The TV Thread

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I just upgraded to the 4K plan as I bought a new TV.  I dont mind paying.  Its a great service.

I wish other streaming services were as easy to use.  First World Problems I suppose, but it annoys me accessing HBO's VOD service through SHAW.  My TV actually came with a dedicated Netflix button.  Super fast and easy to use.

I was debating with some morons on a Star Trek forum about CBS All Access which is where the new series is available in the US.  Some people were very upset they had to pay for the service AND use a Roku device to get it on their TV's. 

As much as I like using KODI (which we run off the laptop), the above bolded is why I use Netflix more....it's just so much more convenient, for now.

...viewers have urged Netflix Canada to stock up on past seasons of "Game of Thrones," but the blockbuster TV show is owned by HBO, its biggest competitor. Bell Media owns the licences to HBO content in Canada, but hasn't made them available on any standalone streaming service.

Things get even more complicated when you turn to Netflix Canada, which bought licences for TV series like "Riverdale," which appear on the platform shortly after they air on U.S. television

Who has the rights? A look at how streaming services are confusing viewers

*loose definition of "shortly" IMO.  Netflix Canada shows that currently air on US networks take forrrrever to get here.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:10 PM, iHeart said:

welp, another revival another elephant in the room (dead cast member) but to be honest, this was kind of inevitable. I'm not sure if I want to watch it though but my dad is kind of excited about it

http://tvline.com/2017/08/08/king-of-the-hill-revival-fox/

okay, but this is a great show to revive.  I'd love to hear Hank and co.'s take on America version 2017. 

The whole cast (minus Brittany Murphy, of course) did a live read of "Husky Bobby" at SF Sketchfest in January.  Easily one of the funniest things I've seen live & up close.  The cast is high-larious,  and I think all in attendance felt their camaraderie. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

okay, but this is a great show to revive.  I'd love to hear Hank and co.'s take on America version 2017. 

The whole cast (minus Brittany Murphy, of course) did a live read of "Husky Bobby" at SF Sketchfest in January.  Easily one of the funniest things I've seen live & up close.  The cast is high-larious,  and I think all in attendance felt their camaraderie. 

yeah but if Hank is going to be a gloating Trump supporter then I'm out. 

what I'm hoping to see from the revival (if it happens) is that there's a time jump, I would like to see them move on from Tom Landry Middle School (because the guy that voiced Principal Moss has also passed away) I mean either Bobby is in High School or an adult, oh wait if they do that there would be no need to bring back Pamela Adlon

5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

and HBO has caught some hackers in India, I hope they go all Red Wedding on their asses

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/game-of-thrones-leak-arrests-india-season-7-episode-4/

oh no Michael Douglas you're better than this

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/michael-douglas-the-kominsky-method-netflix-comedy-series/

So if I understand correctly it wasnt so much they hacked but had access?  Or a combo of access and hacking.  idiots.  Hope they get the book thrown at them.  All it did was provide HBO with a ton of free press and the highest rating ever for Game of Thrones.

@Taynted_Fayth I might give American Gods a try.  It looks good and has had good reviews.  Im not sure how to watch it though (Amazon?).  I might pick up the first season on disc in October and see if I like it.

Interesting cast with Gillian Anderson, Ian McShane, Crispin Glover, Emily Browning etc.

43 minutes ago, iHeart said:

another day another Game of Thrones episode leak....but you won't believe by who this time

http://tvline.com/2017/08/16/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-6-leaked-death-is-the-enemy/

The funny part is, even though HBO will be angry that they did this to themselves, it likely leads to even higher ratings.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The funny part is, even though HBO will be angry that they did this to themselves, it likely leads to even higher ratings.

ya my girlfriend txtd me today "sooo game of thrones new episode leaked today.." and I said "don't you download it, no supporting the hackers plus crappy quality im sure.."  she replies "but HBO released it.. "  to which I replied.."well damn, I got nothing then.. "  lol so i'll be watching this tonight.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

yeah but the leak was actually an accident at least that's what the updated article said

well I can support an accident versus a hack lol.. ya one of their distro companies put it on their on demand server early and it was viewed and recorded..

so its actually a legit, HD copy of the show too.. not a rip or hacked crap copy.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I just don't see how these companies recover the costs without commercials?

Well Netflix has 100 million subscribers.  At around $10 a head, you can do the match on their revenue.  So spending a few billion on original content is a no brainer.  And it can be seen as a loss leader too, to retain and grow their subscriber base.  Once they spend the money creating a series or movie, they own it so it certainly pays for itself over the lifetime of the service.

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

well I can support an accident versus a hack lol.. ya one of their distro companies put it on their on demand server early and it was viewed and recorded..

so its actually a legit, HD copy of the show too.. not a rip or hacked crap copy.

unless maybe it wasn't an accident after all so they would beat the hackers to the punch.....nah even HBO isn't that dumb especially since HBO doesn't do commercias

15 hours ago, iHeart said:

unless maybe it wasn't an accident after all so they would beat the hackers to the punch.....nah even HBO isn't that dumb especially since HBO doesn't do commercias

yea no I'm pretty confident it was just a massive brain fart by the on demand service that posted it early.   that or they had a disgruntled employee who put it up early.. either way, im ok with it lol.   tho, now the wait for next week is longer..  damn catch 22's!

16 hours ago, iHeart said:

As I mentioned, the funny part is, the hacked episode was the highest rated.  Piracy doesnt actually hurt viewership in most cases because the most pirated shows are the most popular.  People generally watch a program through proper channels.  The people that hack are a small percentage.