Bomber Cuts And Practice Roster Announcement

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have announced that the following players have been released:

• Import Receiver Kurt Adams
  • Import Defensive Lineman Zach Anderson
  • Import Defensive Back Bert Brown
  • Import Linebacker Wendell Brown
  • Import Quarterback Chase Clement
  • Import Defensive Lineman Dexter Davis
  • Import Defensive Lineman Anthony Degrate
  • Non-Import Offensive Lineman Brendan Dunn
  • Non-Import Fullback Carl Fitzgerald
  • Import Defensive Lineman Marquis Frazier
  • Import Defensive Back David James
  • Import Receiver Trevor Kennedy
  • Import Defensive Back Dekota Marshall
  • Import Receiver Jameze Massey
  • Import Receiver Quintin McCree
  • Import Receiver Wallace Miles
  • Non-Import Punter Billy Pavlopoulos
  • Import Defensive Back Wesley Pendleton
  • Import Offensive Lineman Aderious Simmons
  • Non-Import Safety Teague Sherman
  • Import Linebacker Ian Wild

Carter ends up on the Practice Roster (good job):

Original Story Here

WINNIPEG Rifles receiver Brett Carter will not be on the roster of the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season.

Carter made a strong case for consideration in the team's two exhibition games this month, hauling in five passes.

His name was not among the 21 official cuts the Bombers made on Saturday, but head coach Tim Burke said Carter will not be a regular in 2013.

The good news in the scenario is the 20-year-old will be able to practise with the Blue Bombers until the Rifles' junior season begins.

"He will do that, and we're glad," Burke said, explaining that Carter fits the bill as a "territorial player," and thus can participate in workouts.

Original Story Here

Not long after 21 players were sent packing by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers early Saturday, head coach Tim Burke said it only confirmed his belief that cut-down day is among the worst days of the year.

"For the most part easy (decisions), but there are always some guys that take it hard," Burke said. "It's not fun doing it, I can tell you that.

"It's no fun telling somebody they're fired. So now that I've been on both ends of it, they're equally terrible."

Now that the bulk of personnel decisions have been made, Burke was asked, based on training camp and the team's two exhibition games, which produced an 0-2 record and not a single touchdown, how today he would sum up the 2013 edition of the Bombers.

"We're a lot more veteran than we've probably been as we start the year," he said. "We're healthy for most part. We'll just have to go out and play and see how we do.

"I would hope that we would be improved in the secondary. I think that we'll see continued growth with our offensive line. If they build on what they did last year at the end of the year, I think we'll see definite improvement there. Our protection should be better this year.

"I hope our backup quarterback play (will be) better than it was last year."

The coach was also asked if he'd have a message for his roster players, now that those decisions have been made.

"The message I have for them: 'We didn't play a lot of veterans in the second pre-season game but we practise at game speed. It's a necessity we practise at game speed so that when we do go out for the game, it's like we've already been in a pre-season game.'

There were no bombshells Saturday, leaving last week's release of defensive back Jonathan Hefney as the shocker of training camp.

But of significance, the Bombers made their call on their three quarterbacks. Behind starter Buck Pierce will be Justin Goltz and Max Hall, as Chase Clement was the odd man out.

"Yeah. It was a spirited debate," Burke said of the quarterback discussion. "I think we decided that Max was probably the guy who knew our offence the best and could run it a little bit better. But it was pretty equal."

Burke said he didn't think Clement would accept a spot on the nine-man practice roster (five imports, four non-imports maximum). In that case, Winnipeg is likely to add a fourth quarterback to the practice roster, "a younger guy that's just coming out of college, I would think."

With fullback Carl Fitzgerald and punter Billy Pavlopoulos among Saturday's cuts, that leaves the Bombers with no one on their active roster from the 2013 CFL draft to start the season. Burke said it's possible both of those players could wind up on the practice roster.

Looking ahead to Thursday's season-opening game against Montreal, the first CFL regular-season game at Investors Group Field, the coach pronounced his lineup mostly healthy, though linebacker Johnny Sears and slotback Kito Poblah are unlikely to play for health reasons.

Burke did say that in Poblah's spot for the opener, either Rory Kohlert or Jade Etienne will be getting the start.

For Sears, we're likely to see either Desia Dunn or Jeremy McGee in that role on Thursday.

As far as declaring other jobs won where there had been question marks, the coach did say Terrell Parker has earned the weak-side linebacker position, Kenny Mainor will be a starter at defensive end, Shannon Boatman will be the starting right tackle and Paul Swiston is likely to be the team's sixth offensive lineman, leaving some sort of decision to be made on the status of O-lineman Tyson Pencer.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers have announced their practice roster:

• Import Defensive Lineman Zach Anderson
  • Import Defensive Lineman Dexter Davis
  • Non-Import Fullback Carl Fitzgerald
  • Import Receiver Wallace Miles
  • Non-Import Punter Billy Pavlopoulos
  • Import Defensive Back Wesley Pendleton
  • Non-Import Safety Teague Sherman
  • Import Linebacker Ian Wild

Meanwhile, placed on the one-game injured list to start the season were:

• Import Running Back Chris Garrett
  • Import Receiver Doug Pierce
  • Non-Import Receiver Kito Poblah
  • Import Defensive Back Johnny Sears Jr.
  • Non-Import Defensive Lineman Jake Thomas

As well, OL Tyson Pencer was placed on the nine-game injured list.

Wonder why the PA doesn't make a stink about the 9 game IR being used for extra practice roster spots.  Sure the guys get paid full salary, but who knows if they were exposed to waivers they might actually get a chance to play.  Hamilton has at least 3 guys on their 9 game who are "injured," we have Pencer.  Maybe they can come up with some kind of protected list where guys have to clear waivers to be put on it.

But Mack was a fool to lose him and he was supposed to be ready. So Westwood was wrong?

Hmm, so we are talking about what a smart move it is to place Pencer on the 9-game but if Bowman is on the 9-game, its proof that his career is over and we were right to drop him?  I'll wait and see.  I'd still take Bowman for half a season right now...

Whoa.  SIX guys on the 9-game?  8 on the 1-game...  

Hmm, so we are talking about what a smart move it is to place Pencer on the 9-game but if Bowman is on the 9-game, its proof that his career is over and we were right to drop him?  I'll wait and see.  I'd still take Bowman for half a season right now...

Bowman likely still injured.  Pencer is hidden.  I get the argument but you're comparing 2 separate situations

You are going to see ALOT more guys on Injured Reserve across the league this year... Teams know they are losing signed players at the end of the year and we know from the draft are already preparing for that eventuality.

That's what it looks like. Assuming the rosters on the various team sites are up to date, here's some of the 9-game injured lists totals:

Cal 6

Sask 3

Ham 6

Mont 3.

Offhand I can't remember what's 'normal' but I would guess 1 or 2.