Major Football Ops Announcement @ 12:30 Today: Mike O'Shea New Bombers HC

Mike

Any chance the announcement has anything to do with the city being awarded the Grey Cup? Normally a coaching hire announcement is just made in the Bombers media room at the stadium. Something seems strange about having a big press conference at the Fairmont unless it was big news involving the city...

I think they thought they could keep it a secret till the announcement that if they had to move him from the hotel to the stadium that it would get out. Also probably easier to allow fans to come watch at a hotel than the stadium media room.

Both are big announcements & warrant separate news conferences. They'd never have 2 announcements like those together. This day is for the new HC. The  GC announcement will be for another.

Burke , as the archtiect of "Swaggerville", had the team in the palm of his hand and still screwed the pooch. O'Shea wasnt even a DC and gets promoted with less coaching experience than Kavis Reed.

Sceptical on this hire.

You loved the George Cortez hire, so I'm okay with your opinion.

Compare their coaching resumes before making the jump to HC and you would see why. Far as I can see O'shea was hired because ...

1. He was a good player on good teams. 2 . He coached something.

Burke , as the archtiect of "Swaggerville", had the team in the palm of his hand and still screwed the pooch. O'Shea wasnt even a DC and gets promoted with less coaching experience than Kavis Reed.

Sceptical on this hire.

Compare their coaching resumes before making the jump to HC and you would see why. Far as I can see O'shea was hired because ...

You're right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he is regarded as one of the best on-field leaders in the history of the CFL.

Have a feeling thar MB ends up as our OC...

Don't see sask letting cortez go and we need some exp

Glad oshea is here and the decision is made-announed... Really liking these moves

If Cortez has an opportunity to be a HC in the CFL or elsewhere or even leave to go be an OC somewhere else in the league, the Riders can't hold him. All assistants have an out clause after the season to go to other teams in the CFL or elsewhere. How productive would it be for the Riders to not allow Cortez to pursue other opportunities & they have a disgruntled coach on their hands?

Have a feeling thar MB ends up as our OC...

Don't see sask letting cortez go and we need some exp

Glad oshea is here and the decision is made-announed... Really liking these moves

If Cortez has an opportunity to be a HC in the CFL or elsewhere or even leave to go be an OC somewhere else in the league, the Riders can't hold him. All assistants have an out clause after the season to go to other teams in the CFL or elsewhere. How productive would it be for the Riders to not allow Cortez to pursue other opportunities & they have a disgruntled coach on their hands?

Saskatchewan doesn't have a choice no matter what.

It's not a case of them "not allowing" him or him exercising an out clause. He's not under contract to them. He's free to do what he wants.

Sceptical on this hire.

You're right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he is regarded as one of the best on-field leaders in the history of the CFL.

Sceptical on this hire.

That aint coaching and you know it.

Sceptical on this hire.

That aint coaching and you know it.

I don't really think you know what a head coach does.

Players now may actually want to come here & not view the team as a wasteland or where coaches & players go to have their careers killed. We have some of the best if not the best facilities in the CFL now. That has to be s a major selling point once the team turns the corner on the field. Blue Bomber fans are loud & proud. The city just aches for a winner & the place will go freaking nuts when we do.... This could be an exciting place to play in a year or two.

I know being a professional HC is more than " hey, guys , be like me when I played. "

And it's also a lot more than drawing plays on a whiteboard and barking formations into a headset, which is apparently the only things guys like Cortez and Burke are good at.

I know being a professional HC is more than " hey, guys , be like me when I played. "

And it's also a lot more than drawing plays on a whiteboard and barking formations into a headset, which is apparently the only things guys like Cortez and Burke are good at.

Or being a madman  on the sidelines like Creehan.

Or just yelling at the refs and giving your inconsistent QB withering looks as he throws an INT in the last two minutes and loses the game, like Austin.

Or just yelling at the refs and giving your inconsistent QB withering looks as he throws an INT in the last two minutes and loses the game, like Austin.

You wouldnt want Austin as HC here?

Zontar, In a heartbeat, yes. Of course we'd like Austin here. KBF is just sayin'. Austin started off as a rookie HC in Regina & look what he did & has done since....Not all rookie HC's fail. Burke was a bad communicator &  his skills running a team were just not there. Thing is, you just never know with a rookie head coach, right? It was evident to a lot of fans (except Buchko & Mack) that Tim Burke wasn't HC material & never should have got an extension when he did. O'Shea played a lot of  years in the CFL on a lot of winning as well as championship teams. He also played & coached  under some great coordinators & head coaches so I think he has learned & understands the CFL very well. But like I said earlier, you just never know with a rookie head coach. I am optimistic that O'Shea will  be a great leader & have better instincts as well as having the Bombers better prepared as a head coach than Tim Burke ever did.

Is it really though? Hire good coordinators and what more does a head coach need to do? Cortez may be a brilliant Xs and Os offensive coordinator but he sucked balls as a head coach. It's a real different skill set. Need to be a leader first and foremost. 

You wouldnt want Austin as HC here?

Not sold on Austin the GM. At least not yet.

Would love him as my HC though. 

And yeah, a ballsy player to great HC. Hope OS is the same way. 

Is it really though? Hire good coordinators and what more does a head coach need to do? Cortez may be a brilliant Xs and Os offensive coordinator but he sucked balls as a head coach. It's a real different skill set. Need to be a leader first and foremost. 

I hope you're at least half-joking here...

Any chance the announcement has anything to do with the city being awarded the Grey Cup? Normally a coaching hire announcement is just made in the Bombers media room at the stadium. Something seems strange about having a big press conference at the Fairmont unless it was big news involving the city...

Judging by the media people, it was done for convenience as the majority of them were at the MTS Centre for roar of the rings.