McManus supposedly a Drew Willy supporter

Mr. Perfect

The more this plays out, the more I'm tempted to say to hell with it and pull the offer off the table if I was Walters and spend the money elsewhere.

This is all part part of the negotiation process. Patience.

I'm well aware how negotiations work, but being a rebuilding team, a 39 year old QB come training camp needs us a hell of a lot more than we need it. The money can better be used elsewhere.

On what exactly? QB is easily the most important position and biggest need for the Bombers.

The more this plays out, the more I'm tempted to say to hell with it and pull the offer off the table if I was Walters and spend the money elsewhere.

I'm well aware how negotiations work, but being a rebuilding team, a 39 year old QB come training camp needs us a hell of a lot more than we need it. The money can better be used elsewhere.

On what exactly? QB is easily the most important position and biggest need for the Bombers.

I'm not disputing that it is our biggest need. That being said the goal of a franchise is to year in and year out be a championship contender. At 39 years old, Burris does not give you that.  This is about the bigger picture.

I'm not disputing that it is our biggest need. That being said the goal of a franchise is to year in and year out be a championship contender. At 39 years old, Burris does not give you that. This is about the bigger picture.

You can do both, and that's what Walters is working towards. It's not short term OR long term.

Walters is working to build a competitive team for next season (Burris etc) and long term (Willy).

I'm not disputing that it is our biggest need. That being said the goal of a franchise is to year in and year out be a championship contender. At 39 years old, Burris does not give you that. This is about the bigger picture.

You can do both, and that's what Walters is working towards. It's not short term OR long term.

Walters is working to build a competitive team for next season (Burris etc) and long term (Willy).

Again, I'm aware of that, but I think it would be a shame if bickering with Henry over X amount of dollars ends up costing us someone like Henoc. I'd be more than happy to go into the season with Willy as our QB. Sure he may not have the statistical season Burris may have in 2014, but you have your long term QB and you accelerate his development in the process.

Again, I'm aware of that, but I think it would be a shame if bickering with Henry over X amount of dollars ends up costing us someone like Henoc. I'd be more than happy to go into the season with Willy as our QB. Sure he may not have the statistical season Burris may have in 2014, but you have your long term QB and you accelerate his development in the process.
I'm confident signing Burris will have no impact on our ability to sign Henoc. And I just don't see your logic of going with Willy in 2014 when we can get Burris to fill in for a couple years to allow Willy to develop and to fix the OL.

The Bombers need to win NOW. Now isn't the time to be developing another QB. Ticket sales would plummet and set the franchise back even further. Burris and Willy give the Bombers the best of both worlds.

Under your logic you want to give up on Burris because he's taking a few days to make a decision and get a few more dollars out of the Bombers. I don't understand your logic, it's very short-sighted.

unless Burris' ego gets in the way and doesn't want to be the class act Kevin Glenn turned out to be in Cgy. 

Which should be a very real concern. Burris has said himself that he doesn't like to be challenged for his position. He's basically a player that you need to coddle and if you even think about questioning his position on the team he pouts. Not a good team mate or leader. Hell of an athlete but dumber than a stump and very needy. 

You really have no way of knowing whether what you are spouting is true or not! It may be how you feel about things, but that doesn't make any of it true!

...There's actually a lot of history behind his statement. Burris has proven it in Calgary and in Hamilton, and we've seen it via quotes and things from coaches and teammates...

17 is right. Hank said in the locker room after he played his last game in 2011 for the Stamps that he'd never back up Drew Tate as he said he was better. He  was angry losing to the Eskimos in  the WDSF. It wasn't the smartest thing to say right after that loss to reporters & the cameras & probably led to Huff deciding to get rid of him. 

NOW.... that was a totally different situation. In Winnipeg, he'd be the starter. So, I'd more than take the guy as our starter. 

there's no question about whether he's a douchebag or not...it's about whether you're willing to accept it in exchange for him putting up big numbers in the summer, and fading in the fall...

Strong words.  Why would you refer to Burris as a "douchebag"?  Consider the business of football and what Austin just did to him before judging in such harsh terms.

I'm confident signing Burris will have no impact on our ability to sign Henoc. And I just don't see your logic of going with Willy in 2014 when we can get Burris to fill in for a couple years to allow Willy to develop and to fix the OL.

The Bombers need to win NOW. Now isn't the time to be developing another QB. Ticket sales would plummet and set the franchise back even further. Burris and Willy give the Bombers the best of both worlds.

Under your logic you want to give up on Burris because he's taking a few days to make a decision and get a few more dollars out of the Bombers. I don't understand your logic, it's very short-sighted.

On the contrary I would argue your logic is very short sighted. Why do the Bombers need to win now? They don't need to necessarily win now, and frankly to expect them to win now is a bit foolish. Walters has a massive mess to fix in front of him. What they do need to do in the immediate term is be respectable on the field, something that can be done without Henry Burris.

As I said before, the goal of any franchise is to be a championship contender consistently. Signing Henry Burris does not do this. The only thing signing Henry Burris does is MAYBE if you're lucky get you to 7-11 or 8-8 this year. Starting Drew Willy accelerates his development and his him even more ready for 2015/2016 than he would be when Burris is gone when this team is finally ready to contend if the powers that be play their cards right.

My logic has NOTHING to do with giving up on Burris because he's taking his time to decide. My logic has to do with the fact that between now and whenever he makes his decision the dollars on the table are bound to go up with all the teams he is negotiating with. That money can be better spent elsewhere on more LONG TERM investments that will go towards making the Bombers a championship calibre team year in and year out.

I truthfully do not care if we lose out on Henry Burris. I do not see him as some big prize. What I do care about is having the money tied up in a band-aid solution for a couple of extra wins when that money could better be used towards players we are interested in retaining from our free agent crop, or signing free agents that would be long additions such as a Josh Bourke, Shea Emry, Craig Butler, or a Nick Moore just to name a few. All of those players would be MUCH smarter, long term additions than a soon to be 39 year old QB with a shaky track record at best looking for one final pay check that isn't going to bring us any closer to being a consistent Grey Cup contender.

there's no question about whether he's a douchebag or not...it's about whether you're willing to accept it in exchange for him putting up big numbers in the summer, and fading in the fall...

Strong words.  Why would you refer to Burris as a "douchebag"?  Consider the business of football and what Austin just did to him before judging in such harsh terms.

How about because he acts like a douchebag? 

On the contrary I would argue your logic is very short sighted. Why do the Bombers need to win now? They don't need to necessarily win now, and frankly to expect them to win now is a bit foolish. Walters has a massive mess to fix in front of him. What they do need to do in the immediate term is be respectable on the field, something that can be done without Henry Burris.

As I said before, the goal of any franchise is to be a championship contender consistently. Signing Henry Burris does not do this. The only thing signing Henry Burris does is MAYBE if you're lucky get you to 7-11 or 8-8 this year. Starting Drew Willy accelerates his development and his him even more ready for 2015/2016 than he would be when Burris is gone when this team is finally ready to contend if the powers that be play their cards right.

My logic has NOTHING to do with giving up on Burris because he's taking his time to decide. My logic has to do with the fact that between now and whenever he makes his decision the dollars on the table are bound to go up with all the teams he is negotiating with. That money can be better spent elsewhere on more LONG TERM investments that will go towards making the Bombers a championship calibre team year in and year out.

I truthfully do not care if we lose out on Henry Burris. I do not see him as some big prize. What I do care about is having the money tied up in a band-aid solution for a couple of extra wins when that money could better be used towards players we are interested in retaining from our free agent crop, or signing free agents that would be long additions such as a Josh Bourke, Shea Emry, Craig Butler, or a Nick Moore just to name a few. All of those players would be MUCH smarter, long term additions than a soon to be 39 year old QB with a shaky track record at best looking for one final pay check that isn't going to bring us any closer to being a consistent Grey Cup contender.

You don't get it. If Bombers don't start winning some games now, our new stadium is going to max out at 22-25k fans per game. How's that going to impact the long term sustainability of the team. If we don't start winning we will never attract free agents. And do you honestly think Bourke, Butler or Moore are coming to Winnipeg? They aren't.

The Burris short term and Willy longer term strategy is a sound one. The short term success Burris will help us obtain will help us in the long term. It will make us a respectable organization once again, in the eyes of outsiders.

You don't get it. If Bombers don't start winning some games now, our new stadium is going to max out at 22-25k fans per game. How's that going to impact the long term sustainability of the team. If we don't start winning we will never attract free agents. And do you honestly think Bourke, Butler or Moore are coming to Winnipeg? They aren't.

The Burris short term and Willy longer term strategy is a sound one. The short term success Burris will help us obtain will help us in the long term. It will make us a respectable organization once again, in the eyes of outsiders.

And you don't get what it takes to build a championship team year in and year out. The stadium will definitely have at last a 25K average next season with or without Burris. A new regime, a young QB who looks great when he takes to the field is enough reason for optimism, nevermind the attraction of the stadium itself. Willy can make the organization every bit as respectable with or without Burris. The team has already taken strides to improving how it is viewed in the eyes of players and the league as a whole and will continue to do so. It's not an overnight process where Henry is a prerequisite to make that happen.

As for the free agents named - They were merely examples. We have no idea who Walters has on his hit list for free agents.

The Bombers and this new regime need to build for sustainable success.  Even with Burris, we're miles behind Saskatchewan, Calgary and BC.  Burris went 2-6 against the West last season with a better team than we'll have, 1 win each over BC and Edmonton.  There's almost no chance we get a home playoff game.  While Burris is leading our team, we gain nothing in terms of developing a QB who could possibly be our franchise QB.  QB's develop by playing in games and getting meaningful practice reps.  They don't get that when they are 2-3-4 on a depth chart, especially behind a guy like Burris.  Burris has made it pretty clear in his last two stops that he is not interested in mentoring young QB's, he's interested in being an undisputed starting QB.  So we waste a year on Burris, win 6 games (assuming things go reasonably well) and we're right back where we started at this time in 2015.  No answers at the QB position.

This is the time to toss the legitimate prospects out there and find a QB.  Our team is going to be bad anyways, and there are no expectations for this upcoming season, we should be building towards being a playoff team in the West in 2015, and a Grey Cup contender in 2016.

This is the time to toss the legitimate prospects out there and find a QB.  Our team is going to be bad anyways, and there are no expectations for this upcoming season, we should be building towards being a playoff team in the West in 2015, and a Grey Cup contender in 2016.

We're definitely in a "damned if we do…damned if we don't " situation right now.

We do need a top prospect right now.

If we sign Burris, do we scare off Willy?

If we don't sign Burris, the international award for football ineptness will be bestowed upon us and we still run the risk of not getting Willy.

So, we sign Burris, bring in at least one prospect, and work him into the lineup…Burris's ego be damned.

And once again the fans think we can only afford one player in free agency....

Says who? Or are you just assuming and making things up on the fly again?

Says you!!  You wrote - > Again, I'm aware of that, but I think it would be a shame if bickering with Henry over X amount of dollars ends up costing us someone like Henoc. 

I find your posts to be far from Perfect.... I'd say you're more Brooklyn Brawler with the continuous fails that you make. 

So this team now has 3 qbs under contract... none of them are making "big money" ....  They offered Collaros more money then Hamilton .....  so for some reason you don't think they cant use that same "pot" of money to put towards Burris????    This team is loaded with young guys are very few "big time all stars" so how is it that a team like Calgary can afford to re-sign Tate and Mitchell and sign a cfl vet for a 3rd stringer and yet still be able to pay big money for their all stars like Cornish , Lewis and so many others......   yet Winnipeg wouldn't be able to sign Burris (at a discounted price) and Muamba???   

I love how Winnipeg's salary cap is apparently only 20% the size of every other teams.....

Says you!!  You wrote - > Again, I'm aware of that, but I think it would be a shame if bickering with Henry over X amount of dollars ends up costing us someone like Henoc. 

I find your posts to be far from Perfect.... I'd say you're more Brooklyn Brawler with the continuous fails that you make. 

So this team now has 3 qbs under contract... none of them are making "big money" ....  They offered Collaros more money then Hamilton .....  so for some reason you don't think they cant use that same "pot" of money to put towards Burris????    This team is loaded with young guys are very few "big time all stars" so how is it that a team like Calgary can afford to re-sign Tate and Mitchell and sign a cfl vet for a 3rd stringer and yet still be able to pay big money for their all stars like Cornish , Lewis and so many others......   yet Winnipeg wouldn't be able to sign Burris (at a discounted price) and Muamba???   

I love how Winnipeg's salary cap is apparently only 20% the size of every other teams.....

Having the right mindset isn't always the popular mindset.

Now, coming from a guy who was serious about inquiring about Steven Jyles last year...pot meet kettle.

Someone like Henoc is an EXAMPLE hence why I said "someone like". The cap will go up, and probably a decent amount because of the new TV deal. The fact is, is that guys like (but not limited to) Turner, Vega, Edwards, Banks, January, Henoc (if he signs) all get paid handsomely. If the team decides to pursue top tier free agents from other teams they will also get paid handsomely. If you think Burris is coming here at a discounted price, you are kidding yourself since there have been reports he has offers in excess of $300,000. Granted that's fair market value for him, and that price will continue to climb as teams continue to negotiate. You're kidding yourself, and frankly making a fool out of yourself (again) if you think Burris is coming here at a discounted price.

I never once said Burris signing here would cost us Muamba. I suggested as a hypothetical (that isn't too big of a word for you is it?) that it would be a shame if a band-aid solution in Burris ended up costing us "someone like" Muamba.

But hey, keep making yourself look silly, I'm certainly not going to stop you.

Hopefully one of those interested teams is Edmonton, and then maybe we can get Mike Reilly instead.

Sure, I'd be totally down for that if it happened. I have no issue paying top dollar for a QB, I just want it to be for a long term fix and not some guy that will win us a couple extra games and ride off into the sunset come 2016 or so.

Now, coming from a guy who was serious about inquiring about Steven Jyles last year...pot meet kettle.

Someone like Henoc is an EXAMPLE hence why I said "someone like". The cap will go up, and probably a decent amount because of the new TV deal. The fact is, is that guys like (but not limited to) Turner, Vega, Edwards, Banks, January, Henoc (if he signs) all get paid handsomely. If the team decides to pursue top tier free agents from other teams they will also get paid handsomely. If you think Burris is coming here at a discounted price, you are kidding yourself since there have been reports he has offers in excess of $300,000. Granted that's fair market value for him, and that price will continue to climb as teams continue to negotiate. You're kidding yourself, and frankly making a fool out of yourself (again) if you think Burris is coming here at a discounted price.

I never once said Burris signing here would cost us Muamba. I suggested as a hypothetical (that isn't too big of a word for you is it?) that it would be a shame if a band-aid solution in Burris ended up costing us "someone like" Muamba.

Once again how does every other team manage to sign free agents while having a high priced qb and lots of other all stars on their team......     you are making yourself look silly.

Burris has to come at a discounted price....  using your ridiculous theory  how could any other club in the CFL "afford" Burris at a high price when they already have a QB on their team making big money.    

Discounted price is still higher then what Hall or Pierce was making last season... but it's not like he is going to be making the most money in the league considering he was dumped and his *only* chance at starting is with Winnipeg.

Turner, Vega, Edwards, Banks, January, Henoc ????  

How did Saskatchewan manage with  Durant, Sheets, Dressler, Getzlaf, Geroy Simon, Labatte, Picard,  Chick , Foley, Hall etc....

How did Calgary afford  Glenn, Tate, Mitchell, Cornish, Lewis, Hughes, Simpson, Tsoumpas etc...

But apparently from your theory us signing a bunch of average guys equals us not being able to sign both a QB and one NI LB....  it's hilarious.    This team *should* be able to sign a whole crap load of players considering we were the youngest team and we by far had the cheapest set of QB's across the league last year.  So many guys on entry level contracts and so few big time players. 

Once again how does every other team manage to sign free agents while having a high priced qb and lots of other all stars on their team......     you are making yourself look silly.

Burris has to come at a discounted price....  using your ridiculous theory  how could any other club in the CFL "afford" Burris at a high price when they already have a QB on their team making big money.    

Discounted price is still higher then what Hall or Pierce was making last season... but it's not like he is going to be making the most money in the league considering he was dumped and his *only* chance at starting is with Winnipeg.

Turner, Vega, Edwards, Banks, January, Henoc ????  

How did Saskatchewan manage with  Durant, Sheets, Dressler, Getzlaf, Geroy Simon, Labatte, Picard,  Chick , Foley, Hall etc....

How did Calgary afford  Glenn, Tate, Mitchell, Cornish, Lewis, Hughes, Simpson, Tsoumpas etc...

But apparently from your theory us signing a bunch of average guys equals us not being able to sign both a QB and one NI LB....  it's hilarious.    This team *should* be able to sign a whole crap load of players considering we were the youngest team and we by far had the cheapest set of QB's across the league last year.  So many guys on entry level contracts and so few big time players. 

Again, since you can't read very well, where did I say we won't be able to add pieces - it was posed as a hypothetical - NOT stated as a fact that we wouldn't be able to.

Why does Burris have to come at a discounted price? Because you say so? You really don't pay attention very well do you? Our offer to Collaros was in the neighborhood of $250,000 - If you don't think Burris is getting offered AT LEAST this much you are out to lunch. Again as i said, reports have said he has offers exceeding $300,000 dollars. That is not a discount rate - That is what someone like Burris should command on the open market. Burris is in the position of power here, we are not. He may come here at the end of the day, but in no way, shape, or form will it be at a discounted rate.

Winnipeg is not his only chance to start. He'll start in Montreal and he'll start in Edmonton as well. He isn't being pursued by others to sit on the bench. That statement of yours in itself saying Winnipeg is his only chance to start shows exactly how out to lunch you are. Both of those teams have made offers, that's been reported. It's also been reported there are people within the Eskimos organization who are not sold on Reilly. You don't have MULTIPLE offers exceeding $300,000 to sit on the bench. Period.

I'll also bring to your attention the following tweet from Milt Stegall, who just maybe has a better grasp on the team than you do given his connections to the club...

"Milt Stegall @MiltStegallTSN Jan 31

@DoorMatt95 @24banks @henryburris @Wpg_BlueBombers after signing Korey and Henry I don't think much money is left"

If that is so difficult to comprehend, then i don't know what to say for you, and feel rather sorry for you.