Only 22,500 tickets sold for home opener

Honestly, it isn't surprising.  Past poor performances would eventually come to bite us in the rear in terms of attendance.

Put a quality product on the field, and the fans will support it.  Last season pushed a lot of fans to their breaking points.  

AGREED.  I'm one of them.  nothing to do with start time and all to do with how terrible we were last year and the year before.

The reason for the 7:30 start (as far as I know) is to provide a buffer between rush hour traffic and game traffic.  Im not sure I buy "game ends late" as a *huge* reason.  While Im sure it might keep a few people away, its Thursday night.  Its okay to be a bit tired on Friday.

Another angle to the story might have been "over 22,000 tickets already sold for Bombers home opener with only 7 days left to secure your seats".  Winnipeg is notorious as a walk up city.  Give it time.

I have a sense that the IGF issues are pushing attendance down but Im not ready to say that yet.  I went to two (or was it three?) games last season including the home opener which so many Kives' declared a disaster and I had ZERO issues getting in and out. 

Time will tell.

Also, to the person who said the Bombers budgeted for a loss, Miller said season tickets were where they budgeted, not game day attendance. 

I just think it's super sh!tty that we need a buffer between rush hour traffic and game traffic.  Hate to say the obvious thing, but building it right includes building transportation routes right.  There were public outcrys to consider transportation... the bumbling Selingers just flat out ignored them.

I think if traffic had been how it was mid-season right from the start, no one would say anything.  You also had an issue that was very hard-driven by the media.  I think the big brains involved never drove in that area and assumed having lots of busses would be the end all be all of the problem.  Once they realised how bad traffic was, they took steps to improve it and they did improve it.

I do agree though.  I will admit that when IGF was announced, I was on the other side of the traffic debate thinking it would be managable.  It was "worse" than I expected.  But I think a lot of the loudest complaining came from people who lived closer to CIS.  Because when someone says they have to wait in traffic for an hour to get there, I say "yeah, so did I when it was CIS, so what".  Rapid Transit will help.  Converting some of those side streets (like Markham and Thatcher) might help too, though Im not sure how they are utilized on game day other then seeing police blockades.

With transit & park & ride traffic is no longer an issue. I park my car, get on a bus & 20 mins later I'm let off in front of the stadium. And buses are waiting to take me back after the game. Nothing wrong with that. People are tired of watching a losing team. That's why the attendance is not where it should be.

If I lived in Manitoba within an hour drive of Winnipeg I'd have season tickets. It wouldn't even be a question.

I have season tickets and I don't even live in Manitoba anymore!  And, for the record, I lived in Stonewall so it was a good hour home afterwards, and the people I sold them to live in Stonewall as well.  

If I lived in Manitoba within an hour drive of Winnipeg I'd have season tickets. It wouldn't even be a question.

I have season tickets and I don't even live in Manitoba anymore!  And, for the record, I lived in Stonewall so it was a good hour home afterwards, and the people I sold them to live in Stonewall as well.  

Pfff...Stonewall...what a bunch of weirdo's over there.

:D

Pfff...Stonewall...what a bunch of weirdo's over there.

:D

Hey now careful!  Some of us still live live in and around Stonewall :)

Wish I was going but overall, I think the Thursday game hurts them.  Overall I think people prefer Fri-Sat.  I know I much prefer those days.  For casual fans I think it winds up just being easier to stay in on Thursday night, watch the game and be able to stick in your normal routine of your work week a little better.  

Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that Pre-season isn't over yet? I don't know though. I'm pretty positive there will be a pretty good crowd there in a week though. 

Anyone mentioning traffic issues? seriously? what do you do to  get to work in the morning or go home? rush hour traffic is 10 x worse than IGF traffic.

The 10 problems are:

1.   Winnipeggers are CHEAP.  Don't want to pay for tickets.

2.   Winnipeggers = Bangwagoneers - they only like supporting winning teams.

3.   Winnipeggers are CHEAP.  Beer is cheaper at home

4.   Thursday game prior to a 4 day long weekend.

5.   Mike Buble - Parents gotta pick up the daughters at 10 pm.

6.   Winnipeggers are CHEAP.   Winnipeggers don't want to pay the $2.55 bus fare to get to and from the stadium.

7.   Winnipeggers like making excuses (every reason not to go - Thursdays - weeknight, Fridays - cabin, Saturdays - socials, Sunday - NFL, etc)

8.   Dauphin Countryfest

9.   Cabin Country

10. Winnipeggers are CHEAP.

I think the whole Winnipegers are cheap thing is just an excuse used by Winnipegers to complain.

The Jets have the second highest ticket prices in the NHL and they still sell out.

I think the whole Winnipegers are cheap thing is just an excuse used by Winnipegers to complain.

The Jets have the second highest ticket prices in the NHL and they still sell out.

But for how long if they don't make the playoffs? That team is still in the honeymoon phase. 

But for how long if they don't make the playoffs? That team is still in the honeymoon phase. 

It will always be sold out.  There is an 8000 person waiting list for season tickets.  The MTS Centre is sold out into eternity.

It will always be sold out.  There is an 8000 person waiting list for season tickets.  The MTS Centre is sold out into eternity.

The real test will be ~10 years after the Jets have come back, especially if the team continues to be in the bottom half of the NHL.  This is the time frame when Minnesota stopped selling out when they got their franchise back.

8,000 people on a waiting list, paying a couple of hundred dollars a year is different then committing to pay full price for season tickets when their turn comes up.

Did they not require people to commit for 5 years when the Jets came back? Once that 5 years is up and if the team still hasn't taken strides come talk to me. 

Did they not require people to commit for 5 years when the Jets came back? Once that 5 years is up and if the team still hasn't taken strides come talk to me. 

96% of the first wave of commitments that came due signed up for another term. Half of those people re-upped for six more years instead of the mandatory three.

I think the team will be fine.

96% of the first wave of commitments that came due signed up for another term. Half of those people re-upped for six more years instead of the mandatory three.

easy to say that now, let's see how it looks if they stagnate as a team that doesn't make the playoffs. Look I get it, Winnipeg is excited about having the Jets back, but if the team doesn't make strides the Winnipegger in the fans will take over and they'll stop the blind support. 

Lawless makes me laugh. We should record this date and then wait for his first article tearing the regime he loves so much apart.

He changes his strong opinions weekly, just look at the Kane column this week.

There should be a separate forum for whining about lawless. He does not change his opinion weekly. When he does change his opinion like, oh I don't know...all of us, he readily admits it. There are thing you can critique lawless about but pointless whining is still pointless whining. Be happy we have him. Could be a lot worse.

It will always be sold out. There is an 8000 person waiting list for season tickets. The MTS Centre is sold out into eternity.

easy to say that now, let's see how it looks if they stagnate as a team that doesn't make the playoffs. Look I get it, Winnipeg is excited about having the Jets back, but if the team doesn't make strides the Winnipegger in the fans will take over and they'll stop the blind support.

Oh sure they might be fine for the next six years. Maybe even ten. Hell they will be done for 15 years. But mark my words. At some point in the next 100 years they will have trouble selling tickets. Remember you heard it here first.

The Jets will have no issues selling out the MTS Centre for a very long time.................... I still don't understand why they need $12 million annually from the Government. 

As for the Bombers, winning will help the team average around 30,000, but imo Investors Group Field was built with too many seats. 30,500 should have been the maximum.

Add in the location and transportation issues, living in the "convenience era", escalating costs for fans and there's a bunch of reasons why more people are not coming out.

It will always be sold out. There is an 8000 person waiting list for season tickets. The MTS Centre is sold out into eternity.

Oh sure they might be fine for the next six years. Maybe even ten. Hell they will be done for 15 years. But mark my words. At some point in the next 100 years they will have trouble selling tickets. Remember you heard it here first.

So you deny that there is a honey moon period? Get real here. If the Jets don't start making the playoffs the fans will stop spending money. All depends on how the team performs. The first years were always going to be an easy sell. Lots of excitement about the team being back.