Final Scouting Bureau Rankings

Atomic

Don't see the advantage of Ottawa picking Smith... they have Shologan and Evans - DT is already a secure NI spot for them - and Connor Williams in the system...

Then again, its is Desjardins... he could go with Bailey first overall...

Most people aren't projecting Smith as a defensive lineman. They're projecting him as a guy who is going to transition to offensive line. His footwork seems to have scouts believing he can be a legit force on the interior line.

Hypothetically, you COULD go with two non-imports at DT and rotate Smith, Shologan and Evans while you slowly transition Smith to the OL.

Tricky...  I can't see relying on a guy who has played a handful of games (only in relief) as an OL pick.

If that's the case, Ottawa has to pick Lavertu.  Then bombers pick Smith as a DT with possible OC option...

But I still like the Coombs pick.  I think he goes top five if not top three.

The other thing - thinking about it now, is I believe Keith Shologan is a free agent after this season, and I'm not so sure he would be looking to re-sign.

Looking to play closer to home?

I'm wondering if SSK left him unprotected knowing his contract situation could allow them to re-acquire him after one season. Also, they had to keep that offensive line intact.

The other thing - thinking about it now, is I believe Keith Shologan is a free agent after this season, and I'm not so sure he would be looking to re-sign.

I'm wondering if SSK left him unprotected knowing his contract situation could allow them to re-acquire him after one season. Also, they had to keep that offensive line intact.

So in sense, most of the players they acquire in the expansion draft are rentals.

Looking at Ottawa's OL, i think they need a C, RG and RT

LT - import

LG - Deane / Dunn

C - K-Groh

RG - Albright / Barrette

RT - Epelle

I would say Deane is more likely to play tackle with Eppele on the inside. They got James Lee from the Riders in the draft, I think he starts. They also just signed Nate Menkin, and I think they look to go two import tackles. Gives them a much better situation on the offensive line for depth. Albright can play centre as well, so you would look at:

G - Deane, Eppele, Dunn, Barrette

C - Krausnick, Albright

Add a couple more OL via the draft for assurance if someone has to kick out to tackle due to injury, and you are in a good spot.

So in sense, most of the players they acquire in the expansion draft are rentals.

For some that may be the case - Kohlert is an example, though there are different circumstances that revolved around that. If they have a successful first year, that can help sway a decision. Dollars and playing time factor in as well.

Would he really be in such a hurry to go back to Sask? Leaving him unprotected would have to sting a bit.

@TBieber, any updates on Ted Laurent? what NFL teams did he tried out already and what teams are still lined up ?

Seems to be all quiet. The longer it goes the more you have to think he is back in the CFL. Only work out I know about was Minnesota and that was months ago now.

Would he really be in such a hurry to go back to Sask? Leaving him unprotected would have to sting a bit.

That was actually my other thought. I know he mentioned he was shocked he was left unprotected. Could even move back to the West and pending what happens with Laurent, etc. Westerman is a free agent too.

Lots of opportunity for a Canadian DT to find a home.

What about Robert McCune? I'm shocked he hasn't signed anywhere.

He's at the point where - yes, he is coming off a good season, but he is also 35 coming off an injury that forced him to miss the playoffs. His asking price may be too high as well. The Alouettes were talking to him when free agency opened, but they wound up signing Diamond Ferri the next day.

I think if he signs anywhere it will be after the draft, closer to camp and maybe not even until an injury occurs during the season.