Final Scouting Bureau Rankings

Atomic

Our d-line promises to be mediocre to above average.

Our o-line promises to be horrid to mediocre.

Thus, Lavertu is a no-brainer if he`s available.

Remember, Smith rolled guys at the drills but CFL d-line work isn`t a drill. Often you`re inserted into a system and can`t bull-rush every play. Often, you can defeat your primary blocking opponent but a second guy picks you up and nullifies your rush. 

Neufeld better be a C+ to B starter cuz we don`t have a 2nd round pick and if we did we`d be picking 2nd and 12th overall.

Could take a risk Lavertu doesn`t catch on and do a Joe-pick on him at 12....

What?

In the NFL....I think the bombers have learned their lesson about selecting NFL bound guys with their first picks.

Of course, we've also drafted a few dogs with first round picks, too - going off the board to avoid NFL-destined guys.

What does that have to do with Lavertu though ... he's one of the top guys who has had no NFL interest as of yet.

Probably meant Foucault - Tardif is pretty much off everyone's charts - might have a team burn a 4th to 6th rounder on him.

Sounds like you're a little confused Nate, much like you are about the existing talent on our O Line. Maybe you should spend more time following what the Bombers do instead of the green guys. Lavertu would/should be our choice at 2 if available. Once Ottawa makes their pic a clearer picture will present itself as to which direction we'll go.

Sounds like you're a little confused Nate, much like you are about the existing talent on our O Line. Maybe you should spend more time following what the Bombers do instead of the green guys. Lavertu would/should be our choice at 2 if available. Once Ottawa makes their pic a clearer picture will present itself as to which direction we'll go.

I guess we're at the mercy of Ottawa's pick.....they need o-line help just as much as we do! Especially when Marwan retired after being selected in the dispersal.

Don't see the advantage of Ottawa picking Smith... they have Shologan and Evans - DT is already a secure NI spot for them - and Connor Williams in the system...

Then again, its is Desjardins... he could go with Bailey first overall...

Don't see the advantage of Ottawa picking Smith... they have Shologan and Evans - DT is already a secure NI spot for them - and Connor Williams in the system...

Then again, its is Desjardins... he could go with Bailey first overall...

Most people aren't projecting Smith as a defensive lineman. They're projecting him as a guy who is going to transition to offensive line. His footwork seems to have scouts believing he can be a legit force on the interior line.

Hypothetically, you COULD go with two non-imports at DT and rotate Smith, Shologan and Evans while you slowly transition Smith to the OL.

I think, I'm good if the Bombers pick any of Lavertu, Foucault and Smith.

Lavertu - is definitely a BIG NEED

Foucault - hoping he can transition his LT play from CIS to CFL

Smith - hoping he can be converted to C

How about burning our 1st rounder next year for Ottawa's 1st overall? So we can pick both Lavertu and Foucault.

Which will enable us to solidify our Oline with top rank NI's

...LT Foucault / LG Greaves / C Lavertu / RG Penser / RT Neufeld

Our d-line promises to be mediocre to above average.

Our o-line promises to be horrid to mediocre.

Thus, Lavertu is a no-brainer if he`s available.

Remember, Smith rolled guys at the drills but CFL d-line work isn`t a drill. Often you`re inserted into a system and can`t bull-rush every play. Often, you can defeat your primary blocking opponent but a second guy picks you up and nullifies your rush. 

Neufeld better be a C+ to B starter cuz we don`t have a 2nd round pick and if we did we`d be picking 2nd and 12th overall.

Could take a risk Lavertu doesn`t catch on and do a Joe-pick on him at 12....

What?

In the NFL....I think the bombers have learned their lesson about selecting NFL bound guys with their first picks.

Of course, we've also drafted a few dogs with first round picks, too - going off the board to avoid NFL-destined guys.

What does that have to do with Lavertu though ... he's one of the top guys who has had no NFL interest as of yet.

Probably meant Foucault - Tardif is pretty much off everyone's charts - might have a team burn a 4th to 6th rounder on him.

lol what do you mean probably? Aren't you the one who said it? Shouldn't you know what you meant?

Smith's athleticism, aggressiveness, speed and intelligence would seem to make him an idea O-lineman, perhaps at center (if he has long enough arms) or as a pulling guard. We need a smart, tough center to call the blocking schemes and we haven't had that since Picard left. Smith would seem to have a very high ceiling.

If Smith played an entire game (OL and DL) would that count as 2 NI spots towards the minimum requirement of 7?

Yep.

Technically, the rule isn't a minimum amount of Canadians. It's just a maximum amount of Americans that leaves you with a balance of 7 spaces to fill with Canadians.

Does anyone think there would be any traction to trading Ottawa our 1st and Cauchy for their 1st?  Deal from surplus for us, deal for at minimum NI depth and possibly a starter for Ottawa?  We've got a lot of depth at safety, and either/both of Alexander/Newman could start back there for us.

It's the kind of deal that would never get done until crunch time, and not without Ottawa wanting it.  But in a draft with what appears to be one clear cut guy that would fit in immediately with our needs.  All day, every day I'd do that deal.  The question is... does Desjardins value creating depth in his roster, or is his ego big enough that he'd turn down a potential starter and the 2nd overall pick, just so he can select first.

Does anyone think there would be any traction to trading Ottawa our 1st and Cauchy for their 1st?  Deal from surplus for us, deal for at minimum NI depth and possibly a starter for Ottawa?  We've got a lot of depth at safety, and either/both of Alexander/Newman could start back there for us.

It's the kind of deal that would never get done until crunch time, and not without Ottawa wanting it.  But in a draft with what appears to be one clear cut guy that would fit in immediately with our needs.  All day, every day I'd do that deal.  The question is... does Desjardins value creating depth in his roster, or is his ego big enough that he'd turn down a potential starter and the 2nd overall pick, just so he can select first.

If they want Smith, they'd be silly to not do that deal.

Say we move up to #1 via trade....

I would assume there would be some discussion with Lavertu before hand to guage if he is going back to school or not?

Or is that sort of discussion an option at all?

Probably dealt with those questions at the combine.

That's a pretty bad deal for us - I'd be ok if it included a 3rd rounder as well  (so basically Cauchy for a 3rd rounder and swapping first round picks)

If they want Smith, they'd be silly to not do that deal.

But then again if it's Smith they want, then we'd be silly to even offer that deal.

Redblacks have Eric Fraser as their safety, I don't see them looking to acquire a back-up in Couch.

With how well Ottawa is for Canadians right now, they could literally do almost anything. They are in a fantastic spot. I wouldn't put it past them to trade out to #4 or #5, select Bailey, and then select Bastien at #10, and take a second tier lineman with the second pick that they add from the trade. You may even have a shot at David Menard - who while he is not as good as Smith or Gill, will be a fine DT, I believe. I think they would be better served selecting an end type if they go DL though. Only have two.

Redblacks have Sholo, Evans, and Andrew Marshall as Canadian DT's. Unless they're starting two, which I can't imagine with Hopkins and Jon Williams there, drafting Smith means he is being converted, I would have to believe.

That might be a little over-speculative, but it would be an interesting option.

The word is out on Cauchy so I don't see anyone really lining up to offer us stale donuts for him.

However, I do like the suggestion of trading our #1 pick next year (most CFL'rs would say its a virtual #1 or #2 pick again) for Ottawa's #1 this year. 

However, there's a ton of heat on Marcel Dee to try and raise interest and develop crowds for their new product. It would be very enticing to get both Lavertu & Focault or one of them plus Q Smith. 

I wonder what we'd need to give (to anybody) to get a 2nd round pick?