Etienne Grabs A Clue

I was and still am disappointed with picking Etienne at 4... and yeah, if he works out, rub my nose in it, cool.  I'd rather have a good receiver and take some shots on a (no-offence) meaningless forum to be honest.

We needed NI receiver help desperately in 2011 (and 2010, 2009...) - now when Etienne may be good-to-go, we also have Kohlert and Carter who appear ready as well...  For sure, thats a bonus, but yeah, its a bit late.  Whatever.

I always think when an athlete pulls on the Bue n Gold i am 100%behind him.Why a couple people go on about a young promising WR is beyond me.They also bring in his mother and the short time they lived in Sask. They are a great family and hopefully the boys in Blue n Gold have a great season. 

I was and still am disappointed with picking Etienne at 4... and yeah, if he works out, rub my nose in it, cool.  I'd rather have a good receiver and take some shots on a (no-offence) meaningless forum to be honest.

We needed NI receiver help desperately in 2011 (and 2010, 2009...) - now when Etienne may be good-to-go, we also have Kohlert and Carter who appear ready as well...  For sure, thats a bonus, but yeah, its a bit late.  Whatever.

Let's be honest here.

Carter is a great story. But he ain't ready.

Let's be honest here.

Special teamer (at most) right now .. if he's in our lineup with any regularity .. we're in trouble.

I'm rooting for the kid and it looks good that he's making a push but there's no way he cracks the 42 (or 46 for that matter).

Let's be honest here.

Well, if we're really being honest...  looking good in TC and pre-season against TOs backups is what it is...  Carter and Etienne are still HUGE questions marks, Kohlert and Poblah have only shown glimpses, so we have one proven NI receiver who also happens to get hurt alot.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I was trying to be positive, ha!

I'll be happy if Etienne can just play ST's, contribute like everybody else & not be a liability out on the field. Just doing that would be a huge improvement over the past 2 seasons. And as far as shoving it in my face about Etienne? Well, I've been on these boards for years, it's not like it would be the first time. Seeing the kid improve would make me feel happy for him. Mike, the only thing I'll say is that respect is earned & it is never given. Third year pro should play ST's. The receiver part will come if he continues to  work hard.

There were two primary schools of thought on Jade Etienne.

"he sucks" and "let's wait and see"

I don't remember many, if any, people proclaiming he was a future all-star lock. But I remember dozens proclaiming with 100% certainty that he was useless garbage. If you ask me, those people deserve to have it shoved in their face when/if he proves them wrong.

mainly because people were so positive and 100% sure he was to be a bust, never to suit up, blah blah..

now cue the "but we ment not good pick cuz not game ready.." retorts..

You'll never win this SPuDs....;) People have opinions. I never felt he sucked as a football player. I just felt that if he can't play ST's then he should be on the PR & not dressing for games. Everybody who dresses other than the backup qbs need to contribute to a victory in some way. That was my big complaint. They should have let him develop on the PR....

Special teamer (at most) right now .. if he's in our lineup with any regularity .. we're in trouble.

I'm rooting for the kid and it looks good that he's making a push but there's no way he cracks the 42 (or 46 for that matter).

It'll be great if he makes the Taxi Squad. I spent a lot of time watching him last game, and i'll say this much - he got open quite a bit.

If Etienne seems ready then why not Carter? Their stats were virtually the same last game. Both have impressed in practice. What's the diff? I'd say they're even. 

So Burke says Etienne could challenge for a starting receiver spot, and that it would be a great story if Carter stuck with the team. How on earth is that "even", other than your assessment that they had similar stats in an exhibition game?

There is no scenario where a guy in his third camp with a professional club -- who is getting rave reviews from the coaching staff -- is even with a 20-year-old junior player who managed to do well enough (and good for him!) in TC to earn a base-level contract.

It's all performance based, comedygeek. They'll start 20 year old Brent Carter if they feel he can help them win. If they think Etienne better helps them win then they'll start him. I remember a fresh faced 21 year old rookie named Joe Poplawski right out of the University of Alberta in 1978 make the team as a starting wide receiver, I believe. That year he was Rookie Of The Year. In 1979, Joe Pop moved inside & supplanted veteran Gord Patterson as a slot. 

you're missing the perspective though. A 3rd year guy impressing is different than a jr. player impressing. Jr. guy impressing is done simply by not looking out of place at a professional camp, 3rd year guy impressing means a lot more because it means he's elevating himself above other players who also have pro experience. 

If Etienne seems ready then why not Carter? Their stats were virtually the same last game. Both have impressed in practice. What's the diff? I'd say they're even. 

I guess by that logic, they're both starting quality receivers and better than everyone but CM13.

From today's Free Press

Burke continued to be complimentary of the play of local receiver Brett Carter, but said it's unlikely he will make the team because of the team's "plethora" of good receivers.

Got to love (or hate) Burke's brutal honesty.