CFL cuts

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced a series of transactions this morning.

The following players have been released:

INT OL Justin Anderson
INT WR Kelvin Bolden
INT WR Brandon Collins
INT DB Damien Jackson
NAT DB Harold Mutobola
INT DB Michael Ricks
NAT WR Jahmeek Taylor

The following players have been added to the six-game injured list:

INT OL Marc Dile
INT RB Lindsey Lamar

The following players have been added to the suspended list:

NAT K/P Brett Lauther

I'm kind of surprised Gill was cut out of Toronto, from what I read they were raving about the guy all through camp. He had decent hands and speed when he played against the Bombers... I also think Messam would be a welcomed addition as long as he lowers his price tag 

I would love to see messam in blue and gold

Absolutely. If he has any kind of game left and can play ST he'd be an upgrade over Volny.

With Brooks out I think Volny is safe. Adding Messam will certainly save us using a DI for a backup import RB.

Messam would make it much easier to keep Maher on the roster.

Go figure out where are DI's gonna be used.

DL - Thomas will likely be the 7th NAT - but with only DE Richardson as the other DL, DT Anderson will be a DI. That makes 6 active DLs on roster... Vega, Turner, Thomas, Peach with Anderson and Richarson as backups. 

LB - We need a backup MLB on active roster, I don't think Stephan can cut it. Wild is an INT so he will definitely be a DI. He will be essentialy backing up MLB and WIL.

KR - Woods I'm assuming, since he also plays on offense.

DB - I assume Randle, Washington, Leggett and Suber are the INT starters. Hard to think, either Markett, Suber or B.Johnson will not be in gameday lineup.

I like Maher but with our current injuries, I'm not liking his chances to be on the active lineup. I hope they can still keep him somehow. but PR'ing (imo) will not gonna keep him here. He as an additional mouth to fed.

... that unless we somehow trade for a starter/backup NAT DT or an starter NAT OL (RG or C) or a backup NAT LB.

But, outside his passport, does Messam bring more to the table than any of our current running backs? 

Change of pace to a guy like Cotton?  Absolutely.  Would he be the primary back in our offensive?  Not likely. 

I agree that he wouldn't be the primary back, but what he brings is 6'3"  245 lbs  with experience carrying the ball.  Cotton is 5'9"  Volny is 5'10"   I wouldn't break the bank for Messam, but if they can make the numbers work, he's worth a look.

But, outside his passport, does Messam bring more to the table than any of our current running backs? 

Change of pace to a guy like Cotton?  Absolutely.  Would he be the primary back in our offensive?  Not likely. 

I agree that he wouldn't be the primary back, but what he brings is 6'3"  245 lbs  with experience carrying the ball.  Cotton is 5'9"  Volny is 5'10"   I wouldn't break the bank for Messam, but if they can make the numbers work, he's worth a look.

That's the rub though .. you're probably going to have to pay a premium to bring Messam in .. (at least when compared to the guys currently on our roster - NI vet RB vs. Ford .. Grigsby .. Cotton) .. so the question then becomes .. is a NI battering ram worth the cost when.. realistically .. he's only going to play a handful of snaps .. or conversely .. because you shelled out money to acquire the "name" non-import .. are you going to want him to see the field more often than not .. does the drop off in production justify the price of admission?

I'm not suggesting Messam would be ineffective or that it's not worth kicking the tires .. just tossing out things that go through my mind when I look at our roster and our offense.

there you go...

Bombers cut Maher.

I'm guessing Newman being injured for the rest of the year basically guaranteed Maher wasn't going to make the team - we simply don't have space for an Int kicker now

If the Bombers have any kicking struggles at all this year, Maher will be back.  Until all the NI pieces fall into place he will have some diaper changing reps.

All the injuries should not have an impact on Maher; the extra DI still can't come in for a NI.

Sign Messam and then we don't have to use a DI spot on a backup RB, bippetyboppityboo, room for Maher is created.

With the injuries and low numbers of NI Olinemen, this roster will definitely evolve over the next 2 months.

Robert Gill and Kiante Tripp are both blows to the Argos. Both have been hurt.

Not sure when/how Tripp got hurt, but he didn't play against you guys and he was supposed to be one of the few pieces on the DLine that we knew we'd have for this season. Must be pretty bad for us to cut him.

Gill and his speed would've been fun, but he got hurt in the exhibition game when Dunn got flagged for hitting him dirty. I hate cutting promising receivers who get hurt in camp... (see Edwards, Terrence, 2005)

Wondering how bad either of these guys' injuries are... maybe they'll stick around town and rehab a bit...

As for Messam, I imagine that either his knee, his contract or both got him cut. If his knee is sound and he offers a hometown discount, it would be interesting to see a NI (er... National)1-2 punch of Coombs and Messam.