CJOB Coaches Show

O'Shea speaking very highly of Patrick Neufeld. Says he was the most physical OL vs Calgary. Sounds like he's a lock to start. O'Shea saying the trade to get Neufeld looks very good now.

The next 3 practices will be used to evaluate who wins the backup QB job. Will focus on decision making.

The next 3 practices will be used to evaluate who wins the backup QB job. Will focus on decision making.

IE. O'Shea was not happy with Halls int at the end. I finally got around to watching the game and yikes that was a poor decision to make. Eat the sack there and they might win the game. 

Hmmmm.....Goossen looked pretty good as well, I thought. Does this mean that we are looking at Morley at center, Greaves at left guard, Goossen at right guard and Neufeld at right tackle? Thar would mean a dogfight at left tackle for an import and a possible answer for our ratio problems.

Hmmmm.....Goossen looked pretty good as well, I thought. Does this mean that we are looking at Morley at center, Greaves at left guard, Goossen at right guard and Neufeld at right tackle? Thar would mean a dogfight at left tackle for an import and a possible answer for our ratio problems.

Pretty sure Goossen will start the season as 6th OL.

I asked O'Shea about Jesse Briggs. O'Shea says he should be back at practice next week and is looking forward to him contributing on special teams and eventually as a starter. Says Briggs now has an opportunity with Newman out for the season.

I also asked O'Shea about the run defense. Says he's not concerned at all.

Thanks for asking the questions the media are afraid to ask.    

My concern with the D at this point is how shoddy the tackling has been. They gave up a lot of extra yards simply by missing tackles. 

This and the run defence are my concerns.

IE. O'Shea was not happy with Halls int at the end. I finally got around to watching the game and yikes that was a poor decision to make. Eat the sack there and they might win the game. 

QFT. Stating the obvious but an extra three points would have been huge.

I'm glad that you are finally seeing how mediocre Hall truly is. So please no more comparisons to Ricky Ray and dropping passes into the receivers hands. Halls noodle arm and stone legs simply won't cut it.

I'm glad that you are finally seeing how mediocre Hall truly is. So please no more comparisons to Ricky Ray and dropping passes into the receivers hands. Halls noodle arm and stone legs simply won't cut it.

Brandon, we are free to say what we want. 

that's an interesting take on what I said.... quite frankly I think Hall looked OK until that int. I didn't see a whole lot from Brohm that would put him ahead at this point other than the fact that the int was just a brain fart and Brohm didn't make any of those this game so to me Hall is still the #2 guy but I think O'Shea is not happy with losing that game and rightly so, they gave the game away with dropped passes and sloppy tackling and other assorted mistakes. 

Goossen and Morely seemed way more physical than Neufeld...

Riiiiight, cuz you were oh so much closer to the action then O'Shea was...

Why do people keep thinking our coaches are lying to us? Especially on a dumb **** situation like this??

It's just an opinion.

That being said, I'm sure Floyd is probably not watching the same amount of game film as the coaches, so it'd probably be wise of him to defer to the experts who break down tape rather than rely on his opinion from slow motion replays.

that's an interesting take on what I said.... quite frankly I think Hall looked OK until that int. I didn't see a whole lot from Brohm that would put him ahead at this point other than the fact that the int was just a brain fart and Brohm didn't make any of those this game so to me Hall is still the #2 guy but I think O'Shea is not happy with losing that game and rightly so, they gave the game away with dropped passes and sloppy tackling and other assorted mistakes. 

I've found that the only time Hall throws INT's are when he tries to throw as he is being hit.

He threw a few like that last year and again in Calgary...  Looks to me like the "noodle arm" that gets INT's thrown only comes out when he tries to throw when he should be eating a sack (or when he should've had more time to throw)

I've found that the only time Hall throws INT's are when he tries to throw as he is being hit.

He threw a few like that last year and again in Calgary...  Looks to me like the "noodle arm" that gets INT's thrown only comes out when he tries to throw when he should be eating a sack (or when he should've had more time to throw)

That's a common theme for a QB, this being hit, and being under pressure and stuff.  If what you're trying to do is defend Hall because his INT's are when he's under pressure, I don't buy it.  QB's are always under some degree of pressure... it's the decision making under pressure that needs evaluating.  Hall's quick release and decision making made him stand out amongst last year's QB's.

This year, that's not enough.  It's clear our crop of QB's has improved, and he's going to need to show more to win a job. 

As much as many on this board are clamoring for Hall as a backup QB because he showed capable last year... I think he's in tough.  Because of poor pre-season performance (and possibly because of ties to the old regime), Hall's on the bubble.  Brohm is a McManus guy, and Marve is a new regime find, and both have outplayed him to date. 

That's a common theme for a QB, this being hit, and being under pressure and stuff.  If what you're trying to do is defend Hall because his INT's are when he's under pressure, I don't buy it.  QB's are always under some degree of pressure... it's the decision making under pressure that needs evaluating.  Hall's quick release and decision making made him stand out amongst last year's QB's.

This year, that's not enough.  It's clear our crop of QB's has improved, and he's going to need to show more to win a job. 

As much as many on this board are clamoring for Hall as a backup QB because he showed capable last year... I think he's in tough.  Because of poor pre-season performance (and possibly because of ties to the old regime), Hall's on the bubble.  Brohm is a McManus guy, and Marve is a new regime find, and both have outplayed him to date. 

Not just under pressure... he doesn't throw INT's when simply "under pressure"

He throws INT's when he is actively being tackled in the process of throwing the ball - He needs to do a better job of realizing he doesn't actually have enough time to finish his throwing motion before contact occurs, but his decision making otherwise is superb (he basically doesn't throw INT's where physical contact hasn't affected his throwing motion)

That interception was a tough one. But it's too easy to say he shouldn't have thrown it.

The play was called, The man, men were open, the blitz was on, Hall knew it, he had maybe 2 seconds to react because of the missed block, and he was already in the throwing motion.

Not a good result, but the choice would have been to bail when he saw the blitz was coming. That's not a good choice to make either. We don't want our QBs to turtle too fast. They can't assume someone will botch their block. A matter of trust. 

If Peterson gets half a block, it's aTD.

That interception was a tough one. But it's too easy to say he shouldn't have thrown it.

The play was called, The man, men were open, the blitz was on, Hall knew it, he had maybe 2 seconds to react because of the missed block, and he was already in the throwing motion.

Not a good result, but the choice would have been to bail when he saw the blitz was coming. That's not a good choice to make either. We don't want our QBs to turtle too fast. They can't assume someone will botch their block. A matter of trust. 

Or he could read the blitz pre-snap when 6 guys are lined up full bore on the line of scrimmage and move his first read onto a route where he has a chance to get the ball out before he's snowed under.  He can pretty safely assume on a blitz like that when he has fewer blockers than blitzers that there will be pressure coming from an outside gap, unless one of his linemen miraculously block 2 guys.  The OL handled that blitz correctly, the QB didn't.

except that they haven't outplayed him....

Goossen and Morely seemed way more physical than Neufeld...

Riiiiight, cuz you were oh so much closer to the action then O'Shea was...

Why do people keep thinking our coaches are lying to us? Especially on a dumb **** situation like this??

It's just an opinion.

That being said, I'm sure Floyd is probably not watching the same amount of game film as the coaches, so it'd probably be wise of him to defer to the experts who break down tape rather than rely on his opinion from slow motion replays.

If we adhered to the truthfulness of that last sentence then things would be a lot quieter around here.  

Or he could read the blitz pre-snap when 6 guys are lined up full bore on the line of scrimmage and move his first read onto a route where he has a chance to get the ball out before he's snowed under.  He can pretty safely assume on a blitz like that when he has fewer blockers than blitzers that there will be pressure coming from an outside gap, unless one of his linemen miraculously block 2 guys.  The OL handled that blitz correctly, the QB didn't.

Don't know what was called…don't know what could have been called that would have made a difference. 

It's a split second decision and the play was there.

Nobody can say another call would have resulted in a different result.

Shoulda, coulda. situation.