Burke Comments

by that logic I guess all eastern teams should bench their starting qb as they are all 1 and 2

except that hamilton for one has been losing because of their defense not their qb so your point doesn't make sense. Toronto as well has lost more becuase of their defense than their qb playing well. Montreal might want to think about it if Calvillo doesn't improve but there are other factors that are the primary issue there.... You can't just make up a bullshit argument like that when the reason the bombers are 1-2 rather than 3-0 is the horrendous play of the quarterback. 

except that hamilton for one has been losing because of their defense not their qb so your point doesn't make sense. Toronto as well has lost more becuase of their defense than their qb playing well. Montreal might want to think about it if Calvillo doesn't improve but there are other factors that are the primary issue there.... You can't just make up a bullshit argument like that when the reason the bombers are 1-2 rather than 3-0 is the horrendous play of the quarterback. 

its not just QB play that is the problem though. You are wrong about that. Maybe when you are playing Madden switching to the backup QB works super awesome but this isn't Madden.

its not just QB play that is the problem though. You are wrong about that. Maybe when you are playing Madden switching to the backup QB works super awesome but this isn't Madden.

it may not be the only problem but it's the biggest one by far. Or do you think Pierce has been playing well? You can change receivers all you want but if the ball is constantly being thrown over their heads or the qb is taking a sack because he wilts when pressure comes it won't matter. There may have been blocking mistakes from the o-line, but with that many blitzes there's going to be pressure coming through, it's up to the qb to make a play against that to slow them down, pierce has failed to do it. 

Letting him run more will be a help, but it remains to be seen if he can still perform at the level he needs to be able to. 

If a qb constantly does nothing against a blitz he becomes too easy to defend against. Case in point: compare Burris and Pierce last game. Pressure game rather than turtling like PIerce was doing Burris would move around, make a guy miss and buy yourself some time and complete a pass. That's one way you slow down a team blitzing, the other way is get the ball out of your hands quick, but we've seen that pierce can't do that effectively so why isn't he able to use his legs to avoid pressure? 

One thing I think is asinine is announcing to the media this:

Big Blue unleash Buck QB free to run, scramble at will vs. Argos

Holy ****. He actually said this in the media!

Fine to do it but to friggen well announce it is assinine. May as well put a target on Buck.

Hope Goltz is ready to play.

Holy ****. He actually said this in the media!

Fine to do it but to friggen well announce it is assinine. May as well put a target on Buck.

Hope Goltz is ready to play.

Because there wasn't a target on Buck already? Have you been watching the same games I have? Standing back in the pocket PIerce has taken a ton of shots every game. You think it's going to get worse if he's outside the pocket? Right now everyone knows where he's going to be and can just run right there to hit him. Announcing it probably gives the argos something else to worry about leading into the game but it doesn't change anything about PIerce getting hit or teams targetting him. Guy gets hurt in the pocket more than outside it anyway so what's the worry? The plan to protect him with quick passes and extra protection hasn't worked cause Pierce can't play that game so let's let him protect himself with his legs if he can. If he can't then as a qb sad to say is will be done. 

see edmontons last game. bet you were one of the people calling for Reilly too.

why not compare things that are comparable? Reilly put up 30 points on the ticats in much worse conditions. So how exactly can it get worse? This offense has been bad, don't confuse anything. If it was another team showing what the bombers are showing we'd all be laughing our asses off at them. The only thing making it not nearly as critical is the fact that the defense is turning in exceptional efforts and keeping things from turning into blowouts. 

why not compare things that are comparable? Reilly put up 30 points on the ticats in much worse conditions. So how exactly can it get worse? This offense has been bad, don't confuse anything. If it was another team showing what the bombers are showing we'd all be laughing our asses off at them. The only thing making it not nearly as critical is the fact that the defense is turning in exceptional efforts and keeping things from turning into blowouts. 

How many of those were passing plays where they scored??

Rielly is great at escaping pressure and running.. But from the games i've watched he hasn't been very accurate.  well.. Not enough of the time anyhow

How many of those were passing plays where they scored??

Rielly is great at escaping pressure and running.. But from the games i've watched he hasn't been very accurate.  well.. Not enough of the time anyhow

But in comparison to pierce who has also been not nearly accurate enough... and in addition Pierce hasn't been able to escape pressure or run either. So how would it be worse? That's the point here. Pierce has been so bad in the first 3 games the whole "it might get worse" argument is ludicrous. 

no point bashing Reilly just because the guy didn't want to play here.  I don't understand it myself.  He's got some tools to be a good QB in this league, but why he'd want to go to the QB graveyard that is Edmonton with that decrepit o-line right now I have no idea. There will be "consequences".

Because there wasn't a target on Buck already? Have you been watching the same games I have? Standing back in the pocket PIerce has taken a ton of shots every game. You think it's going to get worse if he's outside the pocket? Right now everyone knows where he's going to be and can just run right there to hit him. Announcing it probably gives the argos something else to worry about leading into the game but it doesn't change anything about PIerce getting hit or teams targetting him. Guy gets hurt in the pocket more than outside it anyway so what's the worry? The plan to protect him with quick passes and extra protection hasn't worked cause Pierce can't play that game so let's let him protect himself with his legs if he can. If he can't then as a qb sad to say is will be done. 

I get this, but it just seems stupid to announce the plans publically. Be better to let him loose but at least have it a little bit of a surprise. Argo's expect to him be in the pocket and he actually move from it. Surprise might not last more than a couple of drives, but now it's gone.

Unless Burke is being crafty and Buck is not allowed out of the pocket again.......

But in comparison to pierce who has also been not nearly accurate enough... and in addition Pierce hasn't been able to escape pressure or run either. So how would it be worse? That's the point here. Pierce has been so bad in the first 3 games the whole "it might get worse" argument is ludicrous. 

he's been able to escape pressure at times

I get this, but it just seems stupid to announce the plans publically. Be better to let him loose but at least have it a little bit of a surprise. Argo's expect to him be in the pocket and he actually move from it. Surprise might not last more than a couple of drives, but now it's gone.

Unless Burke is being crafty and Buck is not allowed out of the pocket again.......

I think that if you were expecting the Argos to not have a defense in place that would account for a qb scrambling that you are very very naive. 

he's been able to escape pressure at times

I can remember one, when he scrambled and threw to Kohlert late against the als... I'm sure there are a few more, but I can remember a hell of a lot more times he was utterly ineffective at moving and I am sure that there are more of those that I don't remember too. 

Something about the sun shining on a dogs ass every now and then. That is pretty much Pierce at qb this season.

no point bashing Reilly just because the guy didn't want to play here.  I don't understand it myself.  He's got some tools to be a good QB in this league, but why he'd want to go to the QB graveyard that is Edmonton with that decrepit o-line right now I have no idea. There will be "consequences".

How can you not understand it?  Nichols was recovering from a serious injury, and Reilly ended up being the starter by Week 1.  Here we refuse to pull a struggling QB until he's knocks himself out of the game.  Pretty sure he chose right.

Not sure how all the blame is going on Burke, a HC who is putting all his offensive trust in Crowton.... does he not consult with Crowton about whether to pull Buck or not.  

I'm guessing Buck is on a very short leash at the moment.  He got a "pass" when we won in week 2, and the game was never out of hand against the Ticats which makes it tough to pull him (imo) regardless of how awful he is playing.

Not sure how all the blame is going on Burke, a HC who is putting all his offensive trust in Crowton.... does he not consult with Crowton about whether to pull Buck or not.  

I'm guessing Buck is on a very short leash at the moment.  He got a "pass" when we won in week 2, and the game was never out of hand against the Ticats which makes it tough to pull him (imo) regardless of how awful he is playing.

which is bullshit logic. Without superhuman efforts on defense it was a blowout, you can't refuse to sit a struggling qb just because the defense is really really good. Couple first downs in the third quarter maybe the bombers win that game, but no the offense disappeared and the defense as always happens, got worn down and the team lost. We have seen that so many times in the last 3 seasons now.