"What If..."

Noeller

...so there's a rumour that Burke might be staying on, and taking a demotion to DC, and that's why he hasn't been let go yet. 

Is there any way this would actually work? What qualified HC would want to come into a situation where he's saddled with a DC that he didn't pick? 

It's just a rumour, but since there's so little to talk about right now, I figured a "What If...??" thread might give us something to bullshit about...

From Burke's point of view I guess it really wouldn't make sense to stay on as DC. He could get a year off with pay Amd start clean in 2015.

The only reason it would make sense for him to stay would be for him to repair his image since it probably is really hurt at this point.

I'm pretty sure if he gets tired that several other teams would want him as a DC.

When we hired Tim Burke as our DC I saw it as an enormous coup for the team, considering that he was arguably the best DC in the league and had a wealth of previous coordinator experience. But it was LaPo who hired him, and if LaPo didn't think that Burke suited the team for whatever reason then LaPo wouldn't have hired him - best DC in the league or not. The point is that a Head Coach should have the freedom to choose his own staff, not have staff assigned to him no matter their credentials. My two pennies.

Edit: I should add that if the new HC actually wants Burke around as DC I'd be thrilled to keep him on.

If rumours are true that Khari Jones is our new HC, maybe he's already said that he'd like Burke to stay? That would be a tough pill for Burke to swallow, but if he could deal with it so could I. Has that ever happened before?

I believe the Jones rumour more now than I did a week ago when it first surfaced on this forum. It's coming from more sources now.

If rumours are true that Khari Jones is our new HC, maybe he's already said that he'd like Burke to stay? That would be a tough pill for Burke to swallow, but if he could deal with it so could I. Has that ever happened before?

I believe the Jones rumour more now than I did a week ago when it first surfaced on this forum. It's coming from more sources now.

The concern would be how does a rookie head coach deal with the ex head coach being under him? Is Burke still trying to act like a head coach? The only way this can work is if everyone 100% buys into the roles. personally I'm in favour of just doing a clean sweep and starting fresh but IF everyone is on board 100% then I suppose it could work.

What if its Khari that's going to be the HC. Who does he bring in to be a OC? Do we still need to bring in a QB coach in or is it enough that Khari will be around.

Bob Dyce will make sense as his OC but who knows. As for QB coach, he could fill the roll or could hire a guy like Marcus Crandell

I don't like this idea. It's pretty clear if it happens that the Bombers want Burke to earn his money. So, picture this scenario. A first year President (Miller) with a half season experience. A General Manager (Walters)  with half a year experience & little or no contacts in the US. A rookie HC (Khari Jones) with no head coaching experience. Our former head coach (Burke) demoted to DC. This is the group that is going to turn this thing around??? Wow. Good luck.

I'm personally of the opinion that it will be difficult for Burke to be effective as a DC here.  The main reason being that it will likely be difficult to get buy-in from the locker room.  He was an abject failure as a HC.  He threw players under the bus to the media.  And presumably if this situation plays out, he's going to be demoted. 

I regard Tim Burke as being a very good DC.  I'd love him as our DC under any other circumstance.  But in Winnipeg, he is the face of a really bad team that was steered very poorly.  For that reason, I'd think Burke would absolutely need next season to be a smashing success from the get-go.   

Wouldn't we rather a new HC bring in his own personnel, who will have more rope, and opportunity to change the culture?

If Burke wants to be here as DC, then that is a coup for us.  He's arguably the best DC in the CFL.  The only thing that has changes since he was promoted is he has gained experience.  The good and bad that came with being HC will only add to his knowledge and experience.

I see no issue with locker room buying in.  By all accounts Burke was very respected by his players when he was DC.  And this team is going to look very different anyway.

If Khari is HC (and I sort of hope he is now just to spite some people who called that rumour ridiculous), its something he is already aware of.  Which means I am sure bosom buddies Wade and Khari have discussed staff.  ie. which guys do you want fired and which do you want to keep.  As an offensive guy, Khari might look at Burke and say Hey this guy is one of if not the best DC is the CFL, ofcourse I want him.  He has the experience to be left alone to run the D.

As for why Burke would take the job?  Thats tough.  He was asked that question on the last coach's show and he sort of hedged a bit saying he cant answer that because he hasn't been fired and wouldnt know how he'd feel.  And while he could decline and spend a year on the beach collecting money, he sounds like a guy with a strong competitive spirit who sincerely loves being here and is gutted by the lack of success.  He might see the DC job offer as a positive.  If he truly would "do anything to help this team succeed" then that's putting his expertise to work.  And besides, if he's making HC money to be the DC, then good for him.  Sitting out for a year is not going to get him in the running for a future HC position.  Staying on as DC in a city he is used to, feels welcome in etc, and helping turn the Bombers around *could*.

But are there legit rumours or simply rampant fan speculation?

1. Don't think he's the best DC in the CFL. I'd take Chris Jones over him for one.

2. Optics of such a move are brutal.

3. Don't think he has enough credibility in the locker room anymore.

4. Too much potential for conflict.

Noel Thorpe and Rick Campbell have done a better job than Chris Jones this year.

From Burke's point of view I guess it really wouldn't make sense to stay on as DC. He could get a year off with pay Amd start clean in 2015.

Not directed at you specifically but why do people always think a fired coach would want to take a year off and collect the money rather than coach.

Not directed at you specifically but why do people always think a fired coach would want to take a year off and collect the money rather than coach.

agree... look at George Cortez, he could have take a year off and collect money while sitting pretty at home but he chose to go to the Riders and serve as OC. some people chose to earn their keep while working hard for it, some people chose to sit and relax while receiving their ration. Not to say the one is better and the other is bad. To each his own.

If Miller is the defacto GM then why not name him President of Football Operations & let him run with it? Keep Walters as an Asst GM & hire his own head coach. Not make Walters the GM & then he pulls the guy's strings. All this does is just muddy everything as no one seems to know what Miller has his hands into. Just what are the duties of a Team President with the Bombers anyway? Certainly things are diffferent with Miller than with Garth Butchko. Everything seems to change from day  to day... To me that's not a huge hooray for Miller. I just fear that this is going to turn into another 3 year **** show because the Bombers...  Just... Don't... Get... It. It's not about rewarding friends. It's about finding the best people possible to turn this team around. Something this team just never wants to do.