Etcheverry announced as Defensive Coordinator (finally)

Mike

Wow so much nitpicking and cry babies on here. It seems like a good chunk of people on here are having some kind of off season PMS.

Hang on, I think I have a screenshot of our chat sessions during the Bomber games...

*cough*hypocrite*cough*

;)

I think we're all like that from time to time.

Can't say that I like the way the coaching staff is shaping up.  Our HC has zero HC or DC or OC experience at any level.  Our OC had more than half a season last year to turn things around and didn't.  We kept our receivers coach even though our receivers looked best in their first games for us then go downhill from there.  Our DC's Mad Scientist ways led to him not being in the CFL since 2010.  We don't have a special teams coach yet, but we had one who was top 2 in the league last year.   It's not hating.  I can see why folks are underwhelmed. 

Can't say that I like the way the coaching staff is shaping up. Our HC has zero HC or DC or OC experience at any level. Our OC had more than half a season last year to turn things around and didn't. We kept our receivers coach even though our receivers looked best in their first games for us then go downhill from there. Our DC's Mad Scientist ways led to him not being in the CFL since 2010. We don't have a special teams coach yet, but we had one who was top 2 in the league last year. It's not hating. I can see why folks are underwhelmed.

Yes we do have a special teams coach. Pat Tracey.

Can't say that I like the way the coaching staff is shaping up. Our HC has zero HC or DC or OC experience at any level. Our OC had more than half a season last year to turn things around and didn't. We kept our receivers coach even though our receivers looked best in their first games for us then go downhill from there. Our DC's Mad Scientist ways led to him not being in the CFL since 2010. We don't have a special teams coach yet, but we had one who was top 2 in the league last year. It's not hating. I can see why folks are underwhelmed.

Yes we do have a special teams coach.

Who?

Who?

Pat Tracey.

Who?

Pat Tracey.

You're right.  I forgot about that signing.  New to the CFL so I don't know very much about him other than what I just read in the last 5 minutes.  

Wow so much nitpicking and cry babies on here. It seems like a good chunk of people on here are having some kind of off season PMS.

Hang on, I think I have a screenshot of our chat sessions during the Bomber games...

*cough*hypocrite*cough*

;)

I think we're all like that from time to time.

During Bomber games over the last two seasons I don't hold any of the complaints of any of the members.

I remember the moment when Burke took the knee... At that point I think every fan was seeing blood lol.

Who?

Pat Tracey.

You're right.  I forgot about that signing.  New to the CFL so I don't know very much about him other than what I just read in the last 5 minutes.

I'm in the same boat. It'll be tough to replace Dickenson, but it sounds like Tracey has a good amount of experience. Hopefully Aaron Woods' rehab is going well

How can we not be underwhelmed? Etcheverry is a mad man as a DC & is a vagabond coach going from one job to another or another. it's hard to accept Etcheverry after Stubler was supposed to sign here then the Stamps scooped him up. Bellefeuille is back & that is a Meh decision as his offenses are lukewarm. Same receiver coach as last year, no running back coach, & no OL  coach announced.  We were supposed to get a qb coach & now MOS is waffling about that. I mean hey, it's nearly March. What is so great about this staff to get excited about?

Well it's not surprising some of you are underwhelmed, considering the over/under stance some of youze take., but I don't understand why there has to be an overwhelming factor.

Looks to me we'll have a hard working staff if the hours O'Shea has put in is any indication.

O'Shea knows these guys and has worked with most in the past.

Hey, that's works for me.

As for Bellefeuille…well, all's I can say is, before he was thrown in that terrible situation last year, he was in the process of trying to improve his offensive awareness.

He took a job in the United Football League as offensive co-ordinator and wide receivers coach with the Omaha Nighthawks.

When the Blue Bombers called, he had been watching and learning at the NFL camps of the Chicago Bears and New York Giants, about to check out the Tennessee Titans. He studied their offences and how they ran training camp. -WINNIPEG SUN

I don't know what to expect from training camp this year, but I sure see it as being more focused, with attention to detail

And who's to say we can't a new standard for coaching with the depth of Canadian knowledge we possess.

Me? I'll sit at 'whelmed' at this point, bide my time, and see what happens.

I am not going to comment on the positional coaches because I haven't seen enough of them and as a rookie head coach I think we need to give o'shea the benefit of the doubt for now, but the OC and DC? Very underwhelming. Remember these guys were out of the league until the Bombers got desperate and gave them a job. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Really seems like they were digging to the bottom of the barrel to get these guys. I hope they prove me wrong but based on past history I dunno. 

I am not going to comment on the positional coaches because I haven't seen enough of them and as a rookie head coach I think we need to give o'shea the benefit of the doubt for now, but the OC and DC? Very underwhelming. Remember these guys were out of the league until the Bombers got desperate and gave them a job. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Really seems like they were digging to the bottom of the barrel to get these guys. I hope they prove me wrong but based on past history I dunno.

It can't be as bad as Baresi, Cartwright, Kelly, Burke,Creehan and Crowton...

I am about as non-plussed about our offseason so far as anyone. I think it has been a borderline failure thus far, in regards, to the amount of ground we needed to gain. This offseason was like being in 2nd and 25, and unless things change on the player front, it looks like we called a running play for 8 yards. Positive yardage to be sure...but nowhere near enough.

However, I am a little more optimistic about the coaching staff than many people. I believe that a coaching staff's biggest strength is in the collective. Coaches need to be on the same page philosophically, and preach the same message to the club.

Oshea, Etcheverry, and even Bellefeuille are all known for instilling work ethic into their groups. They are also known for being taskmasters and holding players accountable. I think the sum of their strengths working together will make up for the flaws they show as individuals. One of the toughest, yet most necessary, aspects of coaching is getting your players to believe in your program. I think with the experience these men have in handling a locker room, which can be very political at times, will pay dividends. Believe it or not I think Etcheverry's mad scientist ways will keep the players interested and motivated once they start seeing the dividends that the mad doctor's defences almost always bring in the early part of the season. I think Bellefeuille will be a steady, but firm hand, on a somewhat fragile offence. I think O'Shea brings a boatload of attitude, respect, and mystique to the job. Players will listen to him. Tracey is an unknown really at this point, but brings a very impressive resume. If we can add Wylie/Himebauch, and McDiarmid to the mix it will round out a nice stable of position coaches. I see this group collectively as better than the sum of it's parts.

Besides, could anything be worse than watching the wounded puppy dog look in Burke's eyes as he threw yet another player under the bus for failing to execute a ******** play call by Crowton/Creehan? I will take this year's staff over last year's every single day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Can't say that I like the way the coaching staff is shaping up.  Our HC has zero HC or DC or OC experience at any level.  Our OC had more than half a season last year to turn things around and didn't.  We kept our receivers coach even though our receivers looked best in their first games for us then go downhill from there.  Our DC's Mad Scientist ways led to him not being in the CFL since 2010.  We don't have a special teams coach yet, but we had one who was top 2 in the league last year.   It's not hating.  I can see why folks are underwhelmed. 

Oh gawd.  So Mike O'Shea, a reputed leader both as a player and coach, is a poorly qualified HC, because he's never been in a co-ordinator position?  Can I get you some Burke or some Stubler as HC to appease you? 

If you can find me a hot-shot co-ordinator who's also a leader, I'll take him.  But I'll take the leader over the co-ordinator... all day, every day.

Oh gawd.  So Mike O'Shea, a reputed leader both as a player and coach, is a poorly qualified HC, because he's never been in a co-ordinator position?  Can I get you some Burke or some Stubler as HC to appease you? 

If you can find me a hot-shot co-ordinator who's also a leader, I'll take him.  But I'll take the leader over the co-ordinator... all day, every day

First of all O'Shea was a coordinator. He was ST coordinator in Toronto. Even if he wasn't it is irrelevant. One has nothing to do with the other. A HC does not necessarily need coordinator experience nor does being a high level coordinator necessarily make someone a good HC. Too many examples to list that prove this.

Richard Harris was a positional coach with no coordinator experience, I defy anyone to come on here and seriously suggest that he would have been a poor HCing candidate.

From Penton in Sun

More hirings on horizon

Mike O’Shea still has to hire three more assistants, and one of them will be a quarterbacks coach.

The Bombers head coach will also be hiring assistants for the linebackers and offensive line to round out his nine-member staff.

Most other CFL staffs are complete and already working together, although the Montreal Alouettes are still without a head coach.

I think O'Shea has done a pretty decent job with the staff. Decent with potential is how I would describe it. It's not great or even thrilling, considering both coordinators have had some rough patches in recent memory. Still, I don't think we should discount the positives either. Etcheverry's Sask defense was really good. That shouldn't be overlooked. Nor should MB's offense in Hamilton with Glenn at QB.

I think you can make an argument, depending on how much emphasis you put on their succesess or failures, that they were good or bad hires. I think we are trying to classify hires immediately as good or bad when really, the lines are blurred.