8 (9) Anthony Coombs RB Manitoba

9 (5) Matthias Goosen OL Simon Fraser

10 (8) Andrew Lue LB Queen's

11 (13) Adam Thibault DB Laval

12 (11) Casey Chin LB Simon Fraser

13 (--) David Menard DL Montreal

14 (-) Antoine Pruneau DB Montreal

15 (7) Beau Landry LB Western

A lot of what I expected to see did end up happening ... Landry, Caron and Goosen were three guys I was expecting to see drop and I figured Pruneau and Ainsworth were in for a stock boost, but I have to admit I didn't expect to see Foucault go over Lavertu, Menard to show up in the top 15 and I certainly didn't expect to see Quinn Smith jump THAT high. Maybe he will go that high, I have to admit I didn't see much of him at Concordia so it's hard for me to have much of an opinion. I just didn't expect a combine performance that seemed like it came out of nowhere to have so much bearing. But if his game film got a closer look after that performance, maybe he's worthy of the jump.

Does this change in anyway our draft process? Do we go best player available rather than position of need ie. center if Ottawa takes Pierre Lavertu at #1 over David Foucault who is now rated higher for instance? It seems now that if we go by these ratings, someone like #9 Matthias Goosen may be more of a stretch now drafted number 2 even though he could meet a need for this team.

Does this change in anyway our draft process? Do we go best player available rather than position of need ie. center if Ottawa takes Pierre Lavertu at #1 over David Foucault who is now rated higher for instance? It seems now that if we go by these ratings, someone like #9 Matthias Goosen may be more of a stretch now drafted number 2 even though he could meet a need for this team.

Quite frankly, as much as you'll see movement that mirrors the thoughts of executives, trying to make pinpoint rankings off this list is pointless. The list is full of smoke and mirrors.

I got a feeling that Walters in co don't pay too much attention to this list. They have hours of their own research to go on.

Yes but if we take someone like a #9 Goosen at 2nd overall is that not any different than our off the board pick of Pencer or even Etienne when there were several higher rated players available? 

OL Lavertu is no brainer for us, unfortunately he's a no brainer for Ottawa too

OL Foucault doesn't fill our need at the moment which is a Center and we have RG/RT hopefuls - Swiston, Penser and Neufeld.

OL Tardif is definitely a future pick which we can't afford right now

DL Smith is interesting based on what he shown in the combine plus he also shown he will not be out of place playing Guard which I guess added to his stock. Picking him, definitely help our ratio especially if he can start right away plus an emergency 7th OL on the 42.

DL Gill is the highest rated DL prior to the combine, and he maintain his stock upto this point. He will be a sentimental pick for the hometown Bombers for sure. Just like Smith, he can help the ratio if he can start right away. Is he the next Doug Brown? That remains to be seen.

WR Bailey - I dont think we are going with a receiver for our 1st pick. We may not have a backup for Watson and Kohlert at the moment but their are intersting receivers available in the latter rounds.

DE Ainsworth is interesting too since he may fill the 'rover' spot on Ech's D which inturn will save us 1 DI spot. Question is, Is he a stretch to pick at #2?

RB Coombs, will not fill a need for the Bombers since we dont really make NI RBs as our feature backs. Unless the Bombers will go 3 NI on the receiving core and convert him to a SB that may help but I'm not sure they wanna do that. I think BC will take him on the 5th if they dont move up.

OL Goosen will be an off the board pick at this point based on the Final Draft ranking. I dont think Walters will go with the same route that Mack has taken during the draft.

My guess... Bombers will pick either Smith or Gill (I'm going with Gill) and trading down with any of these teams - Montreal, BC and Toronto - is one of the possible options.

OL Foucault doesn't fill our need at the moment which is a Center and we have RG/RT hopefuls - Swiston, Penser and Neufeld.

You can never have enough non import tackle prospects. If Lavertu is off the board, Foucault should be the guy.

DL Smith is interesting based on what he shown in the combine plus he also shown he will not be out of place playing Guard which I guess added to his stock. Picking him, definitely help our ratio especially if he can start right away plus an emergency 7th OL on the 42.

DL Gill is the highest rated DL prior to the combine, and he maintain his stock upto this point. He will be a sentimental pick for the hometown Bombers for sure. Just like Smith, he can help the ratio if he can start right away. Is he the next Doug Brown? That remains to be seen.

Neither guy would start right away. They wouldn't even be asked to do so. Meaningful reps? Sure. Full time reps? Not a chance.

DE Ainsworth is interesting too since he may fill the 'rover' spot on Ech's D which inturn will save us 1 DI spot. Question is, Is he a stretch to pick at #2?

That'd be a big reach.

OL Goosen will be an off the board pick at this point based on the Final Draft ranking. I dont think Walters will not go with the same route that Mack has taken during the draft.

"Off the board" is some term people throw around and I never quite get why. They don't like Goossen but what if they did? If they had him ranked as the second best player, would they pass on him just because some bullshit list says he is ninth? Executives should have some self respect and not let their actions be dictated by the opinions around them.

Quite frankly, as much as you'll see movement that mirrors the thoughts of executives, trying to make pinpoint rankings off this list is pointless. The list is full of smoke and mirrors.

Probably but what about all the complaining in the past few years about our supposed off the board picks then? The draft ratings don't count that much in your opinion?

Probably but what about all the complaining in the past few years about our supposed off the board picks then? The draft ratings don't count that much in your opinion?

Put it this way ... how accurate is the list when you're essentially asking 9 teams to rank the players they're going to be fighting over in less than a month?

Ah yes, the much awaited and anticipated drop of Matthias Goossen. I had him at #11. Good to see Antoine Pruneau and David Menard get in there as well.

I don't know what to do with Goossen. I don't like him, but the need for OL prospects has him going high in my mock draft. I wouldn't personally touch him in the first round, but I just can't see him getting by Edmonton or at worst, Hamilton.

Ah yes, the much awaited and anticipated drop of Matthias Goossen. I had him at #11. Good to see Antoine Pruneau and David Menard get in there as well.

I don't know what to do with Goossen. I don't like him, but the need for OL prospects has him going high in my mock draft. I wouldn't personally touch him in the first round, but I just can't see him getting by Edmonton or at worst, Hamilton.

Agreed. If it was me, I am gauging where the 4th OL (exc potentially LDT) will go and try to perhaps package a top player with that offensive lineman. To me, while the second tier isn't as good, at worst, the first two or three years for that player will go how I anticipate it going for Goossen. With the exception that maybe the 4th OL goes back to school if it is a CIS guy.

No GM with half a brain is going to tell everyone else who he intends to take in the first round, so the entire list is, essentially, a sham. As Mike said, "smoke and mirrors" because nobody wants to show their cards. Therefore, "off the board" is a silly term, because you don't really know what the board is...

The potential to lose any of these picks to the NFL has to be a major consideration when drafting and I could see 5 or 6 of this group having that opportunity all offensive and defensive linemen.  Really puts a damper on the process when picking the best player available can potentially add zilch to the team.  It would be great if the NFL had the goodwill to compensate CFL teams when they steal away their draft picks.

You can never have enough non import tackle prospects. If Lavertu is off the board, Foucault should be the guy.

If Foucault is for sure going to be that starting tackle, make the pick.  If he's going to be an interior convert, we're just burning a hole in the rest of our roster by continuing to pick these types of players, of which we already have 3 (Swiston, Pencer, Neufeld who is essentially our 2nd round pick in this draft) plus Morley, a good football player who took two full seasons to become an average guard.  

IMO there's a strong bias for the NI tackle body types, and very few of them end up actually playing tackle, and most of them stink at playing inside when they ultimately have to because they can't handle edge rushers who are twice as quick as anything they see in CIS.  Everyone, including seasoned football people, is in awe of a 6'8 guy who can move and looks great relative to CIS competition, and dream of the NI tackle, but in reality it isn't happening all that much.  Now that's tying a general bias to Foucault, probably unfair to him until he proves otherwise.

The best OL in this draft class could very well end up being a guy like Kyle Paterson, who doesn't draw ooohs and ahhhhs because he's 6'2 280, not 6'8 320.

From a Bomber perspective, we have too many holes in the roster to just keep cramming guys in the pipeline for a position we end up using an import at anyways.

If Foucault is for sure going to be that starting tackle, make the pick.  If he's going to be an interior convert, we're just burning a hole in the rest of our roster by continuing to pick these types of players, of which we already have 3 (Swiston, Pencer, Neufeld who is essentially our 2nd round pick in this draft) plus Morley, a good football player who took two full seasons to become an average guard.  

IMO there's a strong bias for the NI tackle body types, and very few of them end up actually playing tackle, and most of them stink at playing inside when they ultimately have to because they can't handle edge rushers who are twice as quick as anything they see in CIS.  Everyone, including seasoned football people, are in awe of a 6'8 guy who can move and looks great relative to CIS competition, and dream of the NI tackle, but in reality it isn't happening all that much.  Now that's tying a general bias to Foucault, probably unfair to him until he proves otherwise.

The best OL in this draft class could very well end up being a guy like Kyle Paterson, who doesn't draw ooohs and ahhhhs because he's 6'2 280, not 6'8 320.

From a Bomber perspective, we have too many holes in the roster to just keep cramming guys in the pipeline for a position we end up using an import at anyways.

that is my concern, actually.

IMO there's a strong bias for the NI tackle body types, and very few of them end up actually playing tackle, and most of them stink at playing inside when they ultimately have to because they can't handle edge rushers who are twice as quick as anything they see in CIS.  Everyone, including seasoned football people, are in awe of a 6'8 guy who can move and looks great relative to CIS competition, and dream of the NI tackle, but in reality it isn't happening all that much.  Now that's tying a general bias to Foucault, probably unfair to him until he proves otherwise.

Interesting perspective.  So you don't see Pencer or Neufeld having the ability to start at either RG or RT?  Morley isn't a long term answer and I could see him gone in the next 1-2 years. 

Interesting perspective.  So you don't see Pencer or Neufeld having the ability to start at either RG or RT?  Morley isn't a long term answer and I could see him gone in the next 1-2 years. 

If we're lucky, one of Pencer or Swiston become a good CFL guard.  I think Pencer has loads of potential but he needs to play and they need to decide right now what position he's going to play and focus his development.  2014 is a huge year for him, we'll know if he's going to be a player or a bust by the end of it IMO.

I don't have a lot of hope for Neufeld to be more than stop-gap/ratio desperation at any positon.  He's the guy I'd have working on snapping and see if he can be a centre, much like what the Bombers did with Obby Khan in 06, might be a longer process for Neufeld.

Morley will be gone in 1-2 years, he's at the end of his career.

What's with the focus on Right Tackle?  We already have two prospects pegged for that spot - Neufeld has already played and was actually better at tackle than guard.  Unless his leg is screwed (in which case the trade was a huge mistake), he is the closest to being game ready.  After him, Pencer is also more of a natural tackle.  Same with Swiston.

The one thing I wouldn't draft this year is a tackle prospect.  We need someone who may start but can at least contribute on ST and start next year or end of season...

1.Lavertu 2. Goosen 3. Foucault

Foucault at 3 due to possible nfl interest. If he hasnt signed by draft time and is commited to signing up here, he's ahead of goosen on my list if im kyle walters and staff.

Lavertu, just makes sense. we probably want him. We need him. He probably will start right away. He's a perfect fit for what we lack.

Goosen. Same as Lavertu, just not as good right now, probably not ready to start but.. he's an olineman and we need that badly plus he's a center and well, like lavertu, we need that.

Foucault, ahead of Goosen if no NFL interest, might project to be tackle but can start and probably will at guard for whoever drafts him. Gotta think he would for us.

We need OLINE guys, we need center olineman. There are 2 available. We probably will take one.

Foucault would be nice too, he fits a  need.

Guys like Coomb,Gill... Sure, Gill might be nice but not at 2 when you need to fix your oline. You dont pass up on one of those 3 for Gill i dont think.Coombs? Lets not even go there, like the guy... he's good, but.. he's very small. If he's there in round 2, maybe i look at making a trade to move up to take him then but not at 2, not even close to 2.

If we're lucky, one of Pencer or Swiston become a good CFL guard.  I think Pencer has loads of potential but he needs to play and they need to decide right now what position he's going to play and focus his development.  2014 is a huge year for him, we'll know if he's going to be a player or a bust by the end of it IMO.

I don't have a lot of hope for Neufeld to be more than stop-gap/ratio desperation at any positon.  He's the guy I'd have working on snapping and see if he can be a centre, much like what the Bombers did with Obby Khan in 06, might be a longer process for Neufeld.

Morley will be gone in 1-2 years, he's at the end of his career.

Yes, make this pick.  If any one can get Foucault to work into a starters position this season it's Bob Wylie.  Same thing goes for Pencer, Wylie should be able to squeeze every drop of ability out of that guy.  I agree that 2014 should be the year where by the end you know what you're getting with him.