The TV Thread

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It qualifies for federal disaster funding.

The best thing is seeing all the Star Trek fans with their irrational hatred of Discovery (because they wanted a post-nemesis series) blowing smoke up Orville, saying how its going to be "real Star Trek"...and now its aired and is terrible, they are still defending it.  Its awful.  if Orville actually was Star Trek, if the only difference was it was on CBS and called Star Trek: Orville, it would be the death knell for the franchise.

Expectations are lower because it's basically the worst of Family Guy in Space.  But my goodness, it was bad. 

Cheap looking sets.  Cheap costumes (the one officer there, the "Klingon" was good).  Poor CGI.  I'd give the CGI a break because its TV but it looks comparable with Enterprise's worst CGI.  But Discovery looks way better so if you're going to claim to be "Star Trek", you have to compete effects-wise.

Seth has a very, very narrow window for actual humor.  His deadpan sarcasm is funny.  Sometimes his commentary on contemporary things can be funny.  And I thought the sarcasm was the best parts. 

When the doctor said "Im your doctor, if your balls are not up to par, Ill know it", I laughed.  When Seth remarked about an "anti-Banana gun" I laughed.  Everything else, awful awful stuff. 

Much of the humor is based on either making fun of Star Trek (not really in a irreverent way) or doing something that would be considered stupid on Star Trek.  Like, can I have soda on the bridge, can I wear shorts on the bridge.  In a way, trying to say "Star Trek takes itself so seriously, so we wont".  And there is maybe a market for that.  But then lets not pretend its Star Trek.  it isnt. 

Orville was BAD.  As "Star Trek", it was life-altering bad.  As a non-related comedy, it was bad.  There was literally nothing good about it other then the ship looked good and I liked the security officer.

20 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Apparently the Inhumans is supposed to be garbage as well.

I missed the Orville.  Didn't realize it had already started.  I had hopes that it would be cool yet funny.  Apparently it is neither.

It really is neither.  Im not sure it can be salvaged either.  The biggest issue is probably Seth MacFarlane as the lead.  He cant act.  So you could change everything else about the show but unless you change the lead, its still terrible.

Seth led us to believe it was serious sci fi drama in the vein of Star Trek but with humor.  It isnt.  Its the worst episode of Family Guy, stretched out to an hour with a premise it neither respects nor honors.

I missed the first 10 mins of the Orville but don't think I missed much. That was an awful show. A show trying to take it self semi-serious and inserts dry lame humor. I don't think I had any real expectations of the show but I really don't see this show going anywhere.  At this point I would have taken something more like Galaxy Quest then this... ugh

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I missed the first 10 mins of the Orville but don't think I missed much. That was an awful show. A show trying to take it self semi-serious and inserts dry lame humor. I don't think I had any real expectations of the show but I really don't see this show going anywhere.  At this point I would have taken something more like Galaxy Quest then this... ugh

You missed an ejaculation joke. 

18 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I missed the first 10 mins of the Orville but don't think I missed much.

You missed what half the show was about in the first minute.

I'll give it another shot. It was the pilot and that is usually different from the series(see Seinfeld) just like the first season is different from all other seasons(ST:TNG).

We will get at least 3 eps before its cancelled i'm guessing.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Seth is great and, generally, his humour appeals to me. Have always enjoyed Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, and all the movies... Million Ways To Die was funny for sure.... 

Having said this, I haven't seen Orville yet and am not sure it's really for me. I would never watch Star Trek in a million years.... 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Seth is great and, generally, his humour appeals to me. Have always enjoyed Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, and all the movies... Million Ways To Die was funny for sure.... 

Having said this, I haven't seen Orville yet and am not sure it's really for me. I would never watch Star Trek in a million years.... 

agree with this, I enjoy most of Mcfarlane's work, and while I never really cared for Star Trek, the whole alien encounters throughout the galaxy has a lot of potential like on shows such as Futurama and more recently Rick and Morty. For that reason alone I thought Mcfarlane would have a great and wide range to deploy his humor but this pilot was just all kinds of bad. I get it was the first episode so i might give it one more try but they didn't sell the show very well with that opener

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

If you like Seth's humor you might like it. I used to watch Family Guy and American Dad religiously.  But I kind of grew weary of it.  The problem with Orville is, Seth cant hide behind animation and funny voices.  And the flashback gag from Family Guy cant be used either.  So Orville seems overly long and pretty boring.  The few jokes that work, that are more traditionally Seth style ARE funny.  But too few and far between.

There are characters that werent utilized in the premiere that might make it funnier.  They have an Android that looks like its from a 60's TV show but barely used him.  And they have a Norm Macdonald voiced alien blob that appeared once. 

But alot of the humor is meant to come from the setting.  So if you arent a Trek fan or dont know Trek, you might not enjoy it.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, space stuff is not for me.....never seen one second of Star Trek or Star Wars........never will. Sooooo.......that's probably going to be a hard no from this guy on Orville for that alone...

Yeah don't watch it, you'd hate it. 

I honestly wasn't disappointed in the pilot, but that's mostly because I expected it to be a steaming pile of crap based on the trailer so I guess I got what I expected? I will give it a few more episodes just because I do like Seth McFarlane in general. 

So I finally saw a commercial for this earlier today, it wasn't this exact commercial but I remember someone mentioning this in the past.

I gotta say it has the feel of a malcolm in the middle meets everyone hates chris vibe to it,  neither of which I was a big fan of. But I do like TBBT so I'll probably give it a try on the 25th.  After 10 years tho of seeing Jim Parsons and Laurie Metcalf doing all the idioms of their respective characters, I have a feeling  it will be hard to watch other actors/actresses doing mimicry 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

After 10 years tho of seeing Jim Parsons and Laurie Metcalf doing all the idioms of their respective characters, I have a feeling  it will be hard to watch other actors/actresses doing mimicry 

That's exactly why it was a stupid idea to even make this show. You're going to take a character that honestly probably only became popular because of the actors ability to play it and try and pull the same thing off with a kid? Not gonna happen.