GDT: Winnipeg @ Calgary

Rich

Yeah just not enough depth to do that.

But our fifth receiver spot is iffy as it is.

If I'm picking our receivers right now, I'm going Moore, Denmark, Kohlert, Watson and ... I don't even know after that. Urrutia maybe? He had a few balls knocked out of his hands last night but I also don't really think they had him doing things that put him in a position to succeed. Jaymar Johnson? Great, but he's a slot not a wideout. Bert Reed wasn't bad either. I certainly wouldn't want Kemp or Barnes.

I wouldn't want Urrutia either...he dropped quite a few in TC...I also didn't like his lack of aggression in the game. I think we can do better. Jaymar Johnson? Jury's still out, one game with drops and one pretty good game, I want someone who is going to show up every game.

Urrutia didn't really get a good shot in Calgary IMO.  Hall underthrew pretty much everything at him.  I liked his work vs Toronto, but we haven't seen him on a deep route in either game, which is kind of odd.

I'd think one of Urrutia or Kelly would be starting game 1, hopefully Urrutia.  Would be nice to give Willy at least one big target, otherwise Cory Watson is our only big body receiver.

I do like Jaymar Johnson though, when he hits the break in his routes he gets a ton of separation, he's very quick, hopefully the drops vs Toronto were an anomaly.

Bert Reed looked to have some attitude and hands, too bad we only saw him for about 5 minutes.  I would think Reed and Johnson are pretty good PR bets, and everyone else among the imports outside of them are outright cuts, Barnes, Kemp, Tarver, maybe Kelly if they take Urrutia over him.

This is the first year that I can remember that we haven't had an import receiver really stand up and take charge in training camp... JFG is probably the closest...  I'm pretty surprised given our expanded scouting staff.

What about last year?  Unless you really like Isaac Anderson.

Well, I did like Anderson and Miles... althought I'm not sure if Miles was around that much at TC?

Urrutia didn't really get a good shot in Calgary IMO.  Hall underthrew pretty much everything at him.  I liked his work vs Toronto, but we haven't seen him on a deep route in either game, which is kind of odd.

I'd think one of Urrutia or Kelly would be starting game 1, hopefully Urrutia.  Would be nice to give Willy at least one big target, otherwise Cory Watson is our only big body receiver.

I do like Jaymar Johnson though, when he hits the break in his routes he gets a ton of separation, he's very quick, hopefully the drops vs Toronto were an anomaly.

Bert Reed looked to have some attitude and hands, too bad we only saw him for about 5 minutes.  I would think Reed and Johnson are pretty good PR bets, and everyone else among the imports outside of them are outright cuts, Barnes, Kemp, Tarver, maybe Kelly if they take Urrutia over him.

I agree re: Urrutia. Bringing him back to the ball is not going to be his strength. Slants and deep routes.

Jaymar Johnson was a lot better against Calgary. He also turns 30 in less than a month, which I'm not a big fan of.

Bert Reed is honestly the guy I liked the most. But you're right in the sense that we need a big body. He is not that.

I think all things considered, I'd stick with Urrutia.

Aaron Kelly gets no respect on this forum.  He catches everything that's thrown his way and I don't think any new receiver played well enough to take his job away.  They all had flashes but consistency was lacking.  Very pleased with the national prospects and the skill Carter and Feoli-Gudino showed in limited action, didn't notice Taylor Renaud as much.

Aaron Kelly gets no respect on this forum.  He catches everything that's thrown his way and I don't think any new receiver played well enough to take his job away.  They all had flashes but consistency was lacking.  Very pleased with the national prospects and the skill Carter and Feoli-Gudino showed in limited action, didn't notice Taylor Renaud as much.

He dropped a gimme yesterday.

In fact yesterday was a typical Aaron Kelly game. One great play that sticks in the minds of fans and then everyone forgets how he was invisible the rest of the game (aside from a drop)

JayMar Johnson looked really good for a guy who hasn't played much football in the last couple of years, and even when he was in the NFL he was primarily a special teams player. Aside from that, I haven't really been impressed with any of the new import receivers. We actually may end up missing Wallace Miles more than anyone would've predicted. Re-signing Chris Matthews when he shakes free from Seattle would probably be perfect right about now but I suppose that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

In fact yesterday was a typical Aaron Kelly game. One great play that sticks in the minds of fans and then everyone forgets how he was invisible the rest of the game (aside from a drop)

Sorry, I did miss that play.

Aaron Kelly gets no respect on this forum. He catches everything that's thrown his way and I don't think any new receiver played well enough to take his job away. They all had flashes but consistency was lacking. Very pleased with the national prospects and the skill Carter and Feoli-Gudino showed in limited action, didn't notice Taylor Renaud as much.

I dunno Mike, he and brohm had some good.chemistry going.. 4 or 5 completions i thought? I thought kelly looked pretty.good behind denmark and jaymar..