Latest Lawless article

IC Khari

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/First-Take-Bombers-cant-chase-signing-Burris--243333831.html

Actually agree with quite a bit in this article, unfortunately the optics for the organization of not being able to get him signed here will not be good I fear. Fair or not Walters and Miller have to deal with the legacy of both Mack and Kelly. They need to sign him to show the difference they will provide to the way we now will operate (ie. spend some money for the sake of winning).

That's a good article. I remember the 1980's when Lunsford would break the bank signing Dieter Brock and almost every year the guy wouldn't show up at training camp and would demand more money. Then when he did show up we would run into the immovable object that was the Edmonton Eskimos and lose anyway. I am for giving Hank a fair deal, but if he wants to play games and demand more than he is worth then he can go sling pigskins in Ottawa or Edmonton for all I care, and pull his Frank routine the first time he sees a snowflake.

I like the approach this article has taken and congrats to Gary Lawless for presenting it this way. 

That's two good pieces in a row for the man, and if he keeps this up, he'll be one of this off-season's writers' training camp's survivors.

"The deal the Bombers have offered Burris, the CFL’s passing leader the past two seasons, is solid. Well over $300,000 per season with a two-year term. No other team in the CFL is in a position to make such an offer and as much as the Burris camp wants to rumble about multiple offers, Winnipeg’s is the best out there. Walters doesn’t need to negotiate against himself."

Pretty much agree with this whole paragraph.

And another point, made more obvious by the absence of his name being tossed around, is that of Wade Miller.

He's mentioned here, but it seems that he is operating in the background like he said he would be, and is letting Walters handle the big boy's chair.

Keep it up Wade.

I wonder if the Blue have made an offer to Willy yet?

Unable to do so as he is still property of the Riders.

Do we know if the Riders made an offer?

Last thing mentioned is that they're going to let him go to FA because they like their 3rd string more than him...

I don't know why anyone's upset that Burris hasn't signed.  There is little or nothing in it for him to sign right away.  Our offer isn't going to go away because we need a starting QB and he is the best one available.  On the flip side, there is only one starting QB spot left in the CFL so if he wants to start then he will have to sign with us.

Burris wants the most money he can get and he wants as much as possible as base salary + before the season starts bonuses.  The Bombers want to get him for the least money possible and they want most of it to be reaching high plateau playing bonuses.  I think they will come to an agreement because it's in the best interests of both sides.

I'm curious about how well the Ticats will actually do without Burris running their offence. Sure "what's his name" played great for Toronto when called on but this is a new system and he's still virtually a rookie. Something tells me Hamilton is not going to do that well this year and many will say they should have re-signed Henry.

Would say that this is a good piece written by Lawless, but will reserve my opinion until the part 2 of this article is written.......... either when Burris signs here or snubs the Bombers.

I'm curious about how well the Ticats will actually do without Burris running their offence. Sure "what's his name" played great for Toronto when called on but this is a new system and he's still virtually a rookie. Something tells me Hamilton is not going to do that well this year and many will say they should have re-signed Henry.

If they cut their turnovers by 1/3 they'll be scrapping with Toronto for first.  Without Burris at QB that's a good possibility.

Lawless seems to want to downplay Burris having other options. Ottawa is currently out zero dollars interns of having paid money to their current QBs. They could phoney up for Burris and the worry later about who actually makes it there as QB. Montreal has AC's money now available to pay out to Burris. They resigned The perhaps heir apparent prior to AC's retirement so they had to factor that into their cap equation.

You can play chicken all you want but I would be careful of how many QBs remain in the Cfl henhouse to sign.

A well balanced article by Lawless who removes his usual biased personal opinions about the WBB organization.   While I somewhat agree that this rebuild should be slow and steady.  I'm not sure this organization can afford another 2 - 3 years of below average performance.  

So when a QB like the caliber of Henry Burris comes on the market.  You must make a serious play as the Bombers are the only team without a proven starting QB. 

A well balanced article by Lawless who removes his usual biased personal opinions about the WBB organization.   While I somewhat agree that this rebuild should be slow and steady.  I'm not sure this organization can afford another 2 - 3 years of below average performance.  

So when a QB like the caliber of Henry Burris comes on the market.  You must make a serious play as the Bombers are the only team without a proven starting QB. 

This.

Need a better performance to remove the joke vibe we seem to have and to put butts in the seats.

Its more about timelines... Glenn would be cut around TC? Or even kept around for a few games... demarco is not making top dollar... Glenn is prob 200k?

Anyway, glenn has more market value - salarywise and egowise - edm, wpg, mtl, maybe bc... Someone would pay for him

Never thought of the 'ottawa has zero money laid out' argument... Would really make sense to sign burris as your starter while demarco develops and trade glenn for picks or players...

There were reports that Glenn had a signing bonus come due in the middle of January. Not sure how much it was but the RedBlacks do have some money tied up in him.