The TV Thread

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That's exactly why it was a stupid idea to even make this show. You're going to take a character that honestly probably only became popular because of the actors ability to play it and try and pull the same thing off with a kid? Not gonna happen. 

I also have no interest in the whole multi-cam look of it.....hipster new-age "sitcom"...

I don't care that much about multi-camera versus single-camera, but if you're still putting laugh tracks in your show, it's going to be a really, really hard sell to get me to watch it. The only show I watch right now that still uses them is the Big Bang Theory. I tried watching Disjointed with Kathy Bates because the premise sounded interesting, but only lasted about three minutes because the fake laughter was so overused and the jokes were so forced. 

7 hours ago, nate007 said:

I don't care that much about multi-camera versus single-camera, but if you're still putting laugh tracks in your show, it's going to be a really, really hard sell to get me to watch it. The only show I watch right now that still uses them is the Big Bang Theory. I tried watching Disjointed with Kathy Bates because the premise sounded interesting, but only lasted about three minutes because the fake laughter was so overused and the jokes were so forced. 

Laugh tracks aren't the problem, over use in unfunny shows are the problem. 

So I watched the Orville.  I didn't think it was that bad.  It was pretty good for what it was.  There was a little too much silly potty humor in it for me, but I did laugh a few times at some of the other jokes.  The CGI wasn't the greatest but I liked it for what it was.  And I'm not a Seth McFarlane fan so.

Some controvery over an "embargo" by CBS concerning Star Trek reviews.  They have made no screeners available for critics.  They are holding screenings in New York and LA this coming Tuesday but the caveat is that no reviews are allowed to be posted until Sunday night after episode 1 airs.

Of course, the negative nancies are saying this is because it sucks and they know it sucks.  The company line is that there are twists, turns and spoilers that they do not want ruined.

I think there is something pretty damn important that happens in that first episode...

I watched e1 of south parks new season last night, i dont own one of these devices sadily.  Southpark has broken the 4th wall with humor and finally beat the simpsons to a punch line. Not sure if it was on purpose or not, but I wouldnt be surprised either way.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/south-park-premiere-triggered-everyones-amazon-devices-causing-mayhem/

7 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I survived Orville S01E02.

OMG a cliffhanger!

Due to football, I missed the middle 20 minutes or so, which might be why I liked it more than last week.   But its problems are all the same.  If it throws 20 joke at you, 2 work and the rest are lousy.  The tone is so uneven as to mute the attempts at drama.  Its still the Seth vanity project and his brand f humor doesnt work in a traditional comedy setting (and I use that term loosely here but without animations and absurdity to fall back on, hes just not funny).

The gags about Kermit the Frog and even Elvis undermine the setting.  In both cases, those could be jokes Seth had written down that were not specific to this project but he thought they were so funny, he shoe horned them in.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

Dont they have a "year" that runs to a certain point?  ie. Vincent and Stanton would be included next year.

58 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Due to football, I missed the middle 20 minutes or so, which might be why I liked it more than last week.   But its problems are all the same.  If it throws 20 joke at you, 2 work and the rest are lousy.  The tone is so uneven as to mute the attempts at drama.  Its still the Seth vanity project and his brand f humor doesnt work in a traditional comedy setting (and I use that term loosely here but without animations and absurdity to fall back on, hes just not funny).

The gags about Kermit the Frog and even Elvis undermine the setting.  In both cases, those could be jokes Seth had written down that were not specific to this project but he thought they were so funny, he shoe horned them in.

ya the shows not terrible but his jokes at times are just baaaaaaaad..

I'll give it another episode or two to see if it gets any better..

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

ya the shows not terrible but his jokes at times are just baaaaaaaad..

I'll give it another episode or two to see if it gets any better..

Seth clearly thinks highly of himself.  He will tell a joke and then has to stop and talk about it.  Really bad.  Beats the joke into the ground.

I am confused by their setting though.  Seth said all the right things about being a Star Trek homage and telling an optimistic view of the future etc.  But it really comes across like a modern (or ten year old) sitcom transplanted to a space ship, complete with words and gags that have no meaning unless you live right now (or recently). 

Really enjoyed the Emmy's last night. Nice to see some "broadcast" network shows pick up wins. SNL had a great season, and was rewarded. This Is Us, while probably over-hyped, is a quality show and was rewarded. Colbert did a solid job, as well. Very excited for the start of the 17/18 broadacst TV season!