Wade Miller named President & CEO

sweep the leg

I guess the brain idiots realized if they didn't do this by Thurs. they would be stuck until after the Cup. More outstanding foresight by the Board of Old Boys. Now the similar exhaustive search for GM can begin. Similar to that of Buchko and Miller. Miller will be the defacto, closet GM regardless of or if he can find a suitable puppet other than Walters.

Groundhog Day....... 4 more years of bad football.

I guess the brain idiots realized if they didn't do this by Thurs. they would be stuck until after the Cup. More outstanding foresight by the Board of Old Boys. Now the similar exhaustive search for GM can begin. Similar to that of Buchko and Miller. Miller will be the defacto, closet GM regardless of or if he can find a suitable puppet other than Walters.

Groundhog Day....... 4 more years of bad football.

Nice burn...

He'll be a good hire IF he doesn't meddle with the football side of things...

As someone who knows Wade lets just say the odds of him "staying outta the football side" are somewhere between slim and none. 

He'll be in his GM's ear whenever he sees fit, which for him makes a sock puppet the ideal GM -- or Walters. 

This is a concern all us fans should have.

Also I wonder what Miller is going to do in terms of the business side, can he bring in more corporate dollars ?

So Doc  Tell me what skills do you believe your perfect hire would possess?   Quite frankly you seem to have this "anything but Winnipeg" attitude.  

So tell me, what would your perfect WBB President look like?    And who would you have realistically hired? 

You seem to take great pleasure in bashing the team, yet you very seldom provide realistic alternative suggestions.  

Miller was one of the smartest guys on the team while he was here. I'm not sure if he's going to be a great hire or not, but you can't discount his intelligence and willingness to win. Those are real good traits to have in a Pres/CEO...

The thing about Miller yes he has a ego but that in my opinion is going to work in his favour. He is going to put every single resource into this club to be successful because at the end of the day if he is the one who turns it around he will be a legend around this city to the day for ever.

His football background? He was a special teams player. That translates into what in terms of running a football team?

Just out of curiosity, why would the position a player played on the field have any bearing on their abilities as a front office guy?

Are you suggesting a QB would make a better president than a long snapper just because they played a more glamorous position?

The football background relevancy comes from being around a team, it's leaders, seeing the day to day operations and what may work / may not. It doesn't come from where you lined up on the field.

yea no kidding.. there is more then a few reasons to frown at this announcement (and some to consider on the positive side as well id add) but his ST player skills really shouldn't be one of them... id say his years of playing and defying conventional football mindsets and being a leader of his squads and teams would be an asset to him..

as would his professional work and his building of companies...

I just don't know personally if it's enough..

Perhaps if we historically review the hiring policies and procedures of the last number of years my so called negative attitude towards this company would make sense. Yes , this company that has continued to make bad hires and pay people not to work. Apply the Bomber business model to any other management model and I would ask you if you would invest in it? Not a thousand or two for tickets as a fan but as a business person.

Take your subjective fan side of this equation and apply an objective business approach and you decide.

Step one is to remove the fans of the BoD, or at the very least reduce or minimize there involvement in hiring people to run this company be it business people or professionals.

This current cycle is a repeat of the poor Board hirings when Cal Murphy was let go. Succession planning and building a sound management structure is paramount. Until that happens we will continue to see the repeating pattern that has evolved.

Perhaps if we historically review the hiring policies and procedures of the last number of years my so called negative attitude towards this company would make sense. Yes , this company that has continued to make bad hires and pay people not to work. Apply the Bomber business model to any other management model and I would ask you if you would invest in it? Not a thousand or two for tickets as a fan but as a business person.

Take your subjective fan side of this equation and apply an objective business approach and you decide.

Step one is to remove the fans of the BoD, or at the very least reduce or minimize there involvement in hiring people to run this company be it business people or professionals.

This current cycle is a repeat of the poor Board hirings when Cal Murphy was let go. Succession planning and building a sound management structure is paramount. Until that happens we will continue to see the repeating pattern that has evolved.

That has nothing to do with what you said though.

You're more than welcome to be negative about this situation, I have my reservations as well. Being welcome to your opinion doesn't give you a free pass to use awful reasoning to back it up.

His football background? He was a special teams player. That translates into what in terms of running a football team?

Just out of curiosity, why would the position a player played on the field have any bearing on their abilities as a front office guy?

Are you suggesting a QB would make a better president than a long snapper just because they played a more glamorous position?

The football background relevancy comes from being around a team, it's leaders, seeing the day to day operations and what may work / may not. It doesn't come from where you lined up on the field.

Never mind that he played both linebacker and fullback right? Seems to me that in terms of on field experience he's about as well rounded as they come having experience in all 3 phases. There's reasons to question the hire but not a single one of them has to do with his football background. 

My worry with Miller is:

- rumours of him being a **** to deal with (I've known some hard-ass bosses but the ones you respect rather than fear were always more effective)

-  his football background making him more likely to interfer with the GM

-  when hiring, giving extra points to guys he was friends with

But I know none of the above are reality, only speculation.  Time will tell.  Lyle could be a real prick too but he was very effective at turning around the Bombers.  His legacy is tarnished by his final moves but his entire body of work was positive.

welcome to every single hiring in the world everywhere. 

welcome to every single hiring in the world everywhere. 

Not everywhere. I've been interviewed in the past on 2 occasions by people I knew well. One was a friend & another a former co worker. And while the interviews may have been out of courtesy to me, I didn't get hired for either position. These were large insurance companies & the 2 managers who  knew me had their reputations to consider & to their credit they hired people who they felt were best suited for the position. I had no problem with that as I understood going into each interview it was strictly a business decision when it came to them hiring. That's how it should be. I've been on both ends of the interview process & I understood the situation. With Miller, from everything I heard & read,  I just get the impression he is going to reward his old teammates because he trusts them. My thoughts are to simply hire the best person at every position be it GM or Head Coach because HE IS THE BEST PERSON  for the team. Trust will evolve because it was a good hire. Success will come because of it.