Buck's Rusty But Healthy

sorry. disagree completely.

i saw Bomber QBs taking more and harder hits than any other team's QBs. no, that's not all on the O-Line (the QBs and Crowton/Lapo can share the blame), but nobody can tell me that Bomber QBs were protected well.

are you including the entire year or just looking at how things went towards the end of the season? Because to the start of the year it was horrendous, but it did get better as the year went on, and the sooner Swiston pushes Morley to the sidelines the better it will be.Saw a much improved running game as the season wore on as well. Looking at where they started the year and where they finished only a fool would dismiss the dramatic improvement.

when a QB gets pulled for fear of OMG BLITZES! i think that the line still may be a work in progress...

Only thing I will say about that is that in the pre season players substitute freely so there may be situations on the OL where there are mismatches Burke didn't want to see with Buck in there. That's the only thing I can think of.

What's the difference between hoping Reilly can be the next guy and hoping Hall can do it? Hall started game in the NFL, that's a damned sight more impressive than anything Reilly has done...

Cleo Lemon says hello.

All I will say is that if the next Buck injury is not the end of his time as Winnipeg's starting QB, I will have a hard time keeping the faith.

Unfortunately, the Bombers should have cut ties at the end of last season.

When is the last time the Bombers have actually had the patience and strength of will to suffer through the early development of a QB that could eventually lead us for the next decade?

McManus doesn't really count because we let him walk in free agency.  Dieter Brock back in '75?  Am I forgetting anybody else?

Almost 40 years!  How many QB's has Wally Buono developed in less time?

And yet, we keep on giving the ball to a beat up QB way past his best before date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OptA-zxtM5M

That game is just a real good example of Buck Pierce at his best... you notice how many highlights were of Pierce running? I just don't believe that this grand plan of trying to turn him into Calvillo who has huge protection and throws the ball quickly is going to be effective. Pierce was a good qb because he could absolutely make a defense pay with his legs, without that I just don't think he's dangerous enough.

I dont think he can even run anymore anyway though. I think he's done. He'd serve the team a lot better in the role of assistant OC and QB coach.

are you including the entire year or just looking at how things went towards the end of the season? Because to the start of the year it was horrendous, but it did get better as the year went on, and the sooner Swiston pushes Morley to the sidelines the better it will be.Saw a much improved running game as the season wore on as well. Looking at where they started the year and where they finished only a fool would dismiss the dramatic improvement.

Agreed... The offensive line is really coming a long! If we had a Kevin Glenn or Danny McManus type of QB, our O-line would be looking like one of, if not the top unit in the league this year IMO.

The way I see it, is if Our defence is as good as it was in 2011, we'll make a serious push this year regardless of our passing game, with the run game being tops in the league, and ST's will being pretty damn good with Dickenson here.

Agreed... The offensive line is really coming a long! If we had a Kevin Glenn or Danny McManus type of QB, our O-line would be looking like one of, if not the top unit in the league this year IMO.

The way I see it, is if Our defence is as good as it was in 2011, we'll make a serious push this year regardless of our passing game, with the run game being tops in the league, and ST's will being pretty damn good with Dickenson here.

I disagree. If teams can focus on shutting down your running game, you're toast.  

You can't be a one-dimensional team and "make a serious push".  You have to have at least a serviceable passing game to compliment the running game, which is uncertain if we even have that at this point.

sorry. disagree completely.

i saw Bomber QBs taking more and harder hits than any other team's QBs. no, that's not all on the O-Line (the QBs and Crowton/Lapo can share the blame), but nobody can tell me that Bomber QBs were protected well.

The Bombers had the 4th ranked OL in the league last year statistically by the time it was all said and done and that's even factoring in our horrendous start so you're out to lunch on that one.

The Bombers had the 4th ranked OL in the league last year statistically by the time it was all said and done and that's even factoring in our horrendous start so you're out to lunch on that one.

those stats count sacks... but they don't count QBs hit, hurried, rushed or how hard they get nailed. i never buy 'em.

The only thing certain is that a scrambling QB (CFL or NFL) are going to get injured sooner rather than later. Doesn't matter if it's Buck or RG3, Burke and Crowton are doing the right thing by having him stay at home more and increasing the protection. He'll still have the chance to escape which will keep defences honest.

The only thing certain is that a scrambling QB (CFL or NFL) are going to get injured sooner rather than later. Doesn't matter if it's Buck or RG3, Burke and Crowton are doing the right thing by having him stay at home more and increasing the protection. He'll still have the chance to escape which will keep defences honest.

Don't be surprised when he's ineffective.  Buck isn't a pocket passer.  He doesn't make quick decisions, nor does he have a quick release.  He's had the two worst seasons of his career (2011, 2012) while trying to become a pocket passer.

Don't be surprised when he's ineffective.  Buck isn't a pocket passer.  He doesn't make quick decisions, nor does he have a quick release.  He's had the two worst seasons of his career (2011, 2012) while trying to become a pocket passer.

Sure, he might not be the guy and there is nothing stopping them from trying the next and the next, all I'm agreeing with is the concept of protecting the QB so that he has the time to make the throws instead of running for his life or getting blindsided.

We had an average but developing OL last year. One that improved as the year went on and looked much better near the end. January is a good tackle. Greaves and Sorenson are young and developing nicely. Swiston looks to be primed to join them this year. Plus Pencer and Dunn await in the wings.

The Bombers need to move on from Buck. You can't be worried about your QB being blitzed or hit and hope to succede.

We had an average but developing OL last year. One that improved as the year went on and looked much better near the end. January is a good tackle. Greaves and Sorenson are young and developing nicely. Swiston looks to be primed to join them this year. Plus Pencer and Dunn await in the wings.

The Bombers need to move on from Buck. You can't be worried about your QB being blitzed or hit and hope to succede.

It's not just worrying about Buck though, every Bomber QB has missed time due to injuries since 2011. That's a systemic problem, not just a personnel one. Time to change the entire system when a 40 year old fragile as a twig Calvillo can make it through an entire season while our meat grinder goes through 3 a year.

It's not just worrying about Buck though, every Bomber QB has missed time due to injuries since 2011. That's a systemic problem, not just a personnel one. Time to change the entire system when a 40 year old fragile as a twig Calvillo can make it through an entire season while our meat grinder goes through 3 a year.

None of them possess the accuracy and quick release of Calvillo.  IMO, they're shoving a square peg into a round hole by trying to emulate a system that was designed for Calvillo.  Max protection needs pinpoint accuracy from the QB to be effective...I don't think we have that.

Buck holds on to the ball too long and doesn't do himself any favours. It's no suprise he takes more hits then anyone. For a guy thats been around his pocket awareness is that of a rookie. Everyone knows you blitz the Buck and he gets extremely un accurate extremely quickly. At this point it doesn't really matter if he's healthy or not. If you're going 0-5 against a third string defense there is HUGE problems. I'm sure we'll see a lot of Hall and Goltz this year as I don't see Buck staying healthy all season!

Every Buck injury that I can remember happened behind the line of scrimmage.  The 2010 knee, the 2010 elbow, the 2012 foot, the 2012 Bradon Isaac hit, the 2012 shoulder.  I don't think that his downfield running is to blame for his injury problems.  

Let's face it. Buck's QB qualities do not include quick releases and standing firm in the pocket. He needs to move around and run, but he is no longer capable/able to perform like Buck of old.

Can this ploy of Crowton/Burke work?

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.