Wade Miller named President & CEO

sweep the leg

Not everywhere. I've been interviewed in the past on 2 occasions by people I knew well. One was a friend & another a former co worker. And while the interviews may have been out of courtesy to me, I didn't get hired for either position. These were large insurance companies & the 2 managers who  knew me had their reputations to consider & to their credit they hired people who they felt were best suited for the position. I had no problem with that as I understood going into each interview it was strictly a business decision when it came to them hiring. That's how it should be. I've been on both ends of the interview process & I understood the situation. With Miller, from everything I heard & read,  I just get the impression he is going to reward his old teammates because he trusts them. My thoughts are to simply hire the best person at every position be it GM or Head Coach because HE IS THE BEST PERSON  for the team. Trust will evolve because it was a good hire. Success will come because of it.

but to get technical, you still got an interview based on knowing these people right? So that is getting points for prior relationships. It's just the way the world works. It's not what you know it's who you know. 

Not everywhere. I've been interviewed in the past on 2 occasions by people I knew well. One was a friend & another a former co worker. And while the interviews may have been out of courtesy to me, I didn't get hired for either position. These were large insurance companies & the 2 managers who  knew me had their reputations to consider & to their credit they hired people who they felt were best suited for the position. I had no problem with that as I understood going into each interview it was strictly a business decision when it came to them hiring. That's how it should be. I've been on both ends of the interview process & I understood the situation. With Miller, from everything I heard & read,  I just get the impression he is going to reward his old teammates because he trusts them. My thoughts are to simply hire the best person at every position be it GM or Head Coach because HE IS THE BEST PERSON  for the team. Trust will evolve because it was a good hire. Success will come because of it.

but to get technical, you still got an interview based on knowing these people right? So that is getting points for prior relationships. It's just the way the world works. It's not what you know it's who you know. 

Yes, you are right there.

Pure speculation by Friesen. 

I personally would be disappointed if Khari is handed the job.  Again, he's a great guy but not sure he's ready for primetime yet.  I'm a fan of Walter's so I'd be OK with that but honestly I'd like to see Doug Berry back.  But it's possible that Berry stays in Mtl and takes over as HC.   

Yeah, I knew I'd get that response. My answer is that I can't see things being any worse under private ownership for the Bombers than the way it is now. How many people are we paying to sit on their asses now? Four?? This is F Troop calibre stupid the way things are being run now. Fans don't trust the process. Judging by the way Miller answers media questions & his  body language it's apparent to me that he doesn't trust the local media. Perhaps just a small group of people in his inner circle.

Yeah, I knew I'd get that response. My answer is that I can't see things being any worse under private ownership for the Bombers than the way it is now. How many people are we paying to sit on their asses now? Four?? This is F Troop calibre stupid the way things are being run now. Fans don't trust the process. Judging by the way Miller answers media questions & his  body language it's apparent to me that he doesn't trust the local media. Perhaps just a small group of people in his inner circle.

ahh yes, advocating private ownership while bringing up an example of terrible private ownership... It's not private vs. community owned that's the issue here, the issue is that they gotta stop making bad decisions no matter how the bills get paid. 

17, you have to agree that the Blue Bomber model is busted. Anything would be an improvement. I think the era of the Bombers as a community owned team is coming to an end. It may not be tomorrow but give it 5 years. No doubt a sweetheart deal will be reached where the new owner can buy & take over the team without the stadium debt attached to the organization.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/12/potential-grey-cup-matchups-are-all-juicy

Wade Miller will be the real GM in Winnipeg. He thinks he's going to be the next Ken Holland. That's why it will be Kyle Walters or Tom Higgins in Winnipeg. Eric Tillman is too strong for them, and he and Austin are doing great together over in Hamilton. Heard John Murphy has no interest with Miller pulling all the strings. The new Bombers GM is really going to be nothing more than an assistant GM "

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/11/12/interim-dropped-from-wade-millers-presidentceo-title

Miller’s experience gives him the insight to know if his GM, head coach, even his co-ordinators, are doing a good job. The danger is he interferes. There are already rumblings around the CFL that the Winnipeg GM job won’t come with the autonomy it should.

Given an opportunity to refute those suspicions — he could easily have said his GM will have the final say, period — Miller didn’t. “I’ll be involved in football, as anybody would be when it’s such a critical part of our business,” Miller said.

And his role in, say, hiring a head coach? “I’ll work with the general manager and be that second interview you should do within any organization,” he said. “It’s such a critical position for us.

“I’ll work with the general manager and he’ll come up with the best person to move us forward.” Miller left a touch of grey.

Occasional input and guidance is one thing. Simply pulling the strings of a puppet GM is another, entirely. That’s the biggest gamble I see in giving the keys to Wade Miller.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/11/13/bombers-need-to-be-bigger-and-bolder-than-hiring-kyle-walters-and-khari-jones

Some around the CFL say Winnipeg remains a gong show.

A rookie CEO hiring a rookie GM and a rookie head coach would do nothing to prove them wrong.

Wade Miller will be the real GM in Winnipeg. He thinks he's going to be the next Ken Holland. That's why it will be Kyle Walters or Tom Higgins in Winnipeg. Eric Tillman is too strong for them, and he and Austin are doing great together over in Hamilton. Heard John Murphy has no interest with Miller pulling all the strings. The new Bombers GM is really going to be nothing more than an assistant GM "

Why in gods name would Tillman be an option to start with after the hatchet job he did in Edmonton? 

Why in gods name would Tillman be an option to start with after the hatchet job he did in Edmonton? 

Good question.

I was also wondering why Penton believes that Higgins would be a puppet here ?

Higgins has figured out this is not a situation that he wants to be in.

I've heard this as well, from my understanding Higgins was initally interested in the GM & HC role, but seems to be taking a step back now.

Higgins has figured out this is not a situation that he wants to be in.

I've heard this as well, from my understanding Higgins was initally interested in the GM & HC role, but seems to be taking a step back now.

I swear, Miller's comments to the media -- or the way the media is interpreting or presenting his comments -- are going to, or have already, scare any qualified potential GMs away. 

The more the impression builds that he is going to be "hands on" the more he will be left with a handful of nomads, has-been failures, or sock puppets.....

Which is maybe what he wants -- if you drive away all your candidates so you're left with Tillman, three rolls of tape, and Walters, I guess Walters wins the race. 

Can people please post links to where they "heard" such and such a person is not interested in the Bombers?  I see so many of these quotes it makes me wonder who here is making **** up and who's telling the truth.

Link me up with where it says Higgins is not interested in joining the Bombers.

... one

... one

Buchko and Burke is at least two, no?