The TV Thread

On 2/20/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jimmy Pop said:

(sidenote:  check out the movie A Scanner Darkly

Read the book.

One of my favourite books. Brilliant. 

Sci fi, combined with the sordid lives of drug addicts, author was intimately familiar with that lifestyle, and describes it extremely well. It's a sorrowful tale.

It has to be a great challenge  to translate/convert  a PK  Dy*ck book, into a movie. I guess Blade runner was the best effort.

*:lol:    this censor which won't let us type his surname which has an i not a y in it. 

Edited by Mark F

47 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Read the book.

One of my favourite books. Brilliant. 

Sci fi, combined with the sordid lives of drug addicts, author was intimately familiar with that lifestyle, and describes it extremely well. It's a sorrowful tale.

It has to be a great challenge  to translate/convert  a PK  Dy*ck book, into a movie. I guess Blade runner was the best effort.

*:lol:    this censor which won't let us type his surname which has an i not a y in it. 

D!ck

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

43 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Does not fill me with confidence.  I imagine they'll go with sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins.  In the original, the twist was that Magnum suspected Higgins was actually the estate owner (and his boss) Robin Masters which added an interesting dynamic between them.  As I recall in the finale, Higgins finally admitted to Magnum that he WAS Robin but in the final scene he said he lied.  So it was still open ended.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Think i'll quit after this season cause once Negan is gone it's time to call it.

A lot of fans feel Negan is driving viewers away.  I agree to an extent.  But its been downhill since they killed Glenn.  They lost something like 6 million viewers for the following episode.  They didnt understand what they were doing.

Plus, a lot of the characters do stupid things.  Its lacking realism (for a zombie show). Rick is tough to feel for now.  He's a lousy leader.  And that would have charm if the point was a flawed hero doing his best but he literally never learns from his mistakes.  They've hardly done anything with Daryl for ages either, and he's the most popular character on the show.

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A lot of fans feel Negan is driving viewers away.  I agree to an extent.  But its been downhill since they killed Glenn.  They lost something like 6 million viewers for the following episode.  They didnt understand what they were doing.

Plus, a lot of the characters do stupid things.  Its lacking realism (for a zombie show). Rick is tough to feel for now.  He's a lousy leader.  And that would have charm if the point was a flawed hero doing his best but he literally never learns from his mistakes.  They've hardly done anything with Daryl for ages either, and he's the most popular character on the show.

Someone explain to me why the 20+ dead couldnt care that Rick and Michonne were talking to the garbage dump lady?

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes and they blew it with Fear the Walking Dead as well which promised to be about the "fall" and never did show much of that before settling into its role as a less interesting copy cat of TWD.

I will say this that FTWD started out horribly with them barely getting into the fall but if you can get past the first season the show does a 180.

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I will say this that FTWD started out horribly with them barely getting into the fall but if you can get past the first season the show does a 180.

Im very tempted to give it another shot.  I think its on Amazon.  I was just terribly disappointed they didnt show us more of the fall of command & control.  It makes no sense to me that there is no government or military.  And if they are hiding out, why they havent tried to assert control.  Every so often they hint at something (a fighter jet in an early season, the chopper this season) but never follow up.

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lost In Space looked really good.  

Netflix is spending so much money... I do wonder if like Uber it will simply crash and burn and never recoup all the money they burn through??

They are ridiculously rich though.  100 million+ subs.  $10-$12 per month.  And I think Netflix is so ubiquitous that as more streaming services arrive, they will be the one everyone (or most) keep.  Like, if you have to make a choice between which services to spend money on, maybe you drop Amazon to get Disney but Netflix is "always there".  

They also seem really smart.  They began this huge spending spree for original content so they are ahead of the game when studios begin pulling content.  Ive said before, I highly recommend the book Netflixed which is about the rise of Netflix and the downfall of Blockbuster (which could have bought Netflix cheap but declined).

Caught this while reading about something else (FOX's interest in WWE) and thought it was interesting:

Joe Marchese, the ad sales chief at Fox announced at a private industry event their plans to change the philosophy of advertising, and cut it down to two minutes per hour (network is usually 13 minutes and cable is usually 16 minutes) as a way to battle Netflix and Amazon which are ad free