Buck's Rusty But Healthy

Original Story Here

Consider the following:

If Winnipeg head coach Tim Burke carries through with his plan, Blue Bombers QB Buck Pierce will line up behind centre during the opening game of the 2013 CFL season June 27 having thrown just five passes in the pre-season -- one of them to a Toronto Argonauts defender.

Burke said Wednesday following the Bombers' 24-6 pre-season loss to the Argos that Pierce's brief appearance in the first quarter -- he played just three series, went 0-for-5 with an interception and was hit three times -- will be his only game action until he lines up against the Montreal Alouettes in the regular-season opener for both teams at Investors Group Field.

Burke was adamant Wednesday night -- and he repeated it to reporters on Thursday afternoon -- that he is comfortable Pierce will be ready to go versus Montreal and would prefer to use Winnipeg's final pre-season game Thursday against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to take a look at the three men who are vying to be Pierce's backup -- Justin Goltz, Max Hall and Chase Clement.

Continued at link ...

Continuing on my last thought from another thread ...

Burke continues to coddle the most unimpressive veteran on this team. The approach to the most important part of our team this offseason has me so uninspired right now. I feel like we're throwing a ticking time bomb under center and it's only a matter of time until Goltz or Hall get their shot, which will be the best possible thing that could happen.

Pretty obvious the Argos were coming after him so why expose him to injury? I think it's actually a good move. Now, if Burke does that in the regular season then I agree there's a problem. But exhibition? I'm okay with that.The Argos never dressed Ray. AC had one series yesterday. Burris never even dressed... The teams have to protect their qbs.

I couldn't agree with you more Mike.

Let me be clear though.  I love the attitude and leadership Pierce brings .. it's hard not to like his style of play .. but he's been a drag on this team for some time now.  I would maybe even argue that his whole time in Winnipeg was an ill connceived effort to bridge the span of time before we found our next franchise QB.   At any rate, I said the same things about Kevin Glenn when he was here (and oft injured): continued injuries, inconsistency and the inability to rely on a player *IS* a detriment to the team.  At some point, you simply need to move on.

I hope Pierce proves me wrong but if history has taught us anything, Hall and Goltz should see plenty of action this year.

Glenn wasn't often injured, he would be rattled and play scared if he was hit but it wasn't nearly as bad as Buck. With Buck it's simply delaying the inevitable....so for our sakes hopefully Hall gets some decent game time and shows that he can play and by mid season he can at least be serviceable once Buck brakes whatever bones he has left that are healthy.

This isn't a huge surprise, we all knew and know what the deal is this year after Mack released Elliott...

Mike - I lost faith this off season when they didn't give Buck the axe or at least demote him to 3rd string and move into a new direction.

If Buck comes back as the starter after being knocked out then I will lol and will anxiously await who will be our new HC next season.

All I will say is that if the next Buck injury is not the end of his time as Winnipeg's starting QB, I will have a hard time keeping the faith.

It depends on when this injury happens, how many games we've won before it happens, and most importantly, what the backups do while he is injured. 

It depends on when this injury happens, how many games we've won before it happens, and most importantly, what the backups do while he is injured. 

Not to me, it doesn't.

If he gets hurt, he's done.

For good. I don't care how good/bad the backups are, I'd rather be developing with SOME hope than have no hope whatsoever.

I watched Goltz being interviewed on CTV last night (it was in the locker room after the game on Wednesday) and he was clearly hot that he didn't get more playing time.  Good to see that he is a competitor and wants to get out there and show what he can do.  Clearly he feels he's the number two and he got shafted in that game against the Argos.  In any event, I hope he gets a full half to strut his stuff in hell-hole in Guelph.  Time for Goltz to step up and grab it, as you know Hall wants it just as bad.

Mike - I lost faith this off season when they didn't give Buck the axe or at least demote him to 3rd string and move into a new direction. If Buck comes back as the starter after being knocked out then I will lol and will anxiously await who will be our new HC next season.

why new HC? he isn't the one who didn't get more/better/different QB options into Bomber training camp... or some new meat in to protect him... Burke is just playing the man who shows the best ability at the position.

why new HC? he isn't the one who didn't get more/better/different QB options into Bomber training camp... or some new meat in to protect him... Burke is just playing the man who shows the best ability at the position.

I disagree.

Oh please, Burke was lobbying HARD to get Buck back as a starter. I got the impression that Mack would have been ready to move on if not for Burkes insistence that he wanted PIerce to start. 

Pretty obvious the Argos were coming after him so why expose him to injury? I think it's actually a good move. Now, if Burke does that in the regular season then I agree there's a problem. But exhibition? I'm okay with that.The Argos never dressed Ray. AC had one series yesterday. Burris never even dressed... The teams have to protect their qbs.

The problem is that we are a the point where simply blitzing renders our starting qb completely useless. You can't play in the CFL if you make defending your offense that easy. Pierce is done as a player and veteran or not the bombers needed to move on and they're not doing it.

I wonder what the expectations are for our offence in game 1 if the starters aren't being given a chance to work the kinks out for at least a half in the 2nd pre-season game.  Unless this is in preparation for some kind of 2 QB system where Goltz is gonna play or a move away from Buck sooner than later it makes zero sense.  If we are that afraid of Buck getting injured than he shouldn't be our starter to begin with.

I watched Goltz being interviewed on CTV last night (it was in the locker room after the game on Wednesday) and he was clearly hot that he didn't get more playing time.  Good to see that he is a competitor and wants to get out there and show what he can do.  Clearly he feels he's the number two and he got shafted in that game against the Argos.  In any event, I hope he gets a full half to strut his stuff in hell-hole in Guelph.  Time for Goltz to step up and grab it, as you know Hall wants it just as bad.

Based on the way Burke is running camp, if you aren't playing you're probably in pretty good shape.

I'd like to see a two-QB system, where if Buck goes two-and-out a few times, we throw in Goltz to mix it up.  It worked great against the Arblows in that game where we kicked their sorry asses - we brought in Brink for a series and he just sneaked his way all the way down the field while the Argo defence just stood there bewildered.  It's good to throw in a guy here and there to throw off the defence, especially if the guy that's in doesn't get a rhythm going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OptA-zxtM5M

That game is just a real good example of Buck Pierce at his best... you notice how many highlights were of Pierce running? I just don't believe that this grand plan of trying to turn him into Calvillo who has huge protection and throws the ball quickly is going to be effective. Pierce was a good qb because he could absolutely make a defense pay with his legs, without that I just don't think he's dangerous enough.

Oh please, Burke was lobbying HARD to get Buck back as a starter. I got the impression that Mack would have been ready to move on if not for Burkes insistence that he wanted PIerce to start. 

of course he was. what were the other options put in front of him? Burke's no fool... he didn't want to start the year with rookies and backups with no experience.

But also tough for the offense to be productive when there's different guys under centre. Need that familiarity...

you talking about a 2 qb system or just when PIerce inevitably gets injured? Let's be absolutely honest here, we're not going through the season using only 1 qb, and quite likely it'll be more than 2 qbs anyway so why not keep the backups involved in the game since they'll have to play at some point?

of course he was. what were the other options put in front of him? Burke's no fool... he didn't want to start the year with rookies and backups with no experience.

That remains to be seen.... How often do you see a guy take over from a fired head coach and have his team get shut out the following week? There's plenty of reasons to wonder if Burke is any kind of head coach, he's got a lot to prove this season about whether he can wear the big hat or if he's just a good coordinator. 

Hitching your wagon to Pierce at this point is not what anyone calls a smart move. He is no where near the qb he used to be and if he can't stay healthy anyway you might as well find your next guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OptA-zxtM5M

That game is just a real good example of Buck Pierce at his best... you notice how many highlights were of Pierce running? I just don't believe that this grand plan of trying to turn him into Calvillo who has huge protection and throws the ball quickly is going to be effective. Pierce was a good qb because he could absolutely make a defense pay with his legs, without that I just don't think he's dangerous enough.

Nothing saying that Buck can’t still be a good two-dimensional player.  He can still make plays with his feet.  It’s the how the plays end that need to change.  Get rid of the ball, hook-slide, run out-of-bounds, and do what your coaches are asking of you.

Nothing saying that Buck can’t still be a good two-dimensional player.  He can still make plays with his feet.  It’s the how the plays end that need to change.  Get rid of the ball, hook-slide, run out-of-bounds, and do what your coaches are asking of you.

but they're asking him to be a pocket passer! Which is stupid in and of itself cause the guy has gotten hurt in the pocket more than outside of it in his time here anyway... but besides that, when was the last time you saw Pierce actually able to run that effectively? Here's your answer, august 2011 against the esks. That's the last time I can remember Pierce actually being really elusive and quick with his legs. Physically that guys gme has fallen a long long way.