Etienne Grabs A Clue

Original Story Here

Remember how during the off-season there was some speculation whether this would be the year the Winnipeg Blue Bombers finally give up on receiver Jade Etienne?

Things have changed -- quickly and dramatically.

"I think he's really come a long ways," head coach Tim Burke said Saturday afternoon following practice at Investors Group Field.

And then Burke dropped this bombshell: "I think (Etienne) is not only competing to be on the 42-man roster, he's competing to be a starter."

Say what now?

Continued at link ...

I really hope Jade Etienne becomes the Manitoba posterboy for why people need to shut up and let development run it's course before trying to label a guy a bust.

Good luck with that.  Even if Jade becomes a Hall of Fame receiver, the same whiners will always find a reason to whine about something.  It's called chronic inability to ever see a bigger picture.

No kidding guys. Jade Etienne is only now at the age that guys like Marco Iannuzzi and Nate Coehoorn were when they were drafted... let's see what he's capable of now that he's had a couple years of coaching, development, and fitness training under his belt. He really is fast and has nice hands... with his size, he could be the legit threat that Mack thought he could be.

Good luck with that.  Even if Jade becomes a Hall of Fame receiver, the same whiners will always find a reason to whine about something.  It's called chronic inability to ever see a bigger picture.

Is the team going 6-10 again?  Because if so, yes I'll find something else to whine about. 

I hope Jade does as well as you all think he will. 

Is the team going 6-10 again?  Because if so, yes I'll find something else to whine about. 

I hope Jade does as well as you all think he will. 

at this point, I have an incredibly open mind.  I don't know if he'll do well or tank. But at least you guys could do the same, and give the kid a chance.  All the pissing and moaning about JE over the past two years has been ridiculous.  You guys just constantly set yourselves up for a fall.

at this point, I have an incredibly open mind.  I don't know if he'll do well or tank. But at least you guys could do the same, and give the kid a chance.  All the pissing and moaning about JE over the past two years has been ridiculous.  You guys just constantly set yourselves up for a fall.

Nice turn about!

The one thing that I like about what they're saying regarding Etienne is that he's catching everything. Hands matter more than just about everything else for a receiver and it' sthe #1 thing that's keeping Poblah from being the guy everyone expected him to be when he was draftred. I really hope Etienne grabs a starting role and does well with it because it really would go a long way to vindicating the draft strategy from this team. 

Seriously doubt that.  I see what you're saying, but I'm getting pretty tired of this "Oh! Remember when I said he didn't suck and now he's awesome!  You suck!" or, "Oh! Remember when I said that guy was going to be terrible and now he is! You suck!".  Everyone just HAS to be right and let everyone else know about it.

Seriously doubt that.  I see what you're saying, but I'm getting pretty tired of this "Oh! Remember when I said he didn't suck and now he's awesome!  You suck!" or, "Oh! Remember when I said that guy was going to be terrible and now he is! You suck!".  Everyone just HAS to be right and let everyone else know about it.

Personally, I just like it when other people are wrong... especially when they've been complete ass-clowns throughout the whole process. Etienne has been a contentious issue for a couple years, so you'll have to forgive those few of us who have been preaching patience in the face of 'Bust this' and 'Harry Potter that'.

Personally, I just like it when other people are wrong... especially when they've been complete ass-clowns throughout the whole process. Etienne has been a contentious issue for a couple years, so you'll have to forgive those few of us who have been preaching patience in the face of 'Bust this' and 'Harry Potter that'.

yeah there were enough people were very adamant that Etienne was a wasted pick and would be cut before he ever did anything for the team, if those people are shown to be wrong, based on the way they acted about it they deserve to have their noses rubbed in it.

I like when people are wrong just as much as the next person, just... so tiring.

I missed this Harry Potter thing though!

yeah there were enough people were very adamant that Etienne was a wasted pick and would be cut before he ever did anything for the team, if those people are shown to be wrong, based on the way they acted about it they deserve to have their noses rubbed in it.

So if Etienne doesn't become a star, all those people who have had his back for 2+ years should have their noses rubbed in it?  Nope!  Folks who turn out to be wrong shouldn't  have their noses rubbed in anything.  All that does is create a lousy atmosphere.  The Nah, nah, nah, and the 'I told you so's' should remain in grade school where they belong.

On one play during the exhibition game, where Kurt Adams dropped a ball after he got a step behind his defender, Jade had about two steps on his defender, and there was zero safety help. If either Kurt caught that ball, or the pass was thrown to Jade and he hauled it in, it was a sure TD. Sure they were playing against some lower rung Argo defenders, but I watched Jade the whole play and he beat his man like a red-headed step child.

So if Etienne doesn't become a star, all those people who have had his back for 2+ years should have their noses rubbed in it?  Nope!  Folks who turn out to be wrong shouldn't  have their noses rubbed in anything.  All that does is create a lousy atmosphere.  The Nah, nah, nah, and the 'I told you so's' should remain in grade school where they belong.

If they are wrong then yes, rub it in! There are so many people who show up with this attitude that "It's my opinion and you can't question that because I'm allowed my opinion!" and they need to realize that opinions are usually wrong. You don't like people calling you out for being wrong maybe it's a clue to just tone it down a notch. 

If I were saying 'ra ra ra Jade Etienne will be a perennial All-Star' and that turned out to be wrong I'd say you have a case. I can only speak for myself, and I was preaching patience in opposition to those writing him of as 'too weak' or 'too frail' as if anyone could possibly know how tough the kid really is from the bleachers.

The guy was taken on potential alone. If he lives up to that potential then anyone who would have cut him in the past couple years based on their preconceived notions about how long players should be allowed to develop before being considered a bust... can go suck a lemon.

If I were saying 'ra ra ra Jade Etienne will be a perennial All-Star' and that turned out to be wrong I'd say you have a case. I can only speak for myself, and I was preaching patience in opposition to those writing him of as 'too weak' or 'too frail' as if anyone could possibly know how tough the kid really is from the bleachers.

The guy was taken on potential alone. If he lives up to that potential then anyone who would have cut him in the past couple years based on their preconceived notions about how long players should be allowed to develop before being considered a bust... can go suck a lemon.

And that's the difference right there. Some fans were only supporting young Etienne, not hovering over him waiting for him to fail.

There were two primary schools of thought on Jade Etienne.

"he sucks" and "let's wait and see"

I don't remember many, if any, people proclaiming he was a future all-star lock. But I remember dozens proclaiming with 100% certainty that he was useless garbage. If you ask me, those people deserve to have it shoved in their face when/if he proves them wrong.

There were two primary schools of thought on Jade Etienne.

"he sucks" and "let's wait and see"

I don't remember many, if any, people proclaiming he was a future all-star lock. But I remember dozens proclaiming with 100% certainty that he was useless garbage. If you ask me, those people deserve to have it shoved in their face when/if he proves them wrong.

Agreed. I've never wanted to see a player do well more than Etienne, just for the pure joy of rubbing the noses of people I don't know in it.