The TV Thread

28 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Chhhyeah!  I'm a sucker for these shows.  Truly a golden era for TV...

Drama: Better Call Saul, House of Cards and Westworld were fantastic. Bob Odenkirk better take home some hardware.  

Comedy: big time pulling for Veep and Julia L-D for the wins; huge fan.

Reality: gotta go with Martha & Snoop, no?  

Variety talk: can't really go wrong. Sam Bee may be our most underrated export. Oliver is fantastic. Colbert... I wish he was back at his old show "these days" with Trump and all. 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Chhhyeah!  I'm a sucker for these shows.  Truly a golden era for TV...

Drama: Better Call Saul, House of Cards and Westworld were fantastic. Bob Odenkirk better take home some hardware.  

Comedy: big time pulling for Veep and Julia L-D for the wins; huge fan.

Reality: gotta go with Martha & Snoop, no?  

Variety talk: can't really go wrong. Sam Bee may be our most underrated export. Oliver is fantastic. Colbert... I wish he was back at his old show "these days" with Trump and all. 

wait Sam Bee is Canadian?! but then again not all of the members here show their location

yeah I know with talk shows these days, I kind of wonder if Letterman retiring was the best possible thing for him or the worst timing ever, well for his sake I would think probably for the best, I mean sure his material would have been golden (especially with the top tens)

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i don't like that they do 2017 awards before 2017 is done. Maybe its the fanboi in me but I think GoT is gonna kill it starting sunday

yeah about that this was from the article:

(Reminder: Orphan BlackGame of Thrones and Twin Peaks were NOT eligible this year, while last summer’s Orange Is the New BlackSeason 4 WAS.)

I don't get why Twin Peaks missed out though

Edited by iHeart

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

John Oliver is trash and so is Colbert.  Out of touch rich guys whose heads are so far up their own asses that they are looking out their own mouths.  Never seen a pair of more self-righteous douchebags in my life.

then you might not want to watch this year because Colbert is hosting

2 year wait on GoT and...

Spoiler

A whole lot of sweet F all to move the story along.   a 6 episode season 7, and 7 episode season 8 and they waste the first episode literally doing about as little as you can while the white walkers STILL aren't past the wall.  

Very disappointed by that premiere :(

Get your panties out of a bunch.  It wasn't even close to a 2 year wait, it was just over a year (June 26, 2016 was the last episode).

As far as the episode itself goes...

Spoiler

The premier episodes are almost always slow moving, so after 7 of them, you should expect that by now.  I'd like them to be faster too but I had no problems with the episode.

The white walker story line is the big payoff so that will be the slowest moving one.  They did advance it in multiple different scenes though (Bran finally making it to the Wall, The Hound looking into the flames, Jon sending Tormond to East Watch by the sea, Sam researching dragon glass). 

The entirety of House Frey gets wiped out in the 1st scene.  We see a Lannister/Greyjoy alliance building... to go against a Targareyn/Lannister/Greyjoy alliance.  We find out Jorrah Mormont is quarantined in the Citadel.  Tension between Jon & Sansa.   Dany finally arrives in Westeros and is now at her birth place which is exactly where Sam is about to tell Jon to go.  That's a fair bit of "sweet F all".

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎17 at 9:35 AM, bigg jay said:

Get your panties out of a bunch.  It wasn't even close to a 2 year wait, it was just over a year (June 26, 2016 was the last episode).

As far as the episode itself goes...

Hide contents

The premier episodes are almost always slow moving, so after 7 of them, you should expect that by now.  I'd like them to be faster too but I had no problems with the episode.

The white walker story line is the big payoff so that will be the slowest moving one.  They did advance it in multiple different scenes though (Bran finally making it to the Wall, The Hound looking into the flames, Jon sending Tormond to East Watch by the sea, Sam researching dragon glass). 

The entirety of House Frey gets wiped out in the 1st scene.  We see a Lannister/Greyjoy alliance building... to go against a Targareyn/Lannister/Greyjoy alliance.  We find out Jorrah Mormont is quarantined in the Citadel.  Tension between Jon & Sansa.   Dany finally arrives in Westeros and is now at her birth place which is exactly where Sam is about to tell Jon to go.  That's a fair bit of "sweet F all".

Well said. I thought it was a solid first episode. It didn't give a lot away but it still moved the story along and helped set a tone. That part with Mormont was pretty wild!

PS - the hidden content feature is awesome!

Anyway, another show I just started is The Son (premiered on AMC back in April and season 1 has already concluded). I've only finished the first episode but I am hooked. Really, really good if you're into western-type shows in the same vein as Hell On Wheels, IMO. Kinda reminds me a bit of Red Dead Redemption, too... Even though that's a video game.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎20 at 9:39 AM, bigg jay said:

The wife and I finished watching The Son a few weeks ago & thought it was pretty good.  I won't go into to it yet since you've only watched the 1st episode.  Hell on Wheels was one of our shows too, although I felt it kinda fell off in season 5. 

HOW kinda went off the rails (pardon the pun) a bit as the show wound down. I still loved the series, though, and it's too bad it ended as seemingly abruptly as it did.

I'm looking forward to picking up on The Son this weekend. The end of the premiere episode just blew me away.

On 13/07/2017 at 1:34 PM, Atomic said:

John Oliver is trash and so is Colbert.  Out of touch rich guys whose heads are so far up their own asses that they are looking out their own mouths.  Never seen a pair of more self-righteous douchebags in my life.

To be fair to Colbert.. Its just a gimmick.