, talking to the coaches upstairs, calling plays, speaking to the HC. No way he can spend the time needed with a qb like a position coach can. Same in meetings & practices. The position coach, coaches. The coordinator coordinates.

Masterful game planning once again by the Argos making the Red Zone offside to BC and the O Plan was executed very well by Collaros. The young QB scrambled effectively and made a molehill out of a Bighill all night long.

You mean they didn't call for Collaros to bomb the 2nd pass in the game and they actually used a backup rb more then 4 times in the first half!   

As someone else said they gave him high percentage throws and allowed the receivers to make plays.... i wish we could do that.  It's almost like when they did that with jade he would turn it up the field and would maybe get some good yac....