CFL Stuff..

Mr Dee

illegal contact on a receiver is what is called when there is interference before the ball is thrown.

pass interference is what is called when the ball has already left the QBs hands.

If a DB interferes with a receiver and the ball is already en route to another spot on the field, unless it was something egregious, keep your flags in your pockets. 

If a DB takes a jam play too far, pulls and tugs, etc. at a receiver before the ball is thrown, which may cause the QB to take another read, maybe even hold onto the ball and get sacked, etc, throw the flag, 10 yard penalty. replay the down.

Here, specifically, is the wording Johnson used in the article and is easy to agree with. 

Note the key word that is bolded in this paragraph:

First, once the standards are agreed upon, it is incumbent on the league office to make sure everyone is, as he put it, "speaking the same language." In other words, to be consistent there has to be consistency in the message. Johnson stated, "the language used to instruct our officials has to be the same language we use when explaining those rules to coaches, players and the fans of the game." 

Johnson, who has spent the last twenty-seven years as a technology executive, also thinks that the league can continue to use technology not only as a teaching tool but also as a way of communicating with fans, and would like to see greater transparency in the process. Johnson explained, "if we are all speaking the same language, then there will be an overall better understanding as to how rules are assessed and applied."

Striving for, and achieving consistency, is subject to human failure.

That is where the question of challenges and replays comes into question adding yet another layer to coaching decisions.

We, as fans, have to decide if it's worth it, and on the surface, if this new thinking cuts down on mistakes in interpretation at least once a game, then it must be considered worth it.

At least Johnson recognizes a grey area and is open to change.

All I know is that I get tired of seeing a PI call almost every time a deep pass is thrown downfield. It seems 8 out of 10 times the ref will flag it. Too many PI calls. And receivers calling for a penalty after they drop a catchable ball. Let the players play.

Let's face it, interference by a defender is going to happen, it's in the nature of playing this game, and it absolutely has to be called.

Streamlining the definition will help.

Better training for refs will help. (both physically and mentally)

Defined video review would help.

Even in the NFL, there is extreme difficulty in agreeing and calling interference unilaterally, and they have the best refs, usually in the best position.

Human frailties will prevail in split second decisions and for that, they can't always be faulted.

I'd love to see a flag thrown every time some damned receiver comes up after dropping a pass demanding a flag.

hate it so much when receivers do that. just play through it and it's more likely the refs will see the interference. 

Edwards would be the most penalized guy in the league

And the end of the day, its a moot point until the officials are trained and developed properly.. The majority of them miss cals left right and centre.. Oblivious it seems at times... At this point, id even consider going with an off-site ref eye in the sky spotting infractions and telling refs to make the call or making the call themselves somehow... I realize they are human and i realize human error factors into the equation but the refs themselves are missing a ton of calls every game..

If they want to get back to actual football, start calling offensive pass interference properly.  SJ Green has made a career out of being able to get away with interference on lazy route running.  If a DB gets position it shouldn't matter how long the receivers arms are and how much separation he can get by extending them into the DB at the right time, or holding on to a DB who has him beat on a route and tossing the DB at the right time.  You can use your body, but you need to win your position, much like rebounding in basketball, you can't just shove the other guy going for the ball and pick up the rebound.

Probably won't happen and if anything they'll make defense even more difficult to play to favour offence.

I certainly don't understand the Stamps trade with Hamilton shipping off Spencer Armstrong for the other guy whose French Canadian last name is too long to remember. The Stamps were really high on Armstrong. They drafted him in 2009 but he had his military commitments & couldn't report. He finally got out of the US Air Force late last year & made it up to the Stamps in September & eventually got on the field for 1 game. Huff seemed to like him. Then, poof... he was traded to Hamilton for another backup Canadian receiver. A trade for depth is how I see it, but still... Just strange.

Then Huff signs qb Adrian McPherson. The first comments from the Calgary media was that he was signed to take Glenn's role on the roster. Not his spot but his ROLE... No way McPherson can do anything close to what Glenn did for the Stamps as he has nowhere near the ability. The signing is a real head scratcher. I'm thinking the Stamps are going to trade Drew Tate & having McPherson is insurance for BLM.

I certainly don't understand the Stamps trade with Hamilton shipping off Spencer Armstrong for the other guy whose French Canadian last name is too long to remember. The Stamps were really high on Armstrong. They drafted him in 2009 but he had his military commitments & couldn't report. He finally got out of the US Air Force late last year & made it up to the Stamps in September & eventually got on the field for 1 game. Huff seemed to like him. Then, poof... he was traded to Hamilton for another backup Canadian receiver. A trade for depth is how I see it, but still... Just strange.

Then Huff signs qb Adrian McPherson. The first comments from the Calgary media was that he was signed to take Glenn's role on the roster. Not his spot but his ROLE... No way McPherson can do anything close to what Glenn did for the Stamps as he has nowhere near the ability. The signing is a real head scratcher. I'm thinking the Stamps are going to trade Drew Tate & having McPherson is insurance for BLM.

The receiver from Hamilton is Simon Charbonneau-Campeau. He will instantly be the Stamps' best Canadian receiver. Just watch. He was stuck behind Fantuz and Giguere in Hamilton but he is a stud.

ARASH MADANI

JANUARY 8, 2014, 1:13 PM

Just days after Jonathan Martin walked out on the Miami Dolphins, amidst allegations of bullying inside the organizations walls, the B.C. Lions added the offensive lineman to the team’s confidential negotiation list, sources told Sportsnet.

ARASH MADANI

Just days after Jonathan Martin walked out on the Miami Dolphins, amidst allegations of bullying inside the organizations walls, the B.C. Lions added the offensive lineman to the team’s confidential negotiation list, sources told Sportsnet.

We really thinking he going to fall this far thru the cracks or more like having tebow on your list?

ARASH MADANI

We really thinking he going to fall this far thru the cracks or more like having tebow on your list?

Hey...Tim Tebow is a good running back.

ARASH MADANI

Just watch - he'll accuse Joey Elliott of bullying him after he gets "dumb-assed" during training camp.

I certainly don't understand the Stamps trade with Hamilton shipping off Spencer Armstrong for the other guy whose French Canadian last name is too long to remember. The Stamps were really high on Armstrong. They drafted him in 2009 but he had his military commitments & couldn't report. He finally got out of the US Air Force late last year & made it up to the Stamps in September & eventually got on the field for 1 game. Huff seemed to like him. Then, poof... he was traded to Hamilton for another backup Canadian receiver. A trade for depth is how I see it, but still... Just strange.

The receiver from Hamilton is Simon Charbonneau-Campeau. He will instantly be the Stamps' best Canadian receiver. Just watch. He was stuck behind Fantuz and Giguere in Hamilton but he is a stud.

If he's THAT GOOD then why did the Ti Cats part with him? Be interesting to see how he does. 

ARASH MADANI

Hey...Tim Tebow is a good running back.

RB, FB, TE, prayer leader..